Tour de France stage 2 York-Sheffield *Spoiler*

1141516171820»

Comments

• FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Pross wrote:
    The race was well split up by then with the grouper to over 10 minutes back so plenty to see and then about 15 minutes after they went past with tens of thousands walking on the road a Lampre rider went through hanging onto a car!
    Seems they did the same all over, give the all clear for people to invade the road before the broomwagen had passed. Only negative on the day for me.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    FJS wrote:
    Seems they did the same all over, give the all clear for people to invade the road before the broomwagen had passed. Only negative on the day for me.

I too saw people start walking on the road after Kittel had gone through thinking that really was the end and of course it wasn't and to give the steward near me some credibility he was shouting at everybody that the race was still live and to get off the road

Regarding Oughtibrdge as a viewing point; it was just a punt. I don't know Sheffield from my elbow. The original plan was Bradfield but it was utter madness by 11:00 so we walked to Oughtibridge and had a great day
  • tubaonwheels
    tubaonwheels Posts: 448
    I was also at Oughtibridge just before the 20km banner, brilliant spot to watch, had a great day. Did not miss the riders by stupidly taking pictures though! As I forgot to charge camera battery after yesterday and it died just as riders appeared :oops:
    We also saw the silly people knock the wall down...... but fortunately I had some business cards with me (drystone waller) may get a days work out of it :D
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    OGE video for the stage - plenty of onboard shots from ~3 min onwards.
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    FJS wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    The race was well split up by then with the grouper to over 10 minutes back so plenty to see and then about 15 minutes after they went past with tens of thousands walking on the road a Lampre rider went through hanging onto a car!

We camped at Langsett and walked up to Woodhead and had a great view down and up the road. There were hundreds around us rather than thousands and many had cycled there so weren't ignorant, I assume, of cycle racing matters. However after the yellow jersey group we all stayed in place until around 8-10 British motor cycle cops came past waving and generally milking it. That was the cue for everybody to jump down into the road and disperse despite some of us asking where the broomwagen had got to. Poor Lampre guys had to cycle through what must have seemed like a market day crowd. No doubt the same motorcycling cops effectively set up a rolling wave of road encroachments! :(

To be fair to the constabulary a foot soldier eventually appeared (too late) yelling that the race was still on but he was ignored by everyone whether they were on two wheels or two feet.
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    We were just down the hill from you near the Flouch roundabout. You're spot on with that assessment & it was the only downer on the day.
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    3/4s the way up Cragg Vale there was a muppet on a corner by me, standing in the middle of the road with ipad in front of his face for every single part of the caravan and race, making everyone dodge round him. I really, really want to see that ipad knocked out of his stupid inconsiderate hands and smashed to a million pieces. Of course, most people were sensible, but there's always one..
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    We had a cluster of vehicles go past that included I van I assumed was the broom wagon. I think the rider must have been Modolo who abandoned today and I'm surprised he didn't just climb off and get in a car as he was obviously struggling badly.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, I saw him go by was unexpected!

The walk back in Grenoside after was amazing, so many people, fantastic atmosphere. Pubs a bit busy though lol.
  • FJS
    supersonic wrote:
    Does anyone know where I can view a full stage replay?
    I'd be interested too
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    FJS wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    I'd be interested too

http://cyclingtorrents.nl/details.php?id=14573
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Some wheelie action on Jenkin Road (Trentin and Degenkolb apparently)
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    FJS wrote:
    Pross wrote:

There was another Lampre rider after that, we had just cycled up Ewden bank towards Bradfield when another convoy came through, he came up the climb behind us then unfortunately abandoned and got in the car just a bit further on.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    NorvernRob wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    Pross wrote:

There was another Lampre rider after that, we had just cycled up Ewden bank towards Bradfield when another convoy came through, he came up the climb behind us then unfortunately abandoned and got in the car just a bit further on.

That must have been Modolo then so the guy I saw must have been the one who is leading the lanterne rouge. I think he got towed the whole length of Jawbone Hill, may have missed the cut off otherwise. Why are Lampre so bad?

One Trek rider got pushed by a relay of supporters up Jawbone, I think they thought he was last man but he was in front of the grupetto.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    adr82 wrote:
    Some wheelie action on Jenkin Road (Trentin and Degenkolb apparently)

That's awesome. Made the IAM rider chuckle too.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • I was near the top of Jawbone and I did notice quite a few start to disperse thinking that was it even before the Kittle group arrived.

Also did anyone see the woman not looking what she was doing, stepped out into the road and almost get taken out by one of the race organiser cars, she was very very lucky.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    sxna1e.jpg
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador is the Greatest
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    TMR wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    I'd be interested too

Many thanks. They are also starting to appear on you tube now.
  • FJS
    TMR wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    I'd be interested too

merci bien :)