Tour de France stage 1 Leeds-Harrogate *Spoiler*

Comments

• dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    TMR wrote:
    dougzz wrote:
    Looked naughty by Cav, seems to get overly aggressive when he can see it slipping away
    That's not fair. Looking at the overhead it is clear that Gerrans was trying to squeeze Mark out. With Kittel on his right he had no where to go.
    From the 1st time I saw the reply it looked to me like Cav seemed more intent on engaging Gerrans than moving forward. Just my call.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Andrew Talansky lost four minutes - what happened there?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    sportvan wrote:
    Third year running cavendish crashes in the early stages. Unfortunately cavendish was at fault this time and has now paid the price and now out the tour.

it looked to me like Gerrans was squeezing him into Kittel and Cav was trying to make some room. On another day they would have had a bit of jostling and nothing would have happened and people would have said 'thats just normal sprinting' (like when Mezgec won that stage in the recent race..Giro? Dauphine?) however they locked bars and fell down this time. six of one, etc.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Sky leading the team comp.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    Actually does look like Cavendish caused that?
    Mañana
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Errm..did Cav just bring his head and left shoulder into the armpit of another rider?

A wee bit dangerous, non?
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Cancellara is immense. No one in the World can do that. He is going to murder the cobbles.

Millar keeps cutting up the other two.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    How tall is David millar?!
    Mañana
  • frenchfighter
    RichN95 wrote:
    Andrew Talansky lost four minutes - what happened there?

Lol pls someone pass that on to itv4 via tweet so they can tell Millar!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Looked to me that Cavendish leant on Gerrans to create a gap.
    They were only maybe 100 m from the line, and he desperately needed to start his explosive sprint if he were to have a chance of winning, as he was getting locked in and overtaken.
    He just chose the wrong moment to lean on Gerrans, because Gerrans was already slightly unbalanced because he and Coquard had just brushed shoulders.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    TV aren't helping matters by only showing the crash, not how they got into that position. Personally, I'm happy with the idea that sprints are a contact sport - these things happen. Cav was shoving one way, Gerrans moves his elbow to lever him backwards and everything explodes. It's racing.
  • frenchfighter
    kate getting a good look at those beastly legs.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    pb21 wrote:
    I was just saying that as well. I think he's standing and Gary and Chris are sitting on stools
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Well no crashes today apart from the last one and the lead in was as wide as you like. Absolutely no problems with the roads.

No crashes but riders having to put their feet down on the hills ain't great.

No problem with the final, I meant earlier in the stage.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    edited July 2014
    iainf72 wrote:
    Good final. Pity about the crash - Dunno what Cavendish thought he was doing there.

I'll risk some wrath - Some of the roads are too narrow for the Tour.

Wait until tomorrow's stage - some of the roads are narrower than those. I had a ride up to the Strines road today, there was a sportive on coming from Home Moss and in less than a minute I saw two guys fall off. There's a steep descent, then a tight bend which goes straight into a 20% climb. They fell off at the start of the climb, seemingly not expecting it and getting the gears wrong. I know they're pros but if anything goes wrong tomorrow a dozen riders at least are coming off.

They're basically going to be 2/3 abreast on those roads, there's no room for anything else.
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    Did Kittel just pat Kate on the bum?
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    At the back of my mind I was thinking Cancellara might have a go on that ramp today. Awesome rider.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    pb21 wrote:

6'4" according to twitter. I didn't know that - I knew he was on the tall side for a cyclist but wouldn't have said much over 6'. Boardman and Imlach aren't giants so he looks huge!
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    When I said Froome has got a great sprint out of the GC riders I was laughed at. Well there you go.

With that place he puts his team car well up the field which could prove useful tomorrow with the nature of the roads.

David Millar saying almost certainly collarbone. All Cav's fault. Idiot.
    That's enough FF. I agree too much with you. I hate this forum :twisted:
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    TMR wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    I must have watched a diff race to you. Cav came over and leaned on Gerrans causing the crash..... Kittel. Showing he is the boss

They were leaning into each other. Try opening your eyes.

Ok I will put my new Oakley tunnel vision glasses endorsed by cav
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Just a random thought. Many people prob watched mountain stages and think crowding the road normal. But these hills not mountains and groups still too big for that kind of crowding. Really need to try and leave road clear.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,538
    I only got to see the run in to the crash once, but Gerrans swung into him once, then swung away, then drifted back over into him again. Cav puts his head into him and they lock bars and go down.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Totally Cav's fault he's boxed in behind Sagan with Gerrans to his left and starts the butting at 255 metres - Gerrans not squeezing him in at all.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    This is where we need Harry Hill to help us. Cav's fault? Gerrans fault? Only one way to solve this - FI-

Oh...
  • southdownswolf
    The organisers, including the French team, knew what it was going to be like on the hills. If they had any fears then they should have put barriers up.
  • typekitty
    typekitty Posts: 188
    The organisers, including the French team, knew what it was going to be like on the hills. If they had any fears then they should have put barriers up.

Wonder how today's stage will impact tomorrows, if it will. I know the TourMakers get briefed the morning of the stage, so they might be more hardass tomorrow with keeping the crows back (along with the support of 'safety stewards' who are effectively security guards). Barely saw any along the route, except for the flag marshals.
  • sbbefc
    sbbefc Posts: 189
    Happens in the one day classics, dont see a problem with it myself.
  • frenchfighter
    Its all cracking off in arg v bel if you are interested.

Boardman has got to be pissed with Millar answering every question.

Need Millar to find out about Talansky.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • southdownswolf
    typekitty wrote:
    I know the TourMakers get briefed the morning of the stage, so they might be more hardass tomorrow with keeping the crows back

Perhaps they should get the shotguns out... :-D
  • Looked like a racing accident to me.

Cav was on Sagan's wheel with Kittel on his right and Gerrans on his left. When Sagan jumped they all went for his wheel that Cav was already on with Kittel & Gerrans squeezing Cav. Cav linked with Gerrans and once in that situation they were likely to crash