The Champions League (Mainly Barca) thread

Comments

• verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Now that was an unexpected result. :D

Especially given the first half performance. I'm becoming more convinced as time goes on that Walcott should have opted for a career in athletics, apart from being able to run very fast I'm not sure what he does, he clearly doesn't have a footballing brain.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090

Especially given the first half performance. I'm becoming more convinced as time goes on that Walcott should have opted for a career in athletics, apart from being able to run very fast I'm not sure what he does, he clearly doesn't have a footballing brain.

His hit rate has been far better than Giroud's. Give him time. There has been a few 1 on 1 moments where Walcott has looked like the real deal. It's those one touch moments where he either passes, pulls it back or shoots and there's no time for indecision, that let him down a bit. Top strikers have that ability to do the right thing in an instant.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250

Strange that, he was fine when he left Southampton.

Oh, and as has been pointed out, his hit rate is very good. He tests goalkeepers much more (Neuer will have been glad to see him go off, until he then made the one mistake which handed Giroud the opportunity to face one in without realising), his movement is very good & defenders can't live with him. Arsenal's inability to keep players fit and Wenger's much over-rated "development of players" is what's seen his career have the doubts over it.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023

Oh, and as has been pointed out, his hit rate is very good. He tests goalkeepers much more (Neuer will have been glad to see him go off, until he then made the one mistake which handed Giroud the opportunity to face one in without realising), his movement is very good & defenders can't live with him. Arsenal's inability to keep players fit and Wenger's much over-rated "development of players" is what's seen his career have the doubts over it.

I'm referring to him in the context of a striker who needs to be able to overcome defences at the top level of club and international football, it sounds like you are suggesting that as 16yr old who'd played half a season of Championship football when he left Southampton that he was up to that task. To then say Wenger then ruined that? Really isn't credible is it?

When I watch him play at Arsenal he just seems to stick out like a sore thumb amongst Cazorla, Sanchez etc, they all seem to be able to read and play off each other with the short angled passes and triangles and it looks natural. Theo isn't cut out for that and you can see he doesn't fit in, it looks forced and awkward, like he's never sure where he's meant to be, and his decision making on the ball is all too often rather poor. If he wants to use his pace to run onto balls over the top he needs to be in a team that does just that.
  • pinno

I'm...is it?

When I.... If he wants to use his pace to run onto balls over the top he needs to be in a team that does just that.

I think Arsenal have been more direct this season than they have been for a while. Give Mr Walcott time. After a full season of staying clear of injuries, he may develop. His height is a disadvantage when it comes to balls over the top. At the end of the day, I prefer Walcott up front than Giroud.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,613
    europa-league-is-that-way-thumb.jpg

:wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Could have guessed you would turn up here.
  • Stevo_666
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    he had to show somewhere after last weekend
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • pinno
    he had to show somewhere after last weekend

I don't think he should get rid of the white flag and the shovel just yet.

That YNFA site doesn't work. Put a link up Stevo pls.
  • Stevo_666
    Just Google the ynfa facebook page, easy.
  • Now that was an unexpected result. :D

I'm referring to him in the context of a striker who needs to be able to overcome defences at the top level of club and international football, it sounds like you are suggesting that as 16yr old who'd played half a season of Championship football when he left Southampton that he was up to that task. To then say Wenger then ruined that? Really isn't credible is it?

When I watch him play at Arsenal he just seems to stick out like a sore thumb amongst Cazorla, Sanchez etc, they all seem to be able to read and play off each other with the short angled passes and triangles and it looks natural. Theo isn't cut out for that and you can see he doesn't fit in, it looks forced and awkward, like he's never sure where he's meant to be, and his decision making on the ball is all too often rather poor. If he wants to use his pace to run onto balls over the top he needs to be in a team that does just that.

Theo's movement was excellent and very natural against defences at every level, including international, until Wenger started trying to convince him that he should be playing in another position. And for someone with "isn't cut out for that" he makes more chances than any of your other strikers. :) S'funny isn't it, he's done the same with AOC and Chambers as well - and regardless of what level they played at they were good enough for you lot to part with well over £35m for them all.

By the way, how's the injury list? Still horrendous and the second worst in the history of the PL (only Newcastle are worse over that period) and yet there's nothing wrong with Wenger's methods?! ;)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Stevo_666
  • Stevo_666
    12208414_926379204065642_6237769238949121157_n.jpg?oh=951c85d9bab9ace70e1d0e54d3b0d58d&oe=56C92C49

:D
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    2zhnr5w.jpg
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • pinno
    :D ^
  • pinno
    Just Google the ynfa facebook page, easy.

Thanks Stevo.

11201194_925488524154710_592264701487860049_n.jpg?oh=e2e3c9100450378de9e2dfe40c7dacc0&oe=56F9B778
  • Now that was an unexpected result. :D

Theo's movement was excellent and very natural against defences at every level, including international, until Wenger started trying to convince him that he should be playing in another position. And for someone with "isn't cut out for that" he makes more chances than any of your other strikers. :) S'funny isn't it, he's done the same with AOC and Chambers as well - and regardless of what level they played at they were good enough for you lot to part with well over £35m for them all.

By the way, how's the injury list? Still horrendous and the second worst in the history of the PL (only Newcastle are worse over that period) and yet there's nothing wrong with Wenger's methods?! ;)

Hmmn, you seem to have mistaken me for an Arsenal fan. My opinion of Walcott is formed from an entirely neutral standpoint and it remains the same. Some (maybe most?) high level players are footballers who also become athletes where as others are athletes who become footballers. Walcott is in the latter category imo.

Whilst not being a fan I do find Arsenal's injury list somewhat intriguing, it's become too consistent not to be noticed now. I can't think of any other club where so many players limp off with innocuous sounding stuff like 'calf strain' or 'thigh strain' and end up going missing for months at a time. Not always a Wenger trait though, defenders used to kick the crap out of Dennis Bergkamp and he didn't seem to miss many games.
  • Stevo_666
    Judgment day for Manure tonight - let's see if they can make to the Europa :)
  • pinno

No. I hope that they stay in it because sustaining 3 competitions will be too much for them.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930

YES! they can. :lol:
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,083

YES! they can. :lol:

At least they are in Europe :(
  • Stevo_666
    Man-United-Champions-League-joke-Channel5.jpg

:D
  • Stevo_666
    Squeaky backside time for Chelsea and Arsenal tonight...prace your bets now - who will join Manure on a wet Thursday night in Bulgaria?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Fingers crossed that Chelsea stay in just so I can watch us win the CL but get relegated............... Rather perverse pleasure in that.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    Who's 'us' exactly ?!

I sense a fight coming on.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Who's 'us' exactly ?!

Chelsea. Thought you knew?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    Who's 'us' exactly ?!

Chelsea. Thought you knew?

Oh god... :roll:

Farq me, not another one.

I think that Mourinho chap is thinks he is going to win the CL so the league goings on is a strategic distraction and it is all part of a big plan.
  • Just deciding which CL game to watch with my daughter (she plays!) and she said "lets watch the Chelsea game as it could be Jose's last game in charge"

Made me laugh - who knows she might be right.
  • pinno
    Just deciding which CL game to watch with my daughter (she plays!) and she said "lets watch the Chelsea game as it could be Jose's last game in charge"

Made me laugh - who knows she might be right.

I really hope not. Mourinho and Chelsea are providing us with proper a christmas panto.
    If he goes, can it be in the new year after they crash out to Hull City in the FA cup.

Aside from that, it's perfect Karma for certain Chelsea fans who have waxed lyrical and rubbed everyone's noses in it for a few seasons now. I couldn't have asked [insert Indian deity responsible for Karma here] for anything more for Christmas.