Tour de Suisse 2014 *spoilers*

Comments

• Macaloon wrote:
    Team Sky ‏@TeamSky 14m
    Sergio Henao finished in the front group as Mark Cavendish sprinted to victory on stage 4 of the #TourDeSuisse. Update on Wiggins to follow.

Terse?
    Definitely. They’re not calling him “the Bradley” anymore. No first name at all now.
    or even Wiggo with the O coloured in neatly

2013-sky-wiggo-cycling-jersey-short-sleeve.jpg
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Big John D must have been held up in the final run in?
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    dsoutar wrote:
    Never mind that. Where's Gerald?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtAZ_xQlFOM

Properly funny!

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    TMR wrote:
    I want to give BW a slap. I've spent days defending him only to have him show me up. Charming.

+1

Wanted him to win this race, but didn't trust his attitude enough so backed Mollema in PTP!

I'm giving myself a slap. What on earth was I thinking in choosing Wiggins?

Oh Yes! I thought he wanted to prove something to his critics...
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    iainf72 wrote:
    TMR wrote:
    I want to give BW a slap. I've spent days defending him only to have him show me up. Charming.

Do you want me to pop over to the Wharf tomorrow to smack you in the gob?

:P

[I'm just joking]

Or coffee and cake on me. PM me.
  • TMR
    Macaloon wrote:
    Team Sky ‏@TeamSky 14m
    Sergio Henao finished in the front group as Mark Cavendish sprinted to victory on stage 4 of the #TourDeSuisse. Update on Wiggins to follow.

Terse?

That doesn't read well. I suspect he might pull out. Or be forced out (can a Team do that?).
  • MrT
    MrT Posts: 260
    RichN95 wrote:
    Wiggins is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get. (Although someone did eat all the purple ones in 2012)
    At the moment he's the bloody orange/strawberry fondant one meh
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Well worth reading Inner Ring's Swiss roll-call of the oppressed 1%. Great Cadel pic, too:

tumblr_n7b54ugC8Z1ropreyo1_1280.jpg
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,450
    Macaloon wrote:
    Never mind that, anybody spot what happened to Big John Degenkolb? Finished well down behind first tiny 4s split.
    He crashed in the neutral zone after one of his tyres burst. Poor Daniele Ratto was brought down in it and has a compound fracture of the collarbone.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Maybe he crashed on purpose.

Now, now, young man, British Olympians don't crash on purpose.......
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Macaloon wrote:
    Well worth reading Inner Ring's Swiss roll-call of the oppressed 1%. Great Cadel pic, too:

Scanning down the page and seeing him squatting with a paper I thought he was dropping the kids off at the pool!
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Daz555 wrote:
    awavey wrote:
    why not just let him carry on at the track and be in form for the Commonwealth games instead.
    Sky pay him to be a road cyclist.

As for form - Wiggo will win the TT with one leg. Not sure about the track but I guess with Team GB split into it's parts he looks a decent bet for Englands TP squad. If he makes it though it feels a bit harsh on the guy who misses out.

well based on todays fall, he might very well need that ability to only use one leg, assuming he even gets to friday at this rate. and yes they do pay him to be a road cyclist, so who let him go off and do the track training which is being used by the press as the reason for the poorer than expected showing so far. :?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    “Bradley has been carrying a mild chest infection from the weekend so he has been taking antibiotics and his condition has improved. Racing with this illness has affected him a bit, but he’s shown his commitment and has worked really well for the team.”
    Read more at http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290, ... X0kqyHM.99
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    awavey wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:
    awavey wrote:
    why not just let him carry on at the track and be in form for the Commonwealth games instead.
    Sky pay him to be a road cyclist.

As for form - Wiggo will win the TT with one leg. Not sure about the track but I guess with Team GB split into it's parts he looks a decent bet for Englands TP squad. If he makes it though it feels a bit harsh on the guy who misses out.

well based on todays fall, he might very well need that ability to only use one leg, assuming he even gets to friday at this rate. and yes they do pay him to be a road cyclist, so who let him go off and do the track training which is being used by the press as the reason for the poorer than expected showing so far. :?

Presumably they pay him to do whatever they want / agree to him doing to gain attention for the sponsors whether that's road racing, track racing or turning up at publicity events.
  • d_o_g
    d_o_g Posts: 286
    Macaloon wrote:

Nice cleats, they're what I use.

Good choice, Cadel.
  • TMR
    edited June 2014
    Sir Bradley Wiggins suffered a crash on the fourth stage of the Tour de Suisse, but the rest of Team Sky came through the day unscathed as the sprinters battled it out in Ossingen.

Wiggins was brought down as the peloton commenced the final lap of a 25km finishing circuit, and despite being able to get back on his bike, the 2012 Tour de France winner was unable to regain contact and rolled home almost 12 minutes back after Mark Cavendish had sprinted to a comfortable victory.

Cavendish had benefitted from a strong lead out by his Omega Pharma – Quick-Step team-mates in the closing stages before kicking on for his ninth success of the season. The Manxman launched his sprint from Michael Morkov’s (Tinkoff-Saxo) wheel in the last 200m and passed Peter Sagan (Cannondale) before pressing home his advantage in trademark style.

Juan Jose Lobato followed Cavendish over the line in second position, with Sagan just behind the Movistar rider in third. Ben Swift was Team Sky’s highest-ranked rider in 15th spot, and Sergio Henao rolled in four places further back in a sizable front group.

Those results had little bearing on the general classification, which ensured Tony Martin (Omega Pharma – Quick-Step) maintained his six-second cushion over Tom Dumoulin at the top of the standings, with Peter Kennaugh (+29sec) and Henao (+36sec) sitting pretty in 11th and 15th places respectively.

Flat stage

The largely flat stage had taken the riders 160.4km from Heiden and Cannondale’s Daniele Ratto was forced to abandon before the action had even started off after taking a tumble in the neutral zone.

Once the flag had lowered however, Daniel Teklehaymanot (MTN Qhuebeka) and Laurens De Vreese (Wanty) went on the attack and that was how things stayed until 10km from home.

Wiggins’s fall punctuated an otherwise straightforward stage, and by the time the two escapees were brought back, several sprint trains were battling for supremacy at the front of the bunch.

BMC Raing, Tinkoff-Saxo and Giant-Shimano all tried their hand but it was Omega Pharma – Quick-Step who were celebrating when Cavendish delivered the goods in a frantic finale.

Wiggins update

Back at the team hotel, Sports Director Dan Frost was able to provide more detail on the day's events and also give an injury update on Wiggins, who has also been suffering from illness.

He said: "The sprint was pretty hectic and stressful but we had guys helping Ben right from the start of the stage, and into the final kilometre.

"Luke [Rowe] did a lot of work for him and he's a great asset to have in that respect. Sergio was right up there towards the end as well and he was looking good and really attentive.

"He's got great morale at the moment and that will definitely stand him in good stead for the mountainous stages to come.

"Ben was disappointed after the stage because he didn't have the punch at the end and he got a little boxed in on the barrier.

'Thursday's stage will suit him a lot better though, so we'll make sure he and the rest of the team conserve as much energy as possible tomorrow in preparation for that. That's 99.9% likely to come down to another bunch sprint, and our sole goal is ensuring Pete and Sergio don't lose any time on the other GC contenders.

"As for Bradley, he sustained grazing and bruising to the muscles on his right leg, which will be treated overnight and the team doctor will be reviewing his injury in the morning.

“Bradley has been carrying a mild chest infection from the weekend so he has been taking antibiotics and his condition has improved. Racing with this illness has affected him a bit, but he’s shown his commitment and has worked really well for the team.”

http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290, ... 13,00.html
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Great win by Cav, looked to be easy for him.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • TMR
    Great win by Cav, looked to be easy for him.

He said it wasn't easy with the headwind finish. He also mentioned that while it was nice to win, he wasn't getting carried away as none of his significant TdF rivals were there. He said he'd analyse his power output to determine where he was at.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Cavendish didnt bother to shave so I wont bother to post a photo of him.

This instead:
    SPTDW530-660x440.jpg
    (yes he flew from Dauphine to support the team in Suisse)
    Contador is the Greatest
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766

This instead:
    SPTDW530-660x440.jpg

Really? Having a beard is grounds for a Frenchfighter imposed forum blackout but wearing kit with your own name on it isn't? Oleg is one small step up from Vino's sartorial self-congratulation.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    D O G wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

Nice cleats, they're what I use.

Good choice, Cadel.

Interesting that it's the yellow and not the red ones
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    SPTDW530-660x440.jpg

Flew !!! It's only a few hundred km. Any UHNI can do that

Lazy bugger, if he's that keen on cycling, he should have rode
  • frenchfighter
    type:epyt wrote:
    Really? Having a beard is grounds for a Frenchfighter imposed forum blackout but wearing kit with your own name on it isn't? Oleg is one small step up from Vino's sartorial self-congratulation.

Does Brailsford know how to ride a bike?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991

This instead:
    SPTDW530-660x440.jpg

so beards bad, mullets good?
  • frenchfighter
    Beards are bad in the vast majority of circumstances.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    type:epyt wrote:

Does Brailsford know how to ride a bike?

I would think so seeing as he rode professionally in France as a young'un.

But just to prove that the man can indeed ride a bike here's a few pictures:

dave-brailsford-celebrates-tour-win-2012_2800084.jpg

dave-brailsford-sportive.jpg
    Correlation is not causation.
  • DL1987
    DL1987 Posts: 204
    He loses to Oleg in the panache/style stakes though.

1. He's wearing Adidas Sky leggings with Rapha Sky jersey
    2. Riding in the small ring
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    DL1987 wrote:
    2. Riding in the small ring

can't really blame him on that hill!