Tour de Suisse 2014 *spoilers*

Comments

• TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Wiggins is a total loser.

Well I suppose it's time to put that soapbox away then...
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    but if he is riding in support of henao why bust a gut to stay with the leaders to the line . save your energy until it`s needed later in the week.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    tim000 wrote:
    but if he is riding in support of henao why bust a gut to stay with the leaders to the line . save your energy until it`s needed later in the week.

We didn't see the first 100km, so it's hard to be so definite about what he did or didn't do, but from the coverage we saw he sat at the back of the peloton the entire time. Knees rode his heart out to get Henao and Kennaugh into position for the climb, we saw Rowe and Dombrowski do that job earlier, and all the while Brad was cruising along at the back. Again, maybe he did a load of teamwork earlier in the day, or maybe he was just riding at the back in the hope he'd feel better before the finale. As so often with Brad, who knows?
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    Wiggins is a total loser.

Wow - that was actually thought about and then typed, amazing.
  • Turfle
    He also made the letter L with his thumb and forefinger after typing it.
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    I thought Wiggins was becoming the new Lance Armstrong around here but it turns out for you guys it's Frenchfighter. :?
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • CarlosQuintana
    CarlosQuintana Posts: 14
    edited June 2014
    I'm personally going for the "not even arsed" explanation for his performances. Will be interesting what comes of Orica, great support line up if they have a serious GC guy. (No disrespect to Adam Yates)
  • Turfle
    type:epyt wrote:
    I thought Wiggins was becoming the new Lance Armstrong around here but it turns out for you guys it's Frenchfighter. :?

He just needs to grow up a bit, and stop sulking when things don't go his way.
  • Turfle
    I'm personally going for the "not even arsed" explanation for his performances. Will be interesting what comes of Orica, great support line up if they have a serious GC guy. (No disrespect to Adam Yates)

The Sky report plumps for this:

“Everybody played their part today but it was unfortunate the Bradley [Wiggins] lost time and he’s out of the general classification hunt now. The road was really twisty at the end and the fact he was at the back of the peloton meant he was on the wrong side of the late splits. It would have been nice to have him there but now he can focus on the time trial on Friday whilst helping the other guys as much as possible.”

http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290, ... 17,00.html
  • Turfle wrote:

The Sky report plumps for this:

“Everybody played their part today but it was unfortunate the Bradley [Wiggins] lost time and he’s out of the general classification hunt now. The road was really twisty at the end and the fact he was at the back of the peloton meant he was on the wrong side of the late splits. It would have been nice to have him there but now he can focus on the time trial on Friday whilst helping the other guys as much as possible.”

Thanks for that, reads very well doesn't it? Just a bit of misfortune for being at the back, for the last 100km! Sky have never been too trustworthy with their reporting! ;)
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Turfle wrote:

Ha ha. Quality.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Milton50 wrote:
    Turfle wrote:

Ha ha. Quality.

Deliberately losing GC time so nobody chases in the TT: innovative tactics.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    It is very clear that Wiggins was sole leader for the race. You dont put a relatively young racer who hasnt raced all year in the forefront of going for GC in a tough race over and above the second most (or maybe even most expensive) rider for team Sky, former TdF winner, and recent Tour of Cali similar stage race winner. If you think that would happen then you are deluded. Politics on Sky's part however - very possible.

FYI the team sky website is pr tosh unless it is is a direct quote.

Simple fact is that Wiggins, being the sulky and un-champion like lanky lad that he is, deliberately jeopardised his training for this race and is not racing to his maximum.

If he was to be consider a TdF contender, he should and could be able to smash this race to pieces with not the hardest terrain and a good and interesting field but not with the GT GC big hitters.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    “I tried an attack - I thought why not? I can either wait until I get dropped in the final or at least try something and make the best out of it," Danny Van Poppel said. But the team called me back saying it was nonsense. It was a hard stage today, not one for me.”

--

“Today was a long day, and it took a while since we did not go so fast in the beginning - it was more than five hours on the bike," Schleck said. "In the end I did not feel good; I did not have good legs anymore to try something in the last 10 kilometers. It was going hard with 50kms to go and then in the last 3-5 kilometers FDJ was going full gas and everything exploded with two kilometers to go.”

--

"It was a hard stage and the finale really insidious as well as unpredictable" said Sagan. "There were many possible winners in the leading group but not many chances to play.

"When I saw Henao and Evans attacking, I decided to stay in the firsts positions and to wait. I thought the two last corners could be the key moments of the sprint if we were together. In the last one, Albasini was the fastest taking the perfect trajectory - the only option I had was to take the external line and to open the gas on the final straight. Everything went perfect.

"After the first stage result I was pretty happy, because time trial are not my ideal races. Yesterday, I was a little disappointed because it was a good chance and I wasn't able to take it. Anyway, I had a good feeling and today I wanted to try again.

"I want to thanks my teammates for the support they gave me today - It's never easy to manage a stage like this. I'm really happy I took this success for the team and for myself, of course. As I said before the start race, Tour de Suisse is an important test for me. Having such a good feeling and taking victory, it's a big boost of confidence".
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tom3
    tom3 Posts: 287
    I just think post Cali. Db and wiggo have had a massive row over the tour and db once and for all told him to feck off, you're not riding the tour, you've lost the Suisse lead and oh, find another team.

The relationship is beyond repair.
  • Macaloon
    Wiggins told the Dutch newspaper Brabants Dagblad before the start of Monday’s stage that he would have been better prepared had he not been training on the track in recent weeks.

Torygraph
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Macaloon wrote:
    Wiggins told the Dutch newspaper Brabants Dagblad before the start of Monday’s stage that he would have been better prepared had he not been training on the track in recent weeks.

Torygraph

though the Torygraph are prone to speculating wildly on the tiniest fraction of info thesedays...Wiggo only finished the Tour of California 3 weeks ago, how has his track training in that period affected his road/stage riding preparation by that much, when he was still supposed to be in form and coming towards a planned peak heading into the TdF period, even if he thinks he wasnt going to be picked, thats the plan.

and if he's been training for a while on the track prior to the Tour of Cali, how did that work out ok, and then why did Sky pick him for Tour de Suisse anyway, if you just knew he'd spend the whole time in a sulk and his numbers were down, why not just let him carry on at the track and be in form for the Commonwealth games instead.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    awavey wrote:
    why not just let him carry on at the track and be in form for the Commonwealth games instead.
    Sky pay him to be a road cyclist.

As for form - Wiggo will win the TT with one leg. Not sure about the track but I guess with Team GB split into it's parts he looks a decent bet for Englands TP squad. If he makes it though it feels a bit harsh on the guy who misses out.

Who picks Englands squad? Do BC still make the calls for all the teams - ie Sutton? :?
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • frenchfighter
    14255836790_219d7d8750_b.jpg
    14255814129_2fa0ce2802_b.jpg
    sagsui_zps9829ea42.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Turfle
    Daz555 wrote:
    awavey wrote:
    why not just let him carry on at the track and be in form for the Commonwealth games instead.
    Sky pay him to be a road cyclist.

As for form - Wiggo will win the TT with one leg. Not sure about the track but I guess with Team GB split into it's parts he looks a decent bet for Englands TP squad. If he makes it though it feels a bit harsh on the guy who misses out.

Who picks Englands squad? Do BC still make the calls for all the teams - ie Sutton? :?

That could be Wiggo's saving grace (along with being an all-time great pursuiter!), in that Sutton has the ability to get the best out of him. IF, that is, he has the time to spend on Brad.
  • TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    Meanwhile, stage 4 has started... most interesting thing so far on the cn ticker is
    From the Cyclingnews blimp we can Lake Constance

I quite Lake Constance too.
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • NervexProf
    Sir BW pootling on the back - break of 2 ahead, peleton at 1.30 - 45kms remain.
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    Andy Schleck is getting no air time,,,,,, diabolical.
  • NervexProf
    Big Maggie slagging of Sir BW for not having a work ethic !
  • Macaloon
    NervexProf wrote:
    Sir BW pootling on the back - break of 2 ahead, peloton at 1.30 - 45kms remain.

So noble of SBW to put himself through this torture so that none of young ambitious riders on the team have to suffer.
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    edited June 2014
    Brads down crashed at the back
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Huh - well this could answer that Tour question...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    edited June 2014
    25km to go and the gap to the leaders is 54".
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
    Thought he was having a sit down protest for a minute.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.