Tour de France stage 1 Leeds-Harrogate *Spoiler*

1181920212224»

Comments

• RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Macaloon wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    Bry2eBXCEAEec3V.jpg

Bit more than 4/10 for that crowd. It was an unforgettable event. Feel the joy :D
    (no joy in the pic, obv)

That picture is from Huddersfield, not bad for somewhere not on the route until tomorrow.

awesome.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    TMR wrote:
    People need to STFU dissing Cav, it's getting on my tits. He doesn't 'always use his head'. He's taken responsibility for something that I still don't accept was entirely his fault. Regardless, he's paid a massive price. Be content with the fact he's unlikely to start today haters.

Who elses fault was it then? If exactly the same thing happened but Cavendish was in Gerrans position, I expect you'd be campaigning to get whoever brought him down chucked out of the race.

I'm not a Cavendish fan but I don't think anyone wants him injured and out of the race. But fear not, the best sprinter in the world is still in the race, rocking yellow for the time being.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,549
    Oaft what a hangover!!!

Absolutely amazing day in Wharfdale and up "Cote du Cray" yesterday. Bumped into lots of people I knew but didn't realise we'd all be going to the same spot. The ride to and from the climb was the best "sportive" I could imagine. The atmosphere was unlike anything I have seen at a GT before. The banter was brilliant.

TBH the pre race banter and atmosphere was much much better and louder than when the peloton came past. I rode up to the summit with my 4yo daughter on the back seat. Everyone was cheering us on the climb... as they did for every kid or tandem or loon.

Waking up in Threshfield I thought they had gone for overkill with the barriers and stewards, but as we rode along the valley and saw the sheer volume of people I realised it was perfect.

Highlights of the day.

Every single kid who rode up that hill getting cheered.
    Dad with kid on cross bar seat doing wheelies up the climb to cheers
    Yellow Sheep
    Where's Your Wiggo Gone?
    Sumo Sumo Sumo
    Twister Twister Give us a Wave
    Mexican Waves
    The Hokey Cokey

But best of all... We Want Chip We Want Chips We Want chips chanted when the McCain float stalled on the climb.

Here's a youtube of our view from the embankment all the way down to the White Horse Pub. Starts with Jensie and the break and finishes with the cheeky club rider who was drafting the last police van all the way up. i hope he was doing the entire route.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxUjfwxf ... uFxQUjv_Fw

2014-07-05%2009.26.57.jpg

2014-07-05%2010.35.51.jpg

2014-07-05%2010.42.35.jpg

2014-07-05%2011.02.27-2.jpg

2014-07-05%2011.23.44.jpg

2014-07-05%2013.12.59.jpg

2014-07-05%2013.21.00-2.jpg

2014-07-05%2013.21.28.jpg

2014-07-05%2013.38.29.jpg

2014-07-05%2022.03.16.jpg

Finally a big thanks to those just before the summit who helped us when the big grey coach of tourmakers slowly squeezed us off the road and forced us onto the verge and almost into the ditch. Not happy!!!
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,001
    Great pics and vid Alan. Gives a very different feeling for the buzz, thanks for posting.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Cav Out

@inrng: Mark Cavendish won't start today's stage #TDF

@inrng: multiple [sources] team manager Lefevere talking to media
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    iTV find a way to blame the Europcar rider for the crash. Well done them.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Thanks for the photos and video Alan. Who was the Scottish person with the annoying football chants? I'm glad I wasn't stood next to him, he'd have done my head in!*

* - If that was you Alan, then :P
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Love this photo:
    SPTDW112.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • xtc_special
    xtc_special Posts: 130
    Love this photo:
    SPTDW112.jpg

So do I, have just saved it as my desk top image. :wink:
    2014 Ribble Gran Fondo
    2009 Rockhopper Comp
  • frenchfighter
    Lol:
    174100-RTR3X9MU.jpg

dut_zps49569b29.jpg

dut2_zps17c23a26.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • TMR
    Why don't they just hold hands? They are married after all.
  • TMR
    Love this photo:
    SPTDW112.jpg

Et moi aussi. Très bon.
  • frenchfighter
    20140705236_Galerie0507201405_zps4d6d9afd.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RideOnTime
    2rpeh3r.jpg
  • RideOnTime
    5lt82g.jpg
  • RideOnTime
    20ktcew.jpg
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    Wathcing the highlights now I'm out of our sheep field

*the way OPQS surged on to the front at 4km was awesome!

*Rode down that hill Canc attacked on and it's not a small lump at all. My Garmin said 7%! I really thought he had it

*I'm going to be contrary and say that I'm not sure Cav is "to blame" for the crash, He's is in the way that a runner that trips and brings another runner down is to blame. They both Dive for Sagan's wheels (and by the way there was a group of Slovaks behind us so I know now exactly to say his name) and fight over the same square cm of tarmac. the Europcar rider does the same thing and shuts the door on all of them. Big shame but a racing incident and no more. I suspect the apology is pure PR from a rider that knew he was out

*Kittel is going to and would have won any sprint stages this tour regardless. Cav is about to lose his Top Sprinter crown IMO

Thanks for all the separated shoulder stuff - Dad did call it with the chocolatte joint thing
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    iainf72 wrote:
    That one is a bit disappointing, one wee crash, Cav still on the deck in the finishing straight and not a whole lot else. Would have been nice if they'd put together more than a minute of footage!
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    ddraver wrote:
    *Rode down that hill Canc attacked on and it's not a small lump at all. My Garmin said 7%! I really thought he had it
    Half a km at 7% is a small hill, you must have been living in Holland too long :):wink:
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    FJS wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Half a km at 7% is a small hill, you must have been living in Holland too long :):wink:
    7% is considered practically flat in this neck of the woods...
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    It's not a flat run-in though is it...like today for example
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    ddraver wrote:
    It's not a flat run-in though is it...like today for example
    Agreed. Was joking a bit, it was a much more challenging run in than many people who hadn't seen the route (including some well paid commentators) anticipated. Just look at the top 10
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    http://bike.caloriesmadesimple.com/2014TdF/

Interesting analysis of the Cav crash here. Not sure I totally agree with his analysis - but Cav not AS bad as first look made out....
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,638
    It's good analysis, and as you say I'm not sure if I agree that much.

The key thing being that it all happened in the space of 2 seconds, so any coherent thought on the part of each rider, other than "I need to be in that gap Sagan has left" is nigh on impossible.

Note Cav and Gerrans still both looking down the road as they start to crash. Pros.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,925
    May be posted already

BryMtbJIEAEKgsv.jpg:large
    Ian Stannard ‏@IStannard · Jul 5
    Gutted to miss @letouryorkshire but got the best seat in the house thanks @rafredarrows @TeamSky pic.twitter.com/rIgQ4UluV2
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • frenchfighter
    Gerrans helmet post crash. And many people still ride without them.
    10499138_723946867668169_505978026_n.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest