Tour de France stage 1 Leeds-Harrogate *Spoiler*

Comments

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Obviously some people thought there was too much road crowdage today...

Le Tour de France ‏@letour 2m

MESSAGE DE SECURITE : SVP restez sur le bord de la route pendant la course / SECURITY MESSAGE: please stay beside the road during the race.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • brookter
    brookter Posts: 51
    Have a look at this video http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x20w6yh_en-summary-stage-1-leeds-harrogate_sport?start=105 from about 1.40 to 1.50.

Look at the position of the white line down the middle of the road. At the beginning Gerrans is 2 or 3 feet to the left of it (from his perspective), Cavendish is on the line or slightly to the left of it.

A couple of seconds later Gerrans is only a couple of inches left of the line and Cavendish is on the other side of the line. Cavendish only starts to dip towards him at that point.

From that perspective, it looks more likely that Garrens has made the initial move across Cavendish's line, rather than the other way round.
  • Need a slow-mo to see it better.

It looked to me like Cav was on Sagan's wheel, and Gerrans tried to move over onto it. Now I appreciate that Gerrans was ahead of Cav, but trying to force yourself over someone onto a wheel further from you looks dangerous. Cav used his head to defend himself, but seems like he couldn't right himself properly.
  • antsmithmk
    antsmithmk Posts: 717
    Renshaw talking on twitter about trying to get Cav the stage into London....
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    antsmithmk wrote:
    Renshaw talking on twitter about trying to get Cav the stage into London....

His arm is in a sling it seems. They'll decide on whether he starts tomorrow
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • above_the_cows
    Mark Renshaw ‏@Mark_Renshaw 11m

Short note for people watching the race. Please stand back off the road. I really don't want to hit you (or your child) at 65kmh. Thank you!

Mark Renshaw ‏@Mark_Renshaw 15m

Never in my life have I seen crowds like that, an unforgettable day! I hope we can bounce back with a win for Cav into London.
  • iainf72
    Official Word : His shoulder is separated
  • iainf72 wrote:

From where? Omega Pharma QuickStep twitter says no news yet.
  • Give me more
    Give me more Posts: 487
    edited July 2014
    brookter wrote:
    From that perspective, it looks more likely that Garrens has made the initial move across Cavendish's line, rather than the other way round.

The clip starts a little late to see all of the shunting going on. e.g. shortly before it Gerran's is on Sagan's wheel, but is then shunted out wide by Cav fighting for the wheel, and he then drifts back in close as the video shows.

IQ3v1ee.jpg

To me the problem was that while everyone else is trying to corner that Cav is still leaning on Gerrans; you can see he drifts so far out wide that he actually loses Sagan's wheel and lets Kittel slot in in place of him. Everyone else is trying to take a line into the corner while Cav is holding out wide which causes space issues with the people outside of him.

I'm not a sprinting connoisseur in the slightest though so my interpretation is liable to be massive bollocks.

e: this forum really censors b*llocks?

---

Sep knows what he thinks though (you can see his helmet tucked in behind Kittel in that pic too)

Sep Vanmarcke ‏@sepvanmarcke
    This could have been my best sprint ever. Was in Kittel's wheel last km, but because of that crazy move of Cav I couldn't sprint! #TourdeSep
  • above_the_cows
    I've got Cycling news telling me this via...

Sadhbh O'Shea ‏@SadhbhOS 3m

Mark Cavendish suffers a saparated shoulder after his crash today. #TDF

She can't spell separated, don't know whether to trust her.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 wrote:

The Tour medical bulletin.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    If Cav doesn't start tomorrow, OPQS might be stung into riding the stage one-day style. They could start the splits early doors. Just saying.

What an awesome event. The mooted Yorkshire one-day race surely the first of many.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • above_the_cows
    No one has a scooby's...

Cyclingnews.com ‏@Cyclingnewsfeed 47s

Story to come on Cavendish: medical release from organisers say it's a broken collar bone.

Separated shoulder, broken collarbone...?
  • iainf72 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

The Tour medical bulletin.

Where can I find that? :)
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    I've got Cycling news telling me this via...

Sadhbh O'Shea ‏@SadhbhOS 3m

Mark Cavendish suffers a saparated shoulder after his crash today. #TDF

She can't spell separated, don't know whether to trust her.

LOL! :D
  • gsvbagpuss
    gsvbagpuss Posts: 272
    It's very noticeable to me that sprints are so much more congested now. Think back to Renshaw DQ and it's basically train against train two a breast. That was 5-6 a breast and so no wonder there are crashes.

Doesn't look for Cav from my POV; he seemed to instigate. Shoulder is gone I would bet, not starting tomorrow
  • above_the_cows
    http://www.letour.fr/le-tour/2014/fr/etape-1/actus/ali/a-l-infirmerie.html

Disjonction de la clavicule pour Cavendish

Le Service médical du Tour de France a précisé samedi après les examens subis par Mark Cavendish que le sprinteur britannique, accidenté dans le final de la première étape à Harrogate, souffrait d'une « disjonction acromio-claviculaire droite », l'équivalent d'une luxation.

Il ne s'agit cependant pas d'une fracture et le manager de l'équipe Omega Pharma Quick Step, Patrick Lefevere, a déclaré à l'arrivée : « S'il n'y a rien de cassé, Mark repartira. »

L'autre coureur le plus touché de cette première étape est le Français Mikael Chérel (ALM), victime d'une chute et qui souffre d'une contusion de la hanche droite et d'un traumatisme des deux pouces : « Un bilan radiologique est à faire », indique le communiqué médical
  • above_the_cows
    That's a break then.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Should be a cinch to sort out this crash business when we get the on-bike camera footage.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Fans in the road. Surprised the kid in front of my family survived the publicity caravan.
    Watched in Skipton where I was amazed at the size of the crowd. Amazing atmosphere but stopping people going back through the town centre after the race seemed truly bizarre. Had hoped to make an afternoon and spend some money but couldn't. Alternative route back into town totally jammed solid with bodies.
    Daughter loved it but was scared by the speed of the riders.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Quick post whilst I have service

Great day!! Saw it twice in Otley and in Harrogate at 500m to go. Was sure Canc had it won and confused a few punters with my commentary! Shame about Cav, it did take a bit if the shine off for the people around me. My dad's a GP and is stumped by "separated shoulder" can anyone provide a translation into medical speak?

Riding up
    The course to Otley past everyone was great fun!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ddraver wrote:
    My dad's a GP and is stumped by "separated shoulder" can anyone provide a translation into medical speak?
    According to Wikipedia: A separated shoulder (also known as acromioclavicular separation, AC joint separation, AC separation)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • typekitty
    typekitty Posts: 188
    So it's a dislocation?

Disjonction de la clavicule pour Cavendish

Le Service médical du Tour de France a précisé samedi après les examens subis par Mark Cavendish que le sprinteur britannique, accidenté dans le final de la première étape à Harrogate, souffrait d'une « disjonction acromio-claviculaire droite », l'équivalent d'une luxation.

Il ne s'agit cependant pas d'une fracture et le manager de l'équipe Omega Pharma Quick Step, Patrick Lefevere, a déclaré à l'arrivée : « S'il n'y a rien de cassé, Mark repartira. »

L'autre coureur le plus touché de cette première étape est le Français Mikael Chérel (ALM), victime d'une chute et qui souffre d'une contusion de la hanche droite et d'un traumatisme des deux pouces : « Un bilan radiologique est à faire », indique le communiqué médical.
  • iainf72
    Via Mr Friebe, aka Cavendish's scribe

Cav off for an MRI scan. No break but in a lot of pain. Says crash was his fault & will call Gerrans to apologise.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    iainf72 wrote:
    Via Mr Friebe, aka Cavendish's scribe

Cav off for an MRI scan. No break but in a lot of pain. Says crash was his fault & will call Gerrans to apologise.

Thanks. Glad I called it right. Surprised he admitted it but good on him for doing so.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited July 2014
    So that is one English neo pro, one Kenyan with a British licence and a Welshman left in the Tour. Shame we didnt have the Scot (although not really sure what nationality he has really).
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    ddraver wrote:
    My dad's a GP and is stumped by "separated shoulder" can anyone provide a translation into medical speak?

Apparently it's ligament damage of varying degrees. My mother had one recently and I didn't know what the hell she was on about. "Separated" was the term the casualty people used. You damage the ligaments in the shoulder that attach the bones together. It looks like this...

disjonction_1_rxpreop.jpg
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    That's a break then.
    A 'luxation' is a dislocation. It would also explain why Cavendish looked in so much pain - a pure break doesn't cause so much pain as a dislocation.
    If the collar bone was shoved/dislocated backwards, usually an operation is necessary to relocate it. If it was pushed forward, it is usually pushed back into place, at the same time the arm being moved forward to bring the shoulder forward.
    In the case of a layman, the whole affected area would then be held firm by bandaging so it can recover, and the layman told not to use/load the arm/shoulder for a while - no idea how a professional would be treated/told to behave.
  • above_the_cows
    knedlicky wrote:
    That's a break then.
    A 'luxation' is a dislocation. It would also explain why Cavendish looked in so much pain - a pure break doesn't cause so much pain as a dislocation.
    If the collar bone was shoved/dislocated backwards, usually an operation is necessary to relocate it. If it was pushed forward, it is usually pushed back into place, at the same time the arm being moved forward to bring the shoulder forward.
    In the case of a layman, the whole affected area would then be held firm by bandaging so it can recover, and the layman told not to use/load the arm/shoulder for a while - no idea how a professional would be treated/told to behave.

I meant to put a ? Had to go and check the exact meaning of disjonction.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    ddraver wrote:

Apparently it's ligament damage of varying degrees. My mother had one recently and I didn't know what the hell she was on about. "Separated" was the term the casualty people used. You damage the ligaments in the shoulder that attach the bones together. It looks like this...

disjonction_1_rxpreop.jpg

Looks nasty.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn