Nationals *spoiler*

Comments

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    Thought I'd kick this off because I fancy coming over, any tips appreciated.
    Pross/anyone else - any tips about access/ best spots to watch the TT? I plan to take the train to Newport and cycling over. Are there likely to be problems moving round? The km 18 hill looks tasty.

For the RR I'm planning cycling back up the course from Newport after they pass to see the circuits in Abergevenny - is this a bad idea?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,538
    I've got hospitality tickets for the TT provided to the club by Monmouthshire Council :D

Best place for watching the TT will be the hill towards the end of the lap, it's a bit of a brute. It is a private road in the Celtic Manor 2010 golf course by the club house so I'm not sure what they are doing access wise. Failing that there is a climb on the narrow country lane coming out of Newbridge-on-Usk. Just before that they cross the river on a old bridge that will make nice photos and the Newbridge restaurant at the bottom of that climb should be good for sitting out with a pint (I think you can just get a drink in there but probably worth checking).

For the road race I would suggest riding out ahead of the race to watch them ride up the climb out of Tintern (there's a cycling friendly cafe in Tintern http://www.tinternvillage.co.uk/eatstay/the-italian-garden-cafe/). This basically climbs the western side of the Wye Valley and I think could be where the real racing starts. From that climb there are a few nice rides back into Abergavenny via Raglan. The finishing circuit is fully closed but you can get around on the footway easily enough. I'm not a big fan of the finish circuit, there's a bit of a climb on the loop but it's only through a residential area. It always feels a bit of a waste considering the roads in the area but I guess it's the only realistic way to have a closed road circuit. It may be better to lock the bike up and then watch them in the town centre with a coffee or a pint.

Alternatively, you could ride out of Newport to Usk and then watch the women's race going over the Cold Harbour climb (as used in the race I organise) and then cut across to Monmouth, Rockfield and Newcastle to catch the men's race on the climb out of Skenfrith. I doubt you'll do it in time to catch the women going up that climb and I'm not sure of the timings but you could possibly sit out at the pub or cafe in Skenfrith (it has a lovely castle) then get up the climb ahead of the men's race and watch them there then follow them in to Abergavenny for the circuits.

If you just want to have a good ride and then catch the finishing circuits you could ride Newport to Usk and then join the women's race route and follow it through Monmouth. It's really good cycling country, up and down all the way from Monmouth back to Abergavenny with some fairly long, steady climbs.

I'll do a bit of a guide to the courses at some point soon.
  • Mad_Malx
    Pross wrote:
    Best place for watching the TT will be the hill towards the end of the lap, it's a bit of a brute. It is a private road in the Celtic Manor 2010 golf course by the club house so I'm not sure what they are doing access wise. Failing that there is a climb on the narrow country lane coming out of Newbridge-on-Usk. Just before that they cross the river on a old bridge that will make nice photos and the Newbridge restaurant at the bottom of that climb should be good for sitting out with a pint (I think you can just get a drink in there but probably worth checking).

Thanks Pross, really useful. Newbridge pub sounds interesting, might have a look there.
    Looking at the map, am I right in thinking the TT crosses back over the Usk on what is marked on the OS map as a (probably private) footbridge to Little Bulmore, rather than the B road at Caerleon?

Train times not very helpful to me on Sun morning, I might do Tintern then head home again to watch on tv.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Best place for watching the TT will be the hill towards the end of the lap, it's a bit of a brute

When you say a brute, do you know what kind of gradient it is? On the elevation map is it the climb that starts at around 17km?
  • Pross
    Milton50 wrote:
    Best place for watching the TT will be the hill towards the end of the lap, it's a bit of a brute

When you say a brute, do you know what kind of gradient it is? On the elevation map is it the climb that starts at around 17km?

It's probably about half a mile long at around 15%, I keep meaning to get a photo of it. It will be hard work on a TT bike with TT gearing. The lap is just under 20k so yes, it is that one.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    Read somewhere that ES were showing this live.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Two hours (16:00 to 18:00) is on the schedule for the 29th.
  • Pross
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Thanks Pross, really useful. Newbridge pub sounds interesting, might have a look there.
    Looking at the map, am I right in thinking the TT crosses back over the Usk on what is marked on the OS map as a (probably private) footbridge to Little Bulmore, rather than the B road at Caerleon?

Train times not very helpful to me on Sun morning, I might do Tintern then head home again to watch on tv.

Yes, it uses the private bridge that crosses the Usk in the golf club. About 3 miles of the circuit is within the hotel grounds. The turn off the Usk Road towards that bridge is quite tight.
  • Pross
    If anyone is coming down and staying over from the time trial to the road race don't forget that the Friday night has the Welsh Crit Champs in Abergavenny. It's a good course with a narrow technical section, a few wider streets and a downhill, straight section into a 90 degree bend. Also, if you are stuck for something to do on the Saturday night then I recommend booking some tickets for this http://congresstheatrecwmbran.ticketsolve.com/shows/873515537/events?show_id=873515537. A bargain at £8 to see some incredible talent in action plus me making my stage debut! :wink:
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Pross wrote:
    If anyone is coming down and staying over from the time trial to the road race don't forget that the Friday night has the Welsh Crit Champs in Abergavenny. It's a good course with a narrow technical section, a few wider streets and a downhill, straight section into a 90 degree bend. Also, if you are stuck for something to do on the Saturday night then I recommend booking some tickets for this http://congresstheatrecwmbran.ticketsolve.com/shows/873515537/events?show_id=873515537. A bargain at £8 to see some incredible talent in action plus me making my stage debut! :wink:

David (Becky's dad) has just rang me with a bit of breaking news, so I can trump that.

On the Saturday evening, (28th June) we have none other than Sean Yates,
    dropping in, for a little chat.
    The venue is the Hen and Chicks in Abergavenny at 6pm. No tickets, free to all, (except for the beer) first come, first served.

Sorry, you won't be able to attend, Pross!
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Turfle
    I'll be popping over. Not sure what days for yet, but I'd feel super lazy if I don't make the effort.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Pross wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:

It's probably about half a mile long at around 15%, I keep meaning to get a photo of it. It will be hard work on a TT bike with TT gearing. The lap is just under 20k so yes, it is that one.

Jeez that will be horrible on a TT bike. Can you imagine coming into the last 2km of a TT and facing that wall. Not nice.
  • Turfle
    They've accidentally used a Pais Vasco stage profile.
  • Pross
    Milton50 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:

Jeez that will be horrible on a TT bike. Can you imagine coming into the last 2km of a TT and facing that wall. Not nice.

Looking at it more closely, the really steep bit is probably only around 300m and peaks at 17% but the climb as a whole is about 800m long (still averages well over 10% though). The men get to do it twice as well :twisted: I've got no sympathy, I've ridden the Beacon Little Mountain TT.
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:

David (Becky's dad) has just rang me with a bit of breaking news, so I can trump that.

On the Saturday evening, (28th June) we have none other than Sean Yates,
    dropping in, for a little chat.
    The venue is the Hen and Chicks in Abergavenny at 6pm. No tickets, free to all, (except for the beer) first come, first served.

Sorry, you won't be able to attend, Pross!

Don't go telling them that, I need to sell tickets to our show!
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    I'm riding the senior male TT. And plan to pre-ride course on the Wed. Not looking fwd to the Celticberg :(

Oh, and getting thumped by Wiggins, Dowsett, Bottrill and almost everyone else!
  • Pross
    Good luck, let me have your race number and I'll give you a shout if I haven't had to leave. It's quite a technical course over the whole lap but I'm sure you'll be fine and it's a lovely setting for a race.
  • moonshine
    Pross wrote:
    Good luck, let me have your race number and I'll give you a shout if I haven't had to leave. It's quite a technical course over the whole lap but I'm sure you'll be fine and it's a lovely setting for a race.
    cheers! :)
    # 11 -
    61C4FC05-1CC4-4680-97DF-8451CB19EB1C_zps6iiu7nwl.png
  • Mad_Malx
    Oh - so the men's TTs aren't until the evening, and top seeds aren't going to be home until nine (no disrespect moonshine - I'm massively impressed by anyone that qualifies). Hadn't realised this at all.
  • Pross
    Yeah, it's a shame as I'm there all day but will have to leave at 7.30pm for my final rehearsal. Should get to see Moonshine tackle the Muur du Caerleon first time though. He's getting chased for a minute by Matt Postle who used to win everything in these parts when I first started racing and who made a comeback last year. Not many locals riding (excluding Geraint and Luke!). I wonder if Wiggins will show up?
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    moonshine wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    cheers! :)
    # 11 -
    61C4FC05-1CC4-4680-97DF-8451CB19EB1C_zps6iiu7nwl.png
    Is it seeded in (theoretically) slowest to fastest order (apart from Alex being last man off as defending champ)?
  • moonshine
    No offence taken :)
    Updated start sheets
    03BA7475-64FF-4DD4-90E3-5F646140AAA3_zpscd4e7cda.png
    3E6D689D-6542-46E6-B4B7-E2B3E72D5339_zpsjnslsaxq.png
    2317A566-CF3D-400E-AED3-EF5B6CFD24ED_zpsrhsxce5u.png
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Sorry Moonshine, wasn't aimed at you!

Just had a quick scan through the list and there's noticed at least who seems to be out of position if that is how it's seeded...
  • moonshine
    no problems... no offence was taken! :)
    in club TTS, the seeded riders go off on a multiple of 10, fastest last, i.e fastest riders would be 90,80,70,60 etc, then the second tier seeds go of on a 5, i.e 85, 75, 65, 55 etc.
    in champ races, of same seeding applies, with the final 10 riders are the fastest seeded riders in reverse order, with larger time gaps - to try and prevent a catch - e.g 2 or 3 minutes - so 90, 89, 88, 87 etc.
    no idea if this has been seeded this way, but i think i’m in about the right position - club riders are low start order and pro’s coming later - my pb qualification times were a 20:08 for a 10mTT and a 53:20 for a 25
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    edited June 2014
    Does anyone have more detailed maps of the TT and the Womens and Men's routes? Or even .gpx or something?

EDIT http://www.nationalroadchamps.co.uk/championship-course/ ...gpx files and zoomy in out there
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    So are the startlists on the British Cycling website not worth looking at? Just noticed they're rather different (guessing they're out of date and no-one's bothered to update them for members of the public who might be interested). For example – website shows just 30 women starters, the posted sheet 44.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    moonshine wrote:
    I'm riding the senior male TT. And plan to pre-ride course on the Wed. Not looking fwd to the Celticberg :(

Oh, and getting thumped by Wiggins, Dowsett, Bottrill and almost everyone else!

Anyone who has qualified for this deserves a chapeau

Just make sure your minute man doesn't catch you !!

Good luck
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,923
    Please give #13 Charles Rees a big cheer - he coaches at our club.
  • moonshine
    So are the startlists on the British Cycling website not worth looking at? Just noticed they're rather different (guessing they're out of date and no-one's bothered to update them for members of the public who might be interested). For example – website shows just 30 women starters, the posted sheet 44.

I’ve taken photos from the race manual i was sent out - which AFAIK is the full and current start sheet.