Tour de France stage 2 York-Sheffield *Spoiler*

Comments

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    k-dog wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    paddington-bear-sandwich.jpg

Shame he never fulfilled his potential. His natural Peruvian mountain genetics gave him a huge advantage, and with his small frame he should have been able to dance up the climbs, but he just couldn't lay off the marmalade. Shocking lack of tactical awareness as well, always getting lost and making bad decisions.

Got his suitcase of courage with him too.

Surprised he's so open about his Marmite abuse. Hope he's got a TUE for it.

Óscar Freire used to remind me of Paddington Bear.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • scwxx77
    scwxx77 Posts: 1,469
    hammerite wrote:
    A couple of years ago when Harmon was commentating wasn't it "Carlton in the studio"?
    Yes, and before that it was Mike Smith "back in Paris". Quite liked Mike Smith.
    Winner: PTP Vuelta 2007 :wink:
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Road narrowing, crash time
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    one point ?? !!

I know it's harsh when speed bumps get a point in the opening stages in France
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,397
    This "people in the road" thing. Is it just me, or is this being discussed as if it's some sort of inherently British problem, because we're such noobs at watching bike races?

It strikes me that pretty much every single race where there are crowds we see the same thing, from Belgium to Holland, to France, Italy and Spain. We just have an awful lots of fans out.

PS - poor Gerrans, again.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Crash due to too many people in the road, made it too narrow as the riders went through.
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    Did anyone hear Phil say "Simon Gerrans must be thinking this is not his f**king tour" :?:
  • hammerite
    scwxx77 wrote:
    hammerite wrote:
    A couple of years ago when Harmon was commentating wasn't it "Carlton in the studio"?

They need a higher class of commentator, there was a time when Duffers knew absolutely everything about an area. Especially the cuisine. Today he'd be talking about tripe.
  • above_the_cows
    Some people getting in the road last year...

From @letour

Br2Z7lQCEAEdjLP_zps0e098c61.jpg

Br2aGn0CIAAINAX_zpsa01cbac3.jpg
  • hammerite wrote:
    scwxx77 wrote:
    hammerite wrote:

. Today he'd be talking tripe.
  • hammerite
    Time to turn the internet off. Got too much work to do to watch the race and type about it at the same time.
  • hammerite
    hammerite wrote:
    scwxx77 wrote:
    hammerite wrote:

. Today he'd be talking tripe.

I did think that after I posted it!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,169
    This "people in the road" thing. Is it just me, or is this being discussed as if it's some sort of inherently British problem, because we're such noobs at watching bike races?

It strikes me that pretty much every single race where there are crowds we see the same thing, from Belgium to Holland, to France, Italy and Spain. We just have an awful lots of fans out.

PS - poor Gerrans, again.
    I think they are just broadcasting the message to a British audience more this year.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • hammerite wrote:
    Time to turn the internet off. Got too much work to do to watch the race and type about it at the same time.

HOW can you have work to do today...p $$ poor planning etc :D:D
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Wish they'd stop saying that we're short an English rider today. British yes, but I don't think Cav would like being called English.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • above_the_cows
    hammerite wrote:

HOW can you have work to do today...p $$ poor planning etc :D:D

I have work to do too. I'm supposed to be having a work related call at 6pm to discuss a thesis grade. I had planed well but it seems my colleagues don't care about the Tour and are off to Latin America tomorrow.
  • difficult to think in this bubble the whole world has not paused !
  • above_the_cows
    Carlton: "Imagine if they'd got to the TT on the penultimate day and there was only 25 seconds between them."

That was never going to happen was it now Carlton? Be realistic. Wiggo would never have been only 25 seconds down or up on Froome.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Saxo's "Rocketeer" has been launched to quench the team's thirst
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    More minor crashes, they haven't even got to the trickier parts yet...
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    We're 75km away from anything actually happening. And even then I think I'm being optimistic.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • jamie1012
    jamie1012 Posts: 171
    It has been said many times already but the crowds are extrordinary.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,890
    type:epyt wrote:
    We're 75km away from anything actually happening. And even then I think I'm being optimistic.
    Things are happening all the time. Nobody is going to race this course for 140kms.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 482
    "maybe the winner of the next intermediate sprint will buy some extra sandwiches on the trips across to belgium"

booming eck!
  • paulcuthbert
    Anyone see the Giant Shimano rider hit a spectator there? Ooft, gotta hurt...
  • Coquard's come to race = fair play
  • Give me more
    Give me more Posts: 487
    Coquard's come to race = fair play

yep. impressed so far.

That spectator's going to be super sore, that's what you get stepping in too far before a sprint section though...just glad none of the riders went down as a result
  • Downward
    Downward Posts: 179
    Yep rewound and watched the hit a few time now.
  • paulcuthbert
    That spectator's going to be super sore, that's what you get stepping in too far before a sprint section though...just glad none of the riders went down as a result

Surprised they didn't have barriers the full length of the sprint. Serves them right for being stupid though!
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    The ITV pre-and post coverage is great, David Millar in particular. Although i didn't think he was that tall.. and his hat today is awful... must have lost a bet.

Is it me, or is ITV's coverage becoming a little bit more confident about its audience? I've not watched a huge amount, but got the impression that there's less worrying about having to explain words like 'peloton' or how the jerseys work. Adding Millar to the mix also seems to have introduced a slightly smarter level of analysis - I particularly appreciated his observation that Froome's high finish may have been planned as it would move their car up the field for today.

Yeah I agree 100%... The extra level of analysis reminds me a lot of Gary Neville on Sky Sports covering football.