2015 Gear

Comments

• Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Yes, you're right, a perfect commuting pedal, not for a race spec Storck!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Yes, you're right, a perfect commuting pedal, not for a race spec Storck!

You're telling a guy who has won the TDF what he can or can't put on his bike???? :roll:
  • Paul 8v
    Yeah, I sent him an email earlier today saying he would be stripped of his title if he didn't put LOOK pedals on it. People have to learn.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Yeah, I sent him an email earlier today saying he would be stripped of his title if he didn't put LOOK pedals on it. People have to learn.

:lol::lol::lol:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Sure, but without a front mech? Isn't that just asking for the chain to come off?

Get with the times GS! ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    I guess CX is a bit smoother than XCO - most riders using a 1x11 drivetrain seem to have at least a top-guide just in case.

Like this rather nice carbon fibre number that Absalon used while winning the World Champs this year (electronic XTR and prototype front ring and all) :
    7e786e4b3d4fd637f1edce30eb885b5d140999276387.jpg
    ce23bd61390bd0d2af85a7ed52cb57fe140999301264.jpg

Edit: electronic (manual not automatic) lockout on the rear shock if anyone was wondering, btw.
  • ddraver
    Shimano needs a guide, SRAMs 1x?? drive trains do not require one

RaceFace and a number of others do the same basic thing too
    - @ddraver
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    ddraver wrote:

RaceFace and a number of others do the same basic thing too

One is a CX bike, the other a MTB. Not sure if there's any significance there, but perhaps something to do with the amount of mud that a CX bike picks up and how much of that mud gets stuck in the chain guide?
  • Paul 8v
    edited October 2014
    CX bikes are pretty good mud collectors to be fair!
    20141017_124438.jpg
  • dennisn
    ddraver wrote:

I'm gonna guess that simply because Shimano uses one and Sram doesn't, proves nothing either way.
  • Pokerface
    The chain guide isn't always used. Again, Shimano - but on a CX bike: shimano-9000-xtr-sea-otter-cxmagazine-img_1356-e_1.jpg
  • ddraver wrote:
    Sure, but without a front mech? Isn't that just asking for the chain to come off?

Get with the times GS! ;)

Are you suggesting my mountain bike, an Orange P7 (running 7 speed groupset with thumbies mounted upside down on the bars..) isn't cutting edge anymore?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Bolle-6th-Sense-3-600x400.jpg
    Bolle-6th-Sense-2-600x400.jpg
    $160-200
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Air 9.8 TT bike honoring the Petronas F1 Mercedes Team
    Boardman-Mercedes-AMG-F1-Air-9.8-3-600x400.jpg
    Boardman-Mercedes-AMG-F1-Air-9.8-9-600x400.jpg
    Boardman-Mercedes-AMG-F1-Air-9.8-4-600x400.jpg
    Boardman-Mercedes-AMG-F1-Air-9.8-5-600x400.jpg
    Boardman-Mercedes-AMG-F1-Air-9.8-8-600x400.jpg
    Boardman-Mercedes-AMG-F1-Air-9.8-10-600x400.jpg
    Boardman-Mercedes-AMG-F1-Air-9.8-7-600x400.jpg
    Boardman-Mercedes-AMG-F1-Air-9.8-6-600x400.jpg
    Boardman-Mercedes-AMG-F1-Air-9.8-2-600x400.jpg
    Boardman-Mercedes-AMG-F1-Air-9.8-1-600x400.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Patchnride is a new tool for repairing flats very quickly and easily. See here:
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/patc ... ire-repair
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Patchnride is a new tool for repairing flats very quickly and easily. See here:

what happens if you don't know where the hole is?
  • frenchfighter
    You try and find it like you would normally, or in this case they actually have something you rub on the tyre and it will bubble up where the hole is.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Similar products are already available. For example I've had a can of this stuff that I've been waiting to try out, just haven't had any punctures for a while. If it works as well as it claims then it scores over the patchnride because a) you don't need to find the leak first and b) it partially inflates the tyre for you, leaving less pumping to do afterwards. On the other hand it's single use and £8 for a can, so not something you want to be using regularly!
  • adr82 wrote:
    Similar products are already available. For example I've had a can of this stuff that I've been waiting to try out, just haven't had any punctures for a while. If it works as well as it claims then it scores over the patchnride because a) you don't need to find the leak first and b) it partially inflates the tyre for you, leaving less pumping to do afterwards. On the other hand it's single use and £8 for a can, so not something you want to be using regularly!

I got one of them in one of these which decathlon were selling off for 4.99 - included inner tube and levers as well - good in the bottle cage - I'm keeping the inflator until I get a puncture in the worst conditions - you know the Sunday club ride return journey it's hailing and you are beginning to bonk :x
    TS25.jpg
  • frenchfighter
    adr82 wrote:

Fair enough although I have heard foam filled tyres feel quite different and render the tube and tyre useless after.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dennisn
    adr82 wrote:

Fair enough although I have heard foam filled tyres feel quite different and render the tube and tyre useless after.

Well, at least people are out there thinking and trying stuff. Someday, maybe, the IDEAL stuff will appear.
  • ddraver
    dennisn wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

I'm gonna guess that simply because Shimano uses one and Sram doesn't, proves nothing either way.

That's batsh1t even you you dennis

One manufacturer makes a system that DOESNT require one, the other does
    not (yet). It's not a question of proof.

Absalon, although a legend, is not famed for picking up on new tech quickly either which might have something to do with the chain guide in that pic, but at the moment Shim do not do a 1x?? set up (2015 XTR does)
    - @ddraver
  • Pokerface
    adr82 wrote:

I use the Vittoria PitStop foam in all my tubes and tubulars. I actually put it in whenever I glue on a new tub or put a new tube on my clincher tyres. I carry a can of it with my spare tub if I'm training on tubs also.

Why put it in before? Because the foam stays in the tub/tube for several months and can actually seal a slow leak as soon as it happens. Preventative medicine.

And no, it does not destroy the tyre should the inner tube pop beyond what the foam can seal.
  • Paul 8v
    Boardman-Mercedes-AMG-F1-Air-9.8-9-600x400.jpg
    Boardman-Mercedes-AMG-F1-Air-9.8-4-600x400.jpg
    Boardman-Mercedes-AMG-F1-Air-9.8-5-600x400.jpg
    Boardman-Mercedes-AMG-F1-Air-9.8-8-600x400.jpg
    Boardman-Mercedes-AMG-F1-Air-9.8-10-600x400.jpg
    Boardman-Mercedes-AMG-F1-Air-9.8-7-600x400.jpg
    Boardman-Mercedes-AMG-F1-Air-9.8-6-600x400.jpg
    Boardman-Mercedes-AMG-F1-Air-9.8-2-600x400.jpg
    Boardman-Mercedes-AMG-F1-Air-9.8-1-600x400.jpg
    Nice airbrushing on that, my mate Neil at prosign does some work for Mercedes GP, I will find out if he had anything to do with this, I know he likes his bikes as well as cars
  • dennisn
    ddraver wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

That's batsh1t even you you dennis

One manufacturer makes a system that DOESNT require one, the other does
    not (yet). It's not a question of proof.

Me thinks you took that wrong. Or I took what you said wrong. I thought you were saying Shimano was somehow flawed in that they used one. So, maybe I am batsh1t crazy. :? :oops:
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    Minor correction - that's the AiR 9.8 road bike not the TT bike.
  • nic_77
    Pokerface wrote:
    I use the Vittoria PitStop foam in all my tubes and tubulars. I actually put it in whenever I glue on a new tub or put a new tube on my clincher tyres. I carry a can of it with my spare tub if I'm training on tubs also.

Why put it in before? Because the foam stays in the tub/tube for several months and can actually seal a slow leak as soon as it happens. Preventative medicine.
    Pokerface, question for you... why fit a fast tub and then slow it down (increased rolling resistance and weight) by filling it with foam? The stuff (I actually use Hutchinson Fast Air) is so quick and easy to use when you need it; what am I missing?
  • Pokerface
    nic_77 wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Pokerface, question for you... why fit a fast tub and then slow it down (increased rolling resistance and weight) by filling it with foam? The stuff (I actually use Hutchinson Fast Air) is so quick and easy to use when you need it; what am I missing?

Who says it slows it down? It's foam, not cement.

I've yet to read anything anywhere that indicates foam (it's basically latex), changes the Crr of the tyre. In fact, I've read that it has virtually no effect on it whatsoever.
  • nic_77
    edited October 2014
    It's denser than air though, right?