Tour de France stage 1 Leeds-Harrogate *Spoiler*

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Nice little master class on buying a sheep dog, makes a change from discussing dry stone walls I guess :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    He he he he Carlton unknowlingly taking the wee wee out of the Phil and Paul show.

Someone tweeting in asking whether Carlton is going to describe dry stone walls in tiny detail. Carlton saying no, why would he do that. It's just a wall made of stones.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    TMR wrote:
    Amazing support on that climb. Quite incredible.

Exactly! I hope the momentum can be maintained for a future WT class race
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Big ring climb for the break, some of the bunch looked to be on the small ring. Had to grind up in 34 x 29 when I went up it a couple of weeks ago.
  • arran77
    Those are some amazing scenes there on the Cote de Cray, great support for the riders.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • above_the_cows
    Anyone else spot Wally at the top of that climb?
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    'Dance for me Alberto'

Excellent banner next to the first KOM point.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Beautiful helicopter camera work of the Peloton through the valley there. An amazing advert for the county. Simply stunning scenery.
  • arran77
    Looking sketchy there with that flat back tyre :shock:

seanoconn
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    He he he he Carlton unknowlingly taking the wee wee out of the Phil and Paul show.

Someone tweeting in asking whether Carlton is going to describe dry stone walls in tiny detail. Carlton saying no, why would he do that. It's just a wall made of stones.
    Brilliant, couldn't help myself
    @carltonkirby any tips on buying a sheep dog?
  • TMR
    'Dance for me Alberto'

Excellent banner next to the first KOM point.

Excellent! Was FF holding it? :)
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    arran77 wrote:
    Looking sketchy there with that flat back tyre :shock:

bit of a ring pincher on that descent
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • above_the_cows
    Graeme_S wrote:

Brilliant, couldn't help myself
    @carltonkirby any tips on buying a sheep dog?

Excellent.
  • TMR
    Go Jens! :)
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Loved the race up Cote du Cray, that was full on.

Comments on the scenery are interesting. We were all saying exactly the same about Corsica last year. Still not found the time (or money being a student this year!) to go. The race is probably the best tourism advert in the world.
  • TMR
    I love the interviews with the old timers #respect
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Got back about half an hour ago - have I missed much?

In case anyone wants to know what the roadside was like, I was with quite a largeish crowd (at least 100 of us) on the first rise after the 0km banner - this worked really well because there was a slight bend so everyone could see without obstruction.

I don't know if TV caught the break go, but after overhearing lots of people explain to their friends/neighbours that the first hour today would be mental as everyone attacked it was rather embarrassing to see three riders haring off the front whilst everyone else seemed to be soft-pedalling. I got the impression that a truce had been brokered amongst the peloton to neutralise things early on - nobody seemed to be trying to get out to the trio in front, nor particularly concerned that they had gone. First mechanical appeared to be a Europcar rider, just about on the crest of the hill.

Not sure if there's much else to say - certain parts of the caravan will chase me through my nightmares for years to come (particularly the pack of giant Fruit Shoots with no visible way of seeing where it's going), the roads were packed with cyclists - mostly headed for Harewood itself, the atmosphere was pretty good on the road, I got the impression that everyone working on the Tour was having a good time too. Most people seemed to be heading north towards Harrogate afterwards - I didn't see many headed my way, and none back towards York (wrecking my cunning plan to find a wheel to suck).
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    TMR wrote:
    I love the interviews with the old timers #respect

Vin Denson, legend!
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    edited July 2014
    I'm getting a buzz just watching the crowds. Must be amazing to ride it.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • arran77
    Respect to Jens :D

seanoconn
  • Give me more
    Give me more Posts: 487
    edited July 2014
    Got back about half an hour ago - have I missed much?.

Not really missed anything. Scenes on Cote de Cray were awesome, the crowds really are spectacular and the breakaway made a good race of it for the summit. Then the sprint points saw Jensie go off on his own, the other 2 from the break not realising he was actually going to do more than take the sprint points, and then a little skirmish with Greipel (11pts), Sagan (10pts), and Cav (9pts) happened though none of them really dug deep at all and they all lost out to Coquard.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Has anyone a link to updated points please?
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Flock of Seagulls.
    Nice
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Give me more
    Joelsim wrote:
    Has anyone a link to updated points please?

1. GER VOIGT Jens 168 TREK FACTORY RACING 20 pts
    2. FRA EDET Nicolas 172 COFIDIS, SOLUTIONS CREDITS 17 pts
    3. FRA JARRIER Benoit 218 BRETAGNE - SECHE ENVIRONNEMENT 15 pts
    4. FRA COQUARD Bryan 153 TEAM EUROPCAR 13 pts
    5. GER GREIPEL André 135 LOTTO-BELISOL 11 pts
    6. SVK SAGAN Peter 51 CANNONDALE 10 pts
    7. GBR CAVENDISH Mark 71 OMEGA PHARMA-QUICK STEP 9 pts
    8. FRA REZA Kévin 158 TEAM EUROPCAR 8 pts
    9. IT APETACCHI Alessandro 76 OMEGA PHARMA-QUICK STEP 7 pts
    10. POL BODNAR Maciej 52 CANNONDALE 6 pts
    11. ITA VIVIANI Elia 59 CANNONDALE 5 pts
    12. ITA SABATINI Fabio 58 CANNONDALE 4 pts
    13. BEL ROELANDTS Jurgen 138 LOTTO-BELISOL 3 pts
    14. NZL HENDERSON Gregory 137 LOTTO-BELISOL 2 pts
    15. DEN BAK Lars 132 LOTTO-BELISOL 1 pts

http://www.letour.com/le-tour/2014/us/c ... tions.html

has it as it happens pretty much
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I think they've mentioned this is Jens' last tour more times than Jens has started the tour now.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Macaloon wrote:
    I'm getting a buzz just watching the crowds. Must be amazing to ride it.

I'm getting the feeling Preudhomme and Verity are liking the crowds too, they were waving at the crowds from the car going through one of the villages earlier.

Looked like Jens was trying to beat himself in a sprint going through the last village!
  • Give me more
    Cheese production mention!
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Got back about half an hour ago - have I missed much?.

Not really missed anything. Scenes on Cote de Cray were awesome, the crowds really are spectacular and the breakaway made a good race of it for the summit. Then the sprint points saw Jensie go off on his own, the other 2 from the break not realising he was actually going to do more than take the sprint points, and then a little skirmish with Greipel (11pts), Sagan (10pts), and Cav (9pts) happened though none of them really dug deep at all and they all lost out to Coquard.

Thanks - looks like I've not missed much. Was tempted to join the crowds heading north, but figured I'd not catch much of the actual racing that way.
  • TMR
    I love Jens. It would be great to see him take the stage. Can't see it happening, but it would be awesome for him.
  • arran77
    Cheese production mention!

Wensleydale cheese differences no less, please let them mention wallace and gromit :lol:

seanoconn