Nationals *spoiler*

Comments

• r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,201
    10 minutes of highlights now on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti7IY110alo
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    r0bh wrote:
    10 minutes of highlights now on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti7IY110alo

Can see how slippy it must have been about 5.46 in the car following Rowe seems to go into a skid going round the bend!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,832
    andyrr wrote:
    Apparently Mr Millar is getting caught already. Embarrassingly bad year for him so far...hopefully he is not taking much of a salary and does something of note later.

Maybe check to see if there is a reason for a rider's 'embarrassing' performances ?

From http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/britis ... en/results
    David Millar’s day ended early when he was caught by Thomas before they had completed the first lap. The Garmin-Sharp rider had been suffering with a cough prior to the event and decided to climb off.

Twitter
    David Millar ‏@millarmind 13h
    As soon as I rolled off the start ramp I realised maybe doing a TT wasn't such a good idea to help cure my wee cough. Saving it for Sunday.

Waiting for the start, he was hunched over his bike, having a coughing fit.
    Sounded really rough.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,236
    r0bh wrote:

Is that the Sky car nearly losing it behind Luke Rowe at 5.47?

From last night's performance, can we deduce that it's not the descending in the wet that's Brad's issue, it's doing it with other riders around?
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    r0bh wrote:

Rendell's commentary sounds like he's on valium, its a relief to hear Hugh Porter getting excited in the background.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    andyrr wrote:
    Apparently Mr Millar is getting caught already. Embarrassingly bad year for him so far...hopefully he is not taking much of a salary and does something of note later.[/quote]

Maybe check to see if there is a reason for a rider's 'embarrassing' performances ?

From http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/britis ... en/results
    David Millar’s day ended early when he was caught by Thomas before they had completed the first lap. The Garmin-Sharp rider had been suffering with a cough prior to the event and decided to climb off.

Twitter
    David Millar ‏@millarmind 13h
    As soon as I rolled off the start ramp I realised maybe doing a TT wasn't such a good idea to help cure my wee cough. Saving it for Sunday.

For someone who is supposed to know a lot about Pro cycle racing and riders you do say some disgracefull things. :roll:
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Who said he is supposed to know a lot? I would say the polar opposite and that he knows f all, hence so many people skip over his drivel like its not there, despite his best efforts to be as troll like as possible.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    r0bh wrote:

The hilly parts seem pretty steep, a few of the women they showed really looked like they could use a few more gears!
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    tom3 wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    Interesting Wiggins is saying it'll be his last national championships. If he's continuing onto Rio 2016 there should be room for one more next year, or at least keep that option open? Retirement? TdF GC focus next year? Complete move away from the road?

To appear so accepting of the decision, you must wonder if he has been promised a GC focus next year from a rival team.

I've been working on the assumption that he's signed with Orica for a couple of weeks now.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    ddraver wrote:
    VO2min wrote:

Team sky being asked the obvious question on twitter. If he wins the Road Race next week will be fun for their PR people.

So if you were Wiggo, would you work as hard as you could for whoever wins the Straw Poll on the Sky bus to win the stripes or ignore all that, take a flyer, win solo making you a hero in the UK and f**k off to Orica?

Looks like the Straw Poll has already been rigged :wink:
    Wiggins - “I think that the team they are sending is an incredible team. They’ve got the defending champion, who’s still got to be the favourite to win it. You’ve got the like of Geraint, who could win on Sunday and take the British Road title into the Tour. I think the team they are taking, you can’t fault it.”
    (Source; http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/video-w ... -on-monday)
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    mm1 wrote:
    r0bh wrote:

Rendell's commentary sounds like he's on valium.
    Perhaps he's been up all night writing the text he's reading from. Sounds like a vicar's sermon.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Prize for most enthusiastic commentator does not go to this bloke!
  • Paul 8v
    At least he got the riders names right I suppose...
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Paul 8v wrote:
    At least he got the riders names right I suppose...

To be fair Matt Rendell knows his cycling. He doesnt have the voice for commentating admittedly!
  • Paul 8v
    He definitely does not have the voice, as Le Commentateur said it's like a bloody church sermon, I was expecting him to go on about Jesus christ our saviour halfway through!
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    I always feel like he's trying to hypnotise me.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Wiggins deserved it based on the fact he wore a cycling cap on the podium and not a skip cap
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    The_Boy wrote:
    tom3 wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    Interesting Wiggins is saying it'll be his last national championships. If he's continuing onto Rio 2016 there should be room for one more next year, or at least keep that option open? Retirement? TdF GC focus next year? Complete move away from the road?

To appear so accepting of the decision, you must wonder if he has been promised a GC focus next year from a rival team.

I've been working on the assumption that he's signed with Orica for a couple of weeks now.

I still can't believe this is true. I know stranger things happen at sea, but even still...
  • Paul 8v
    sjmclean wrote:
    Wiggins deserved it based on the fact he wore a cycling cap on the podium and not a skip cap
    This is true
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,564
    Paul 8v wrote:
    sjmclean wrote:
    This is true

+1, though his shoes were shocking!
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    What with all this talk of equality, glad to see BC continue to patronise the ladeeez by letting them do only one lap of the TT course. 13 miles is still a jolly long way - and besides, riders like Pooley haven't been riding long - and only have likkle leggy-weggies!
    Most of the lady riders I spoke to seemed quite happy having to only ride the hill once!
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    I don't understand this unless there was no access to the course beforehand. I've never ridden the course but from the promotional vid and what every has been saying the last few weeks it was obviously notoriously steep. How can they have got the gearing issue so wrong?

So Maryka had 36x28, and probably should've had 34x28 or 36x30, but obviously the compromise of that may have been different, a 52/34 would've been quite a risk with shifting on a course that had a lot of big/small ring shifts, and a 30 is even more pushing the jumps between gears. So it wasn't a simple answer. However yes, most of the teams - and all of Wiggle Honda looked particularly overgeared going up the climb on the big screen, I was surprised the "pro" women were so far off.

I don't think so much can be said for so many of the amateur riders, it's quite a trip to recce it (or to bring a whole heap of cassette/ring options and fettle their bikes the day before) especially for UK women riders who always have to travel to get any level of racing.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,236
    People go on about that Wiggins being moody, but I shouted some words of encouragement at that Moonshine from the road side and got completely blanked. It was as if all he could think about was himself.
    If cyclists can't manage a hearty wave or salute to cheer up the hardy fans who brave the wet and greasy fast descent sections with off-camber ... Then I don't see much future in cycling as a spectator sport.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,339
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    People go on about that Wiggins being moody, but I shouted some words of encouragement at that Moonshine from the road side and got completely blanked. It was as if all he could think about was himself.
    If cyclists can't manage a hearty wave or salute to cheer up the hardy fans who brave the wet and greasy fast descent sections with off-camber ... Then I don't see much future in cycling as a spectator sport.

Should have stuck a pump through his spokes second lap. Ungrateful sod. The least he could have done is stopped for a chat, with the possibility of a pint or two after.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    ^^
    Like ! :)
    I'm sorry... I kind of had my hands full at that precise moment!
    I did manage to salute most spectators around the course tho and made a special effort to salute the tifosi on my second pass of the climb! :)
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Just watched the Youtube footage. Does Dani King take a cheeky draft from Sarah Storey when she gets passed by Storey on the climb?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Just watched the Youtube footage. Does Dani King take a cheeky draft from Sarah Storey when she gets passed by Storey on the climb?
    She looked at walking pace at the time though!.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,661
    OCDuPalais wrote:

Aye, he did the same to me. Seems a bit of a primadonna. Still, at least won't have those dour Scots at Nationals for much longer.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    160 starters tomorrow. Wow.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Sky Dr's can suck on this:

bradwiggins
    1 day ago
    Me and Mrs celebrating in McDonalds on the M5 with a load of lorry drivers in clogs
    10471842_296498667190186_336920698_n.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest