Tour de France stage 1 Leeds-Harrogate *Spoiler*

Comments

• The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    TMR wrote:
    Narrow roads eh?

Pretty narrow in a 4x4 tbf...
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Looks like everybody got the memo, Cofidis, Les Blancs and Jensie in the first break.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Phil not attempting to pronounce the Bretagne team name :)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    ITV4 was going so well then they spoil it with the words 'over to Phil and Paul for live commentary' :roll:
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    TMR wrote:
    Shocking national anthem.

Both were particularly bad renditions.

I think it was the sound break up more than anything.
  • TMR
    Dear me. Sort the signal out.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    47 riders never ridden the Tour before including every single NetApp rider.

Ad break.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    TMR wrote:
    typekitty wrote:
    Annoying that the picture keeps breaking up...

Agreed. What is going on?

Rubbish for this day and age, it's not as though it's crap weather.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • Pross
    hammerite wrote:
    Looks like everybody got the memo, Cofidis, Les Blancs and Jensie in the first break.

Europcar didn't check their inbox or Tommy didn't realise the cameras are rolling all day.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    typekitty wrote:
    Crap pictures.

Off goes Jens =)

Love Jens Voigt, such a legend.

Indeed, nice to seeing me have a good old crack right from the start.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    So how do I mention to my friends that we've seen all the racing we're likely to see for the next 4 hours?
  • TMR
    Pross wrote:
    ITV4 was going so well then they spoil it with the words 'over to Phil and Paul for live commentary' :roll:

I'd rather have Imlach, Millar and Boardman commentate to be honest.
  • frenchfighter
    Pross wrote:

+1
    So dated.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Why don't more people go in the break on stage 1? At the least there's a King of the Mountains jersey up for grabs.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TMR
    RichN95 wrote:
    Why don't more people go in the break on stage 1? At the least there's a King of the Mountains jersey up for grabs.

Because they'd have to go from Teams not interested in the sprint or get chased down.
  • Pross
    Always surprised how quickly the break builds a couple of minutes, particularly surprised at how easily it got established as I thought everyone would want to be in the first break of the race.
  • frenchfighter
    RichN95 wrote:

They know its 99% futile and are saving their energy given sprinters dont get this chance to bag the yellow jersey often. They also got a heads up on number of ad breaks, poor rider recognition from P&P and the picture break up.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    edited July 2014
    RichN95 wrote:

I never understand this either. It's there to be taken. I remember Marcel Wust targeted polka (was a pimple in a prologue though)and then won a sprint in the jersey.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • TMR
    Pross wrote:
    Always surprised how quickly the break builds a couple of minutes, particularly surprised at how easily it got established as I thought everyone would want to be in the first break of the race.

They want an easy day. No crashing. The first few stages are always nervous.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Halford's ad on itv4 is quite good.
    (I know it's considered bad form to say anything good about them).
  • typekitty
    typekitty Posts: 188
    TMR wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I'd rather have Imlach, Millar and Boardman commentate to be honest.

There is always the Ligget/Sherwan drinking game to help ease the pain.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
    With 60kms to the finish, it's only the guys in the break with a chance of the Polka Dot,
    so yeah.
    A bit inept, some of the other, lesser teams.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • TMR
    Jesus! Look at the crowds man! Amazing support! #goosebumps
  • arran77
    Mad_Malx wrote:

But the ad breaks are so frequent, it's a pain in the arse, suppose its a break from Phil and Paul though :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    arran77 wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:

But the ad breaks are so frequent, it's a pain in the ars*, suppose its a break from Phil and Paul though :lol:
    Oy! Leave Phil and Paul alone. Like seeing swallows in the field behind my house, this is how you measure the start of the summer :lol:
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,538
    Cofidis will retire en masse tomorrow, as they've already managed their season's goal of getting a rider in a TdF break.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Phigget has just refered to the "2009" grand depart from London and Sherwen didn't correct him - oh dear.
  • arran77
    Another advert break, yeah :lol:

seanoconn
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    mm1 wrote:
    Phigget has just refered to the "2009" grand depart from London and Sherwen didn't correct him - oh dear.
    And referring to Yorkshire as a cotton manufactury was an unforgivable slip. Off with their heads!
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • TMR
    Why are there so many breaks? Annoying.