Nationals *spoiler*

Comments

• inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Super fast from Wiggins. He should blitz the commonwealth games, but then what?
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Surprised at Geraint in 2nd?
    I thought this course might suit him, remember him at the start of the year on those hills on the sky train? (Can't remember if it was Catalunya or the Algarve) He was a beast.

Congratulations to Wiggins but what a frustrating man he really is. One day he can't be bothered and another he goes out and smashes it. He must be an absolute nightmare to manage!
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    He did win the Bayern Rundfahrt long TT recently.

Good win by Wiggins
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    Shoutout for Guernseyman James McLaughlin in 5th, first non world tour rider.
  • VO2min
    VO2min Posts: 28
    https://twitter.com/TeamSky/status/482251661143191553

Team sky being asked the obvious question on twitter. If he wins the Road Race next week will be fun for their PR people.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Yeah if Froome needs help in the ITT then Wiggo is who they need.
  • Turfle

I think Thomas is every bit the tester Dowsett is, it's just very rare he gets the chance to target one. Alex does other jobs for Movistar, but mostly he's there to target and win TTs.
  • VO2min
    VO2min Posts: 28
    Turfle wrote:

I can see the reasons both for and against Wiggins doing the Tour, but that kind of riding is useful at le carrefour de l'arbre and for the first 5km of a long climb.
  • Turfle
    VO2min wrote:
    Turfle wrote:

I can see the reasons both for and against Wiggins doing the Tour, but that kind of riding is useful at le carrefour de l'arbre and for the first 5km of a long climb.

I'd love him to be there, but him being really good at TTs isn't going to shock Brailsford or Sky. It still all comes down to we know he can be a huge help to Froome, but would he be? That's for the other thread though!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,393
    VO2min wrote:

Team sky being asked the obvious question on twitter. If he wins the Road Race next week will be fun for their PR people.

So if you were Wiggo, would you work as hard as you could for whoever wins the Straw Poll on the Sky bus to win the stripes or ignore all that, take a flyer, win solo making you a hero in the UK and f**k off to Orica?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,201
    ddraver wrote:
    VO2min wrote:

So if you were Wiggo, would you work as hard as you could for whoever wins the Straw Poll on the Sky bus to win the stripes or ignore all that, take a flyer, win solo making you a hero in the UK and f**k off to Orica?

Says in the Team Sky report on his TT win that he isn't riding on Sunday.
  • ddraver
    hmmm...Brailsford may be more on top of this than i thought... ;)
    - @ddraver
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    I think he is going to go back to the track of rio then retire, there has been talk of him riding track in Glasgow and he said this is probably his last Nat TT......
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    Absolutely smashed! The climb was a killer & some of the corners were lethal when wet.., I had 3 or 4 big moments with lock ups or rear wheel slips which dents confidence.., but great fun & great roadside support! :)
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    I think he is going to go back to the track of rio then retire, there has been talk of him riding track in Glasgow and he said this is probably his last Nat TT......

Seems like a real shame, would love to see a repeat of 2011 on Sunday and then a real go at the classics next year.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,159
    moonshine wrote:
    Absolutely smashed! The climb was a killer & some of the corners were lethal when wet.., I had 3 or 4 big moments with lock ups or rear wheel slips which dents confidence.., but great fun & great roadside support! :)
    And you beat David Millar
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,832
    RichN95 wrote:
    moonshine wrote:

Millar lost the plot on the start line.
    30 second countdown, all was quiet, the crowd hushed in anticipation, then a solitary guy screams out in a valleys voice.....
    ....."Smash 'em Dave, smash 'em!"
    Everybody erupts in laughter, as does DM.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • moonshine
    RichN95 wrote:
    ^^^^^ like :)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,661
    moonshine wrote:

I gave you promised shout as you went to the start ramp and on your first time up the hill. What was the riders opinion of the course? I'm all for a testing course but felt that was a bit OTT. One woman at least had to walk and another was in tears. You could tell who had done a course recce - there were several men and lots of women over-geared.

Quite a few people were tipping G for the TT. Hadn't realised Brad wasn't riding on Sunday, that's a shame with Cav out.

Felt really sorry for Sarah Storey, she got nabbed to go in and talk to the corporate tables whilst still in her race kit straight from the podium and was there ages. Not a sign of complaint or frustration though, a real class act.

Met Blazing Saddles briefly and had a long chat with Richmond Racer and friends. Also saw Jibberjim and Maryka although didn't get a chance to speak with them.
  • moonshine
    I rode it on a compact 50/34 and 11-25 - for me it was the right combination for that climb. I agree a lot of riders, esp women and u23 were overgeared, lots were on a 53/39 and 11-25 or 28.
    I was fine on first climb, but even on the compact setup I was creaking at the end of the second climb... I was putting out ~500w just creaking up it.

For me the section just after the climb through Celtic a Manor and the start & first puncy climb just after the start was the most dodgy section.... Little grip & I had som big back wheel slides...
  • ddraver
    Me an Frenchie's favourite Pauline Ferrand Prevot wins in France (plus some bloke called Sylvain...)
    - @ddraver
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    moonshine wrote:
    I rode it on a compact 50/34 and 11-25 - for me it was the right combination for that climb. I agree a lot of riders, esp women and u23 were overgeared, lots were on a 53/39 and 11-25 or 28.
    I was fine on first climb, but even on the compact setup I was creaking at the end of the second climb... I was putting out ~500w just creaking up it.

For me the section just after the climb through Celtic a Manor and the start & first puncy climb just after the start was the most dodgy section.... Little grip & I had som big back wheel slides...

I don't understand this unless there was no access to the course beforehand. I've never ridden the course but from the promotional vid and what every has been saying the last few weeks it was obviously notoriously steep. How can they have got the gearing issue so wrong?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    "I said to my wife before I started, I wonder where the nearest hospital is. I thought it might be in Newport and she said it was a University hospital so there would be good staff there.

Wiggins fully commited......
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,661
    moonshine wrote:

I don't understand this unless there was no access to the course beforehand. I've never ridden the course but from the promotional vid and what every has been saying the last few weeks it was obviously notoriously steep. How can they have got the gearing issue so wrong?

There was access beforehand but at that level most people would come down on the day and wouldn't have spare chain sets and cassettes. I thought the men would generally be using a 39 x 27 or similar. That said, in the Dowsett thread the other week when I was saying how tough it was I was basically told I was exaggerating so I think a lot of people under-estimated it. I was surprised that everyone rode a TT bike and that most had solid rear discs on, I'm not convinced there were enough sections to gain the benefit other than for the very fastest men.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    national-champs-2014-tt-Wiggins.jpg

national-champs-2014-tt-Thomas.jpg

national-champs-2014-tt-Dowsett-7.jpg

Committed!
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Interesting Wiggins is saying it'll be his last national championships. If he's continuing onto Rio 2016 there should be room for one more next year, or at least keep that option open? Retirement? TdF GC focus next year? Complete move away from the road?
  • tom3
    tom3 Posts: 287
    FJS wrote:
    Interesting Wiggins is saying it'll be his last national championships. If he's continuing onto Rio 2016 there should be room for one more next year, or at least keep that option open? Retirement? TdF GC focus next year? Complete move away from the road?

To appear so accepting of the decision, you must wonder if he has been promised a GC focus next year from a rival team.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Daz555 wrote:
    national-champs-2014-tt-Wiggins.jpg

national-champs-2014-tt-Thomas.jpg

national-champs-2014-tt-Dowsett-7.jpg

I think it may have been asked before, but I cannot remember. Does anyone know who makes Wiggo's skinsuit?
    Obviouosly the rest of SKY (and Dowsett) are in BioRacer ones but Wiggo looks to be in something different

Note: I already know its not designed and/or made by Rapha :wink:
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    tom3 wrote:
    FJS wrote:

To appear so accepting of the decision, you must wonder if he has been promised a GC focus next year from a rival team.
    Could he be a lead GT rider in 2015 and still make the 2016 track squad though? No mean feat getting selected for GB endurance squad.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Apparently Mr Millar is getting caught already. Embarrassingly bad year for him so far...hopefully he is not taking much of a salary and does something of note later.

Maybe check to see if there is a reason for a rider's 'embarrassing' performances ?

From http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/britis ... en/results
    David Millar’s day ended early when he was caught by Thomas before they had completed the first lap. The Garmin-Sharp rider had been suffering with a cough prior to the event and decided to climb off.

Twitter
    David Millar ‏@millarmind 13h
    As soon as I rolled off the start ramp I realised maybe doing a TT wasn't such a good idea to help cure my wee cough. Saving it for Sunday.