• Tibi91
    Tibi91 Posts: 1
    edited April 2015
    *deleted*
  • bomster
    bomster Posts: 202
    ham76 wrote:
    Hi,
    I am new to this forum and am now waiting for my 1st road bike.

This is my story:-
    I ordered Endurace CF 7.0 earlier this month. I am small, 164cm with inseam of 71cm. Needless to say, XS is the frame for me. However, the stem will be changed from 80mm to 90mm and the handle bar width will be changed from 380mm to 400mm. This is because I was lucky man and was able to visit Canyon Koblenz Showroom. I have tried several bikes with different set up. They recommended few modification to the standard XS frame bike.
    My bike is expected to arrive in late April.

Congrats with your order mate! You will love it I'm sure.

Just some questions about your experience in Koblenz, I'm planning on doing the same. Did they basically do a bike fit for you? Also, did you pay in Euros?

Thanks pal.
  • Nesfyl
    Nesfyl Posts: 24
    On the question regarding Koblenz: I visited them just before purchasing my Endurace while on a business trip. No, you don't get a full bike fit. They measure your inseam and plug this into an Excel sheet, I suppose akin (or identical) to the PPS system on their website. Which suggests a frame size. You then get to swing a leg over the bike in question and pedal around their car park for a short time, a few minutes depending on how busy they are. I gave my phone to one of their employees to take a video of me to see my posture on the bike afterwards, but the test itself is too short for any meaningful conclusions. You can chat with the employees, see the bikes in the flesh, but as a test I wouldn't call it comprehensive - you can't take the bike in town or in the countryside, and you can't spend a long time on it.

You can pay by credit card there, and yes, you'll be paying in Euros (the local currency).
  • gcwebbyuk
    gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
    Managed my first Gran Fondo (130km) on my Endurace yesterday, the bike performed perfectly!
  • neilr4
    neilr4 Posts: 161
    Quick cheeky question.........

If a model i.e. Endurace with record group isn't available would it be plausible to order another model i.e. Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 PRO and when the bike arrives, strip it down and exchange the frame??
    'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE
    SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    neilr4 wrote:
    Quick cheeky question.........

If a model i.e. Endurace with record group isn't available would it be plausible to order another model i.e. Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 PRO and when the bike arrives, strip it down and exchange the frame??
    To what purpose?
  • neilr4
    neilr4 Posts: 161
    Purpose??

To get a frame/group combo that Canyon don't offer on their current line.....
    'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE
    SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    neilr4 wrote:
    Purpose??

To get a frame/group combo that Canyon don't offer on their current line.....
    Just buy the frameset and then you can purchase whichever groupset you want.
    https://www.canyon.com/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3681
  • smbm
    smbm Posts: 37
    Has anyone tried 28s in theirs yet? Reluctant to buy some in case they don't fit.

Thinking about trying tubeless Schwalbe One or some such.
  • redscouse
    redscouse Posts: 157
    got my endurace back in aug 2014.. rode it mostly in the dry till November then she went on the kitchen wall for the winter and out came the spesh, back on it at the end of February again all rides dry. Have done about 1500 miles on it and now the rear hub bearings( DT swiss spline) have gone :shock:
    riding a canyon endurace
    spesh allez
  • gcwebbyuk
    Has anyone upgraded their wheels? I have the R24 wheels and tempted to buy something lighter for an upcoming sportive - just not sure what to get...
  • ai_1
    gcwebbyuk wrote:
    Has anyone upgraded their wheels? I have the R24 wheels and tempted to buy something lighter for an upcoming sportive - just not sure what to get...
    What do the R24s weigh?
    Personally I think the impact of wheel weight is overated. Sure, light wheels are nice but I don't think the difference between 1800g wheels and 1500g wheels is particularly noticeable. And the cost is very high for something barely noticeable. I think I'd rank reliability, stiffness and aerodynamics ahead of weight when it comes to wheels...probably in that order. Of course appearance may also be a factor!
  • gcwebbyuk
    The R24s are supposed to be 1725g - and are the only road wheels I have ridden (other than an RS11 I use on the turbo trainer). So I have nothing to compare it with.

I know that when buying lighter weight wheels for my MTB, climbing and responsiveness seemed quicker, but that could be placebo making up for the money I had spent.

The other option is some hand built wheels, but again, what to go for...
  • ai_1
    gcwebbyuk wrote:
    The R24s are supposed to be 1725g - and are the only road wheels I have ridden (other than an RS11 I use on the turbo trainer). So I have nothing to compare it with.

I know that when buying lighter weight wheels for my MTB, climbing and responsiveness seemed quicker, but that could be placebo making up for the money I had spent.

The other option is some hand built wheels, but again, what to go for...
    First question: Why do you want new wheels?
    Second Question: What sort of riding do you do? (long or short, hilly or flat, cycle races/duathlons and triathlons/ Sportives/leisure&fitness?)
    Third Question: What's your budget?
    Fourth Question: Do you have specific aesthetic preferences?

If they're 1725g you're not going to reduce the weight dramatically without spending a lot of money. Most mainstream 1500g wheels were around €400-€600 per set last time I looked and that's only a weight reduction of 15% so it's not going to be world-changing.
  • gcwebbyuk
    1: not really sure, would like something lighter but more of a want than a need
    2: mixture of rides really, both hilly and flat, not racing though
    3: varied, although would like to spend less than £700 - my wife would rather I spent less than £100...
    4: not really

I have looked at DA C24, Fulcrum Racing Zero (although the nites look nicer), Mavic Kysrium Elite
  • mlgt
    mlgt Posts: 366
    redscouse wrote:
    got my endurace back in aug 2014.. rode it mostly in the dry till November then she went on the kitchen wall for the winter and out came the spesh, back on it at the end of February again all rides dry. Have done about 1500 miles on it and now the rear hub bearings( DT swiss spline) have gone :shock:

What was the outcome? Did you repair the hub bearings or get a new wheelset entirely?
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • mlgt
    gcwebbyuk wrote:
    3: varied, although would like to spend less than £700 - my wife would rather I spent less than £100...

I have looked at DA C24, Fulcrum Racing Zero (although the nites look nicer), Mavic Kysrium Elite

I opened a can of worms from a thread I started - viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13020726

I was same like you toying with the idea with an upgrade or getting something like the C24/303 and handbuilt route.
    I've accepted that in order to really make a difference is to train harder and shift more weight. Should I have excess money at some point then I would probably purchase something like a Reynolds or a 303 option.

So in the meantime Im sticking with the current R23 wheels :)
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • gcwebbyuk
    mlgt wrote:
    I've accepted that in order to really make a difference is to train harder and shift more weight. Should I have excess money at some point then I would probably purchase something like a Reynolds or a 303 option.

To be honest, I reckon I will end up doing the same and saving the money :?
  • ai_1
    mlgt wrote:
    gcwebbyuk wrote:

I opened a can of worms from a thread I started - viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13020726

I was same like you toying with the idea with an upgrade or getting something like the C24/303 and handbuilt route.

Yeah, I think it's very difficult to rationally justify a wheel upgrade unless you have specific existing problems, you are starting from a very basic existing wheelset or you're involved in competition where even very minor performance improvements could be worth a lot to you.
    If you have no existing issues or particular goals but want to change wheels anyway then you'll just have to make up some arbitrary priorities to help you choose. ;)
  • redscouse
    redscouse Posts: 157
    mlgt wrote:
    redscouse wrote:

What was the outcome? Did you repair the hub bearings or get a new wheelset entirely?

thankfully bearings replacement

had a word with my LBS "rule 5 bikes" of Brighton and Paul told me he can replace the bearing for £20/30 he has the bike now so waiting for the call that he has sorted it.fingers crossed
    riding a canyon endurace
    spesh allez
  • mlgt
    I have a set of Mavic Ksyriums which are on my old bike and the deal fell through last October so the bike and wheels have been sitting in the garage.

I do enjoy the R23, but the coasting can be quite loud. So Ive been used to a (nicer looking) different wheelset. There is no real reason to warrant Reynolds or 303 upgrade apart from wanting to be a bike tart (what I'm labelled at work)

The bearings went on mine and after much emails, Canyon offered to have a look. Hopefully be able to receive the rear wheel back sometime next week. Currently using RS81 rear wheel and its almost silent :)
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • mrtn
    mrtn Posts: 24
    mlgt wrote:
    The bearings went on mine and after much emails, Canyon offered to have a look. Hopefully be able to receive the rear wheel back sometime next week. Currently using RS81 rear wheel and its almost silent :)

Do you have a problem with R23 bearings or which ones? What happened?
  • ai_1
    mlgt wrote:
    ....I do enjoy the R23, but the coasting can be quite loud....
    Coasting? What are you talking about? Never stop pedalling unless you're going so fast downhill that the wind drowns out any other sound, oh the shame!!! :wink:
  • mlgt
    Ai_1 wrote:
    mlgt wrote:
    ....I do enjoy the R23, but the coasting can be quite loud....
    Coasting? What are you talking about? Never stop pedalling unless you're going so fast downhill that the wind drowns out any other sound, oh the shame!!! :wink:

Sadly the bike is my daily commute. If I don't coast I will run into a bus! That or replace brake pads more often :)

But over the last few years I have slowly learnt to pedal even when coasting down hill. Just not quite ready to jump onto a fixie for commuting :(
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • I think the bearings on my rear R23 wheel have gone too (after only 700Kms). When I contacted Canyon UK a few months ago, they said to send them a video showing the play in the wheel, and then they might take them back! Haven't got round to it yet...
  • vagueyboy
    vagueyboy Posts: 5
    Like many others I have been reading this thread with interest, having a CF 9.0 Endurance on order (Delivery week 27)
    I keyed my measurements into the web PPS (and it told me I have short legs compared to the average).

My Measurements are as follows:
    My PPS data:
    Body height: 180cm
    Inseam: 80cm
    Shoulder width: 46cm
    Arm length: 61cm
    Torso length: 63cm

Now it came out as a small frame (Which I have ordered) but reading the many posts I wonder if I should have gone for a medium?

New to this buying bikes lark so any guidance or thoughts would be apreciated.
  • You may find the S a bit small, but you may find the M too big.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • vagueyboy
    Thanks: and I guess that is my concern. I have tried to phone Canyon and sent them an email to see what they think..
  • mlgt
    Im almost the same as you and ordered a M, this was based on my old bike for which I had a bike fit. I contacted the fitter and asked for advice. At the same time I looked at all the dimensions and the medium basically (numerically) was better. More pro's than cons.

The items I changed were the handlebars to 44 and stem to 110. What I couldn't change were the cranks length. I had a 165 Sram, but the Endurace came with 172. You have plenty of scope to tinker with. Let us know how it all goes.
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • vagueyboy
    Hi there, I had a discussion with bike science who sat me on one of thier bikes and measured me and confirmed what you have just stated: I need a medium and a 120 stem.
    I have spoken with canyon who have amended my order, and when it arrives I am back to bike Science for a proper fitting..
    Can't wait!