2015 Gear

Comments

• inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Nice pictures FF. I do like that Repete track iron.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador is the Greatest
  • That's a beaut.

Will go nice with a Sky jersey .
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    4.5kg too.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    B0-A_ogCYAEWKvf.jpg:large

Americans. Never knowingly understated

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... o-9-42822/
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    That would actually look a lot better with normal coloured hoods and less busy wheels. The stars on the bar tape are a nice touch but as it is, it looks like a dogs dinner
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    tumblr_ne07y2JJIP1rqprdzo1_1280.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    B0-A_ogCYAEWKvf.jpg:large

Americans. Never knowingly understated

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... o-9-42822/

AMMMEEEERRRRRRRIICCCCCCCCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA FK YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Paul 8v wrote:
    tumblr_ne07y2JJIP1rqprdzo1_1280.jpg
    Nice

Matching stem fail
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373

4.5kg! Damn impressive for a production bike, looks good too.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    FocusZing wrote:

As with the Rose on the previous page, the low weight can be attributed to the AX Lightness components. The frame won't be especially light.

You could probably get a steel frame and forks down to <6kg if you kitted it out with AX.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

As with the Rose on the previous page, the low weight can be attributed to the AX Lightness components. The frame won't be especially light.

You could probably get a steel frame and forks down to <6kg if you kitted it out with AX.

I always find this a strange point of view. The frame will be half the weight of a steel frame so lighter than the AX parts are compared to more prosaic parts. People often say you can build a light steel bike, which of course you can, but it'll cost you a bomb compared to carbon.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    inseine wrote:
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

People often say you can build a light steel bike, which of course you can, but it'll cost you a bomb compared to carbon.

True enough, but if you can afford AX stuff I don't see money as being an issue.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    inseine wrote:
    EKIMIKE wrote:

I always find this a strange point of view. The frame will be half the weight of a steel frame so lighter than the AX parts are compared to more prosaic parts. People often say you can build a light steel bike, which of course you can, but it'll cost you a bomb compared to carbon.

I agree - it's a crummy idea. It was just an illustrative example.
  • FocusZing
    edited October 2014
    2N4A7886.jpg

"THM Carbones Scapula Fork weighs 235g and by some is considered to be the gold standard in fork designs and production. What makes THM forks so good is that there isn’t a wasted layer of carbon. Many carbon parts are built with excess carbon layers used as a buffer to make certain that there are no single points of failure or weaknesses. They do this instead of doing NDT (non-destructive testing) using ultrasound or x-ray which can get expensive and time consuming. THM eliminate excess material without compromising its lateral rigidity and safety by doing NTD on every single one of their forks."

Makes sense, extra cost for carefull minimal carbon construction.
  • FocusZing
    2N4A7846.jpg

"AX-Lightness Premium 24 wheelset weighing approximately 970g per set."
  • dennisn
    FocusZing wrote:
    2N4A7886.jpg

"THM Carbones Scapula Fork weighs 235g and by some is considered to be the gold standard in fork designs and production. What makes THM forks so good is that there isn’t a wasted layer of carbon. Many carbon parts are built with excess carbon layers used as a buffer to make certain that there are no single points of failure or weaknesses. They do this instead of doing NDT (non-destructive testing) using ultrasound or x-ray which can get expensive and time consuming. THM eliminate excess material without compromising its lateral rigidity and safety by doing NTD on every single one of their forks."

Makes sense extra cost for minimal carbon used.

Still, there is a little something sort of reassuring about frames, forks, components, etc., that have a bit of "heft" and sturdiness about them. Sort of like if you need a cane to walk, a sturdy feeling one instills a bit more confidence than a pencil thin one or one that's super light. Just my opinion.
  • FocusZing
    dennisn wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    2N4A7886.jpg

Makes sense extra cost for minimal carbon used.

Still, there is a little something sort of reassuring about frames, forks, components, etc., that have a bit of "heft" and sturdiness about them. Sort of like if you need a cane to walk, a sturdy feeling one instills a bit more confidence than a pencil thin one or one that's super light. Just my opinion.

Yes I know what you mean Denis. I like seeing the evolution though, limits of the technology and materials pushed. The UCI weight limit is a good rule.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    FocusZing wrote:
    2N4A7846.jpg

Sweet-arse Tune hubs too. Had a set laced into Zipp rims several years ago. Superb.
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    FocusZing wrote:
    2N4A7846.jpg

They could cut down the skewer and shave off the lawyer lugs to save at least a gram.
  • Ber Nard wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    2N4A7846.jpg

They could cut down the skewer and shave off the lawyer lugs to save at least a gram.

and all that heavy white paint everywhere
  • dennisn
    Ber Nard wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    2N4A7846.jpg

and all that heavy white paint everywhere

And how much weight could you save if all you needed was a single lever that worked on both skewers?
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Surprised they are using 'heavy' Red brakes.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • RB1000-camouflage-green-bici-da-corsa.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Love that bike, first bike I've seen that the new crank looks good on. Hope they release the camo clothes MCips been riding that in.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • tumblr_neb6arw9mp1r4o0yso1_1280.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I believe they have released the clothing. That Cipolini is the dogs. One of them is certainly on the wish list, they're meant to be stiff as hell. I wouldn't want to ride it that far but for short sprints it looks perfect
  • FocusZing
    1414628881948-1tea1ss3tq71i-1400-80.jpg