The Champions League (Mainly Barca) thread

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    :D ^^
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Team of the day to support is Brugge. 2 nil would do it.

"Kom op mijn babbies!" as the Flemish would say around here.

I suppose the Bhoys have been up all night checking the registrations of all the Malmo players so that they can try to equal last season's record of being knocked out twice within a month.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,613
    Ho hum. Manure back in the CL. They might get cocky now but it'll keep them occupied. Europa would have been far better for them.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Ho hum. Manure back in the CL. They might get cocky now but it'll keep them occupied. Europa would have been far better for them.

Agree and it will be a trivial pursuit but then, who in the PL can seriously be considered as a potential CL winner?

Woe is Celtic. I got back last night just in time to see the highlights from that fixture.
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616

Might not be too bad a result against Brugge if it convinces LVG that he doesn't need anymore players this window :mrgreen:
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • Stevo_666
    Agree and it will be a trivial pursuit but then, who in the PL can seriously be considered as a potential CL winner?
    The team that's already won it? Slightly more than potential... :mrgreen:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Might not be too bad a result against Brugge if it convinces LVG that he doesn't need anymore players this window :mrgreen:
    See my post in the other thread - who needs strikers when you have Rooney, Wilson and Fellaini? :)
  • pinno
    Looks like Chelsea has an easier group:

http://www.tablesleague.com/champions_league/

Some groups are wide open. No Milan, Inter Milan, FC Schalke. Valencia look like they got the easiest draw.
  • Stevo_666

Some groups are wide open. No Milan, Inter Milan, FC Schalke. Valencia look like they got the easiest draw.
    Sometimes you get what you deserve in life :). Apart from Manure and Sh1tty, their draws are wayyyy to easy.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023

The decline of AC Milan is quite incredible, I had a look at their starting line up for the first league game last weekend and only recognised one player, a far cry from when they had a world famous international in every position. They've even had to resort to taking Balotelli back on loan.
  • pinno
    The Italian Govt. are taxing football to death. 50% tax on transfer fees, 50% tax on bonuses paid to players plus high income tax rates. It is sad that this is happening. However, if all of European football was taxed to these levels, it would be a good thing.
  • Stevo_666
    The Italian Govt. are taxing football to death. 50% tax on transfer fees, 50% tax on bonuses paid to players plus high income tax rates. It is sad that this is happening. However, if all of European football was taxed to these levels, it would be a good thing.
    Agree with all apart from the last sentence...why tax the whole of European football to death?
  • pinno
    Agree with all apart from the last sentence...why tax the whole of European football to death?

You either tax it big time and it will level out or you don't. The Italians can't be in isolation.
    For example, if Barcelona sell player A to Roma, Roma pay £15m. Barcelona pay x in taxes on their profits.
    If Roma sell player A to Barca, Roma gets hit for £7.5 million. Roma's transfer revenue is down. They can't go out and spend £15m on a player or two so they are disadvantaged, they can only spend £7.5m.

If both Barca and Roma were subject to the same taxation and all other European clubs for that matter, the transfer market would stay the same but transfer fees would be indirectly capped.
  • Stevo_666
    Don't then.

Aside from the fact that the idea violates sovereign taxing rights, it will drain money out of the game. Prices will most likely go up to compensate or it will stifle transfer activity. We don't want either of those and besides, Wenger manages the second one quite well on his own :wink:
  • Stevo_666
    Back to the City we know and love :wink:
  • city_boy
    Back to the City we know and love :wink:

Haha, I knew that would bring you out from under your rock :wink:

Not sure what to make of that game really. Juventus came with a very Chelsea-esque game plan to park the bus, but City still managed to carve out 4 or 5 really good chances but the finishing was a bit sh1t (well a lot sh1t actually :( ). We were pretty comfortable for most of the game and got a bit of luck with the goal, which could easily have been disallowed tbf.

Then without really doing anything all game, two bits of genius mixed with a bit of luck and Juve get a couple of goals.

Don't think we deserved to lose, but you might be right mate....could be 'typical City'!
    Early days though (as with the PL), so I'll reserve judgement for now.
  • pinno
    Mnaoyo, or whatever we call then were shyte too. Yippee.
  • Stevo_666
    Smashed it. Sets us up nicely for Saturday, hopefully.
  • Arsenal looking to concentrate on the league a bit earlier this season.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Arsenal looking to concentrate on the league a bit earlier this season.

Conceding 3 at home against the Bubbles! W.T.F I m that gutted I cant even find any joy in Porto beating Chelski.
  • pinno
    It's a crazy season which just got crazier. Maybe I should take a punt on Arsenal actually qualifying for the KO stages, must be good odds.
  • Stevo_666
    Arsenal looking to concentrate on the league a bit earlier this season.

Conceding 3 at home against the Bubbles! W.T.F I m that gutted I cant even find any joy in Porto beating Chelski.
    We're nearly as sh1t as you are, Tim.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    so that is 3 champ spots next season at this rate :(
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Stevo_666
    so that is 3 champ spots next season at this rate :(
    Do you think we'll lose a Europa League spot as well? :wink:
  • city_boy
    For me, there is one position that you don't rotate and that is goalkeeper. It very rarely ends well!
    Pellegrini has done it a number of times and Wenger did it tonight.

It's hard to say whether Arsenal's result would've been different if Cech had played, but my guess is, it would.
  • pinno
    For me, there is one position that you don't rotate and that is goalkeeper. It very rarely ends well!

It's hard to say whether Arsenal's result would've been different if Cech had played, but my guess is, it would.

You have a point there.
  • For me, there is one position that you don't rotate and that is goalkeeper. It very rarely ends well!

You have a point there.

I heard Wenger in his post match interview on the radio this morning and he defended the decision saying 'Cech could have made a mistake too.' Doubt Cech would be pleased to hear his manager say that! Strange remark.

I think that has always been a difference between Ferguson and Wenger, he never rested players in games like that, not until the required result was secured.

With all the English clubs struggling in Europe that fourth CL spot could disappear and go to Italy.
  • city_boy
    Phew!!
  • pinno
    Bottom Bracket domination.
  • pinno
    Now that was an unexpected result. :D