Nationals *spoiler*

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Cavendish has dropped out of the Road Race. Bronchitis.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    deejay wrote:
    Those TT start orders are a pile of utter rubbish.
    This is not a Stage Race TT.
    The Top Riders should be split with lesser riders in between.

I remember some years ago (under RTTC Regulations) in the Midlands where some Idiot had Derek Cottington as last man and 1 minute in front was a Road Race Champion.
    Cottington caught his minute man quickly and carried on with the other guy following the pace setting.
    Cottington Broke the Competition Record for the 25 mile race and submitted the paperwork to claim the Comp Record.
    They threw the claim out because the riders were seen together and it did not matter that nobody had seen the RR rider in front after he had been caught.

I was taught to place scratch men on a 5 or 0 number and never more than 30 minutes between the favourites but British Cycling have no Idea about Time trials. I set the TT field 30/40 times for Open and Association events.
    The UCI are not very TT knowledgeable as they allowed the Tour de France Prolog with Armstrong as last man (defending rider) and at 1 minute in front they had Ulrich starting.
    Talk about a carrot to chase was all the motivation that was needed for Ulrich to be caught in a Dam Prolog.

Rant Over.

Last year the top 5 were separated by only 50 seconds; not very likely to get any catches at the pointy end of things with two minute gaps. Spreading the seeded riders throughout the field is therefore unnecessary and increases the chances of variable conditions affecting the outcome.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Oh - will should change this topic title to *spoiler* I suppose.
    How do I do that?

Figured it now.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    RichN95 wrote:
    Cavendish has dropped out of the Road Race. Bronchitis.

Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team communicates that Mark Cavendish will not take the start at the British National Road Championship on Sunday.

The current British Champion is busy with a bout of bronchitis that began during the last stages of the Tour de Suisse. As a precautional measure, Mark will not participate on Sunday and will continue training in Italy prior to the Tour de France.

"I'm sad because, as current champion, I would really like to defend the title," Cavendish said. "I would have liked to honor the race and this jersey that I wore for all of 2014 so far, which allowed me to represent my country proudly. I think it's wiser, however, to not take any risks and focus on absolute, 100 percent recovery, and continue to train in function of the Tour de France. I talked with the race organizers and they understood my situation perfectly. I wish them well, and also wish good luck to all riders at the race on Sunday trying to fight for this jersey I've been so proud to wear."

Read more at http://www.omegapharma-quickstep.com/en ... fAtT5Wx.99
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    Seems to be a few riders commenting on how tough the climb on the TT circuit is so it isn't just a heavier rider who will struggle as was suggested when I first mentioned it a few weeks ago :wink: The good news is I just walked the dog and there's a bit of a breeze blowing which as far as I can judge with my sense of direction will be in the riders' faces going up the climb. Forecast looks like it will stay fine, there's rain coming up from the south but it seems like it will die out before it crosses the Bristol Channel.
  • Pross
    Why isn't Froome riding the Nationals? Has he ever done one since joining Sky?
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    deejay wrote:
    I was taught to place scratch men on a 5 or 0 number and never more than 30 minutes between the favourites but British Cycling have no Idea about Time trials. I set the TT field 30/40 times for Open and Association events.

Rant Over.

Championships should always be seeded from slowest to fastest, keeping riders separated is not the aim (if you're caught, drop back or be DQ'd) The CTT do national champtionships in the same way. It's to minimise the difference in conditions.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • heavy_rat
    heavy_rat Posts: 264
    Pross wrote:

Think its for Brits only :wink:
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    Heading down to the Celtic Manor in a bit.
    Long day ahead. Thankfully, being a VIP :P , I get the
    old, all day hospitality treatment. :)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DL1987
    DL1987 Posts: 204
    The 3 local NFTO boys have withdrawn this morning. Sam Harrison, James "Tank" Lewis & Dale Appleby.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Hope to see Katie Archibald get a podium, probably a bit hilly for the win but she's come on great the last year or so - particularly since she went on the development programme in the Autumn. Doing well on the track, in crits and TTs and getting better all the time in road races
  • TheBiggles
    TheBiggles Posts: 33
    Any thoughts about best spot to watch the road race? I'll be driving up from Cardiff. Would love to use the train, but I'll probably end up cycling the whole way home because of Ariva.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Is there any live coverage of the TT, or do we have to wait for a short bit on the ITV4 highlights programme on Sunday evening?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Pross wrote:
    2010. He came 11th. And later that year he was 2nd in the TT behind Wiggins.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

This TT would have suited him.
  • Pross
    DL1987 wrote:
    The 3 local NFTO boys have withdrawn this morning. Sam Harrison, James "Tank" Lewis & Dale Appleby.

Is this from the TT or road race? I suspect the hill didn't suit Tank but surprised at the other two unless they are ill.
  • Pross

As a fellow VIP I'll be seeing you there then :)
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    Pross wrote:

As a fellow VIP I'll be seeing you there then :)

If you're following in a float (drinking fine wines and wearing ermine)... Give us road-side paupers a wave.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Can someone tell me where I can get updates on the U23 TT today please. Someone I know is riding :)
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Pross wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

You would have thought he be motivated to try and beat Wiggins but also so he can wear a proper kit rather than that awful thing he wears now.
    That being said dont think he could ever feel comfortable riding with UK stripes on his kit.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Pross wrote:
    DL1987 wrote:

Is this from the TT or road race? I suspect the hill didn't suit Tank but surprised at the other two unless they are ill.

Why would three riders from the same team pull out at the same moment?

Apparently they are all ill.

They are due to start the RR.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Nice little article on Matt Bottrill in the Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2 ... ime-trials
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    mm1 wrote:
    Is there any live coverage of the TT, or do we have to wait for a short bit on the ITV4 highlights programme on Sunday evening?

On Twitter search on #roadchamps and you might see some updates from people at the venue.

Also follow @RoadChamps on Twitter.

If find a Twitter list to subscribe to I'll post it.
  • Le Commentateur
    Checking the course.

BrDVXdLIUAAiogh_zps517bb4c5.jpg~original

(Black & gold TT bike was being worked on by the mechanic)
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    seems to be live text coverage here http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/nation ... nshipslive
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Pross wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

You would have thought he be motivated to try and beat Wiggins but also so he can wear a proper kit rather than that awful thing he wears now.
    That being said dont think he could ever feel comfortable riding with UK stripes on his kit.

People really feel the need to constantly bring this up despite it being done to death, and then talk about threads being polluted by unnecessary distractions.
    For what it's worth I would have thought people would be happy to be associated with a country they have chosen rather than being of that nationality just by accident. He’s never made me feel like he is uncomfortable with his situation.
  • Le Commentateur
    Froome ain't going to risk picking up a cold from NFTO days before le Tour.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Checking the course.

BrDVXdLIUAAiogh_zps517bb4c5.jpg~original

(Black & gold TT bike was being worked on by the mechanic)
    Did someone tilt-shift that photo for some reason?
  • Pross
    First under 23 back in just under 30 minutes can't hear Porter properly!
  • Pross
    Hadn't realised Maryka was riding. Starting in a few minutes.