Dauphine *spoilers*

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    CylingTips Dauphine gallery. (No mutants)

CORVOS_00023356-019.jpg
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    ddraver wrote:
    You re aware that Talansky won arent you?

No I thought Jesus won :lol:
  • tuneskyline
    Macaloon wrote:
    And who just won this race? and who helped him? Jesus. Froome got beat. It's simple. He had a couple of bad stages in the tour last year remember? he lost some time but it did not matter. He had no TT advantage this time. so a bad day was always going to cost him and Contador coming into form was always going to defeat him and that proved to be the case. Froome is a great rider but he cannot adapt to Contador's or anyones attacks outside of the Sky plan. Talansky was super today and super yesterday and so was Ryder and Garmin were very smart. If you look at my early post's you will see how highly I rate Ryder. He's very aggressive and having him ride for Talansky was very smart. Did you see Talanksy ride with the Sky train yesterday, what does that tell you? I think you are seriously underestimating his victory and to be honest it seems like a lot of the Sky fans are not very gracious losers. Froome got beat he has been beaten before he will get beat again.

Accusing Froome of formulaic riding is absurd. And don't be a big wean. All that's being suggested is that Froome's crash had enough of an impact for Kelderman (after a huge Giro) and Hejsdal to beat hnim as well as Contador. Winning the Tour seems to make ridiculous demands on riders: Evans, Wiggins, and now perhaps Froome showing serious wear and tear.

I also think there's a fair chance that Froome suffered a bit for the stage 2 efforts. They're not supposed to be at 100% yet. It was great to see Contador in good enough shape to take full advantage. It's amazing that Garmin pulled that move off to deny him victory.

Froome said many times after a stage that they planned to attack at a certain point. You could see the other day that they planned to attack at the 1km to go banner but Contador was to strong and Froome could not reel him back as he thought he would. Your comments are not relevant about K & H as they got in a breakaway and Ryder came back to aid Talansky. Ryder In my view when in shape can climb as well as Froome.
    I don't know what a wean is. Lets just agree that I am right :lol:
  • Macaloon
    Lets just agree that I am right :lol:

Agreed.
  • tuneskyline
    Macaloon wrote:
    Lets just agree that I am right :lol:

Agreed.

You a very nice man/lady and now I am riddled with guilt. So I Change my opinon and retract my last post and agree with your original response...
    Cheers
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    The_Boy wrote:
    Porte looks fine to me, fwiw. He doesn't have to be in Tour winning form to be able to burn off most of the other doms.

If I were Contador I'd still be a bit worried about the relative strength of the teams. I know they didn't bring their a team, but there's a lot if room for improvement, and the tour isn't that far away.

Not really. Sky have been awful all year. Magically they have done a good job this race. Porte ditto - looked average all year then puts in two good rides.

Dont worry about Tinkoff - they have done very well all year and their Dauphine squad is likely a third as good as their Tour squad will be. Sky bought their Tour team (more or less).

You really are a tool. What do you mean by "magically"?
  • frenchfighter
    Talansky really isn't photogenic is he. Struggling to find some saveable photos.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Talansky.jpg

I never get tired of the unpredictability of sport. It sounded like a brilliant race to the end.
  • frenchfighter
    Ha good effort. Need one from the race without a dirty white t shirt showing and preferably without a stupid POC helmet!

A bit like this...which I am about to avi
    contador.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I know you're all dying to know my opinion, I think Porte is getting there but not looking strong, Nieve looks a great this year and Froome despite the fall form looks fantastic but worryingly for him so does Contador. It also showed there are exciting riders on the fringe of something so the deck can shuffle at any time. Fun stuff to look forward to.
  • frenchfighter
    BqGGeoUCAAAELVM.jpg

tumblr_n77ypfesNA1qdw1kro1_1280.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    It's like Les Revenants. With team buses.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    iainf72 wrote:
    It's like Les Revenants. With team buses.
    Exactly what I thought! When IS the second series coming to the UK?
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Brilliant. Great win for Mr T. Ryder was magnificent today and yesterday, he helped blow this race apart. Ryder proves he is one of the top climbers. Mr T followed the Sky train yesterday and beat Froome,,,amazing performance.
    Froome will be better when the tour starts but without a TT gap I doubt he can win. He will lose time against the best climbers on form. Yesterday he went at 1k which may have been the plan but up against the very best climbers he has to try and respond to attacks and as yesterday showed he cannot do it every day and also previous tours he has lost time to climbers.

King Contador, without doubt the most exciting rider I have seen. He makes watching cycling addictive. Just incredible and he just gets stronger. His only mistake was worrying about Froome today but we would not have got the fantastic spectacle of him going past rider after rider. Great to see him demolish the Sky train yesterday and remind us how exciting cycling can be. Contador rode alone today. No team just pure racing instinct. Getting back to his best and just awesome. Nearly as good as Andy Schleck.
    really? Did you not see the TT stage 1 and also stage 2 where he rode them all off his wheel?

What is your point? 8 seconds TT :roll: and he did not ride Contador off his back wheel. I posted that Contador will get stronger and he did. He's simply to good right now. Jesus your a bad loser aren't you?
    Contador has been the best GT rider all season, get over it.
    Do you know anything about cycling?
    1) I am not Froome fan but I realise 8 seconds ahead in a short TT is a significant distance ( you should know this if you have any cycling knowledge.
    2) Although IMHO Froome did not ride the best tactics on stage 2 towing then finishing of Bertie at the end, he was clearly the strongest that day, dropping all the others at will and Bertie just about hanging in.
    3) Obviously the crash had effect on Froome as he was struggling to hold his team mates wheels. Do you really think it was bad form to loose so much time to people he was dropping so easily before the crash, come on get real.
    4) Amazing by Ryder (questioanalble past) demolishing the Sky train? lol you should be a comedian, the Sky train was in first gear trying to tow a below par and struggling Froome to limit his losses.
    5) Contador too good? Oh right hang on, he did not win as he was faffing about watching the wrong rider (Froome) and was content to sit with him, he did not have the sense to go with Nibali when he attacked as he still thought Froome would pull it back and when he saw the Sky riders drop back he must have then realised he made huge mistake, great instinct that. Froome and Bertie believe all the hype, I hope someone like VDB nips in and wins the TDF.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,956
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tuneskyline
    Brilliant. Great win for Mr T. Ryder was magnificent today and yesterday, he helped blow this race apart. Ryder proves he is one of the top climbers. Mr T followed the Sky train yesterday and beat Froome,,,amazing performance.
    Froome will be better when the tour starts but without a TT gap I doubt he can win. He will lose time against the best climbers on form. Yesterday he went at 1k which may have been the plan but up against the very best climbers he has to try and respond to attacks and as yesterday showed he cannot do it every day and also previous tours he has lost time to climbers.

King Contador, without doubt the most exciting rider I have seen. He makes watching cycling addictive. Just incredible and he just gets stronger. His only mistake was worrying about Froome today but we would not have got the fantastic spectacle of him going past rider after rider. Great to see him demolish the Sky train yesterday and remind us how exciting cycling can be. Contador rode alone today. No team just pure racing instinct. Getting back to his best and just awesome. Nearly as good as Andy Schleck.
    really? Did you not see the TT stage 1 and also stage 2 where he rode them all off his wheel?

What is your point? 8 seconds TT :roll: and he did not ride Contador off his back wheel. I posted that Contador will get stronger and he did. He's simply to good right now. Jesus your a bad loser aren't you?
    Contador has been the best GT rider all season, get over it.
    1) I am not Froome fan but I realise 8 seconds ahead in a short TT is a significant distance ( you should know this if you have any cycling knowledge.
    2) Although IMHO Froome did not ride the best tactics on stage 2 towing then finishing of Bertie at the end, he was clearly the strongest that day, dropping all the others at will and Bertie just about hanging in.
    3) Obviously the crash had effect on Froome as he was struggling to hold his team mates wheels. Do you really think it was bad form to loose so much time to people he was dropping so easily before the crash, come on get real.
    4) Amazing by Ryder (questioanalble past) demolishing the Sky train? lol you should be a comedian, the Sky train was in first gear trying to tow a below par and struggling Froome to limit his losses.
    5) Contador too good? Oh right hang on, he did not win as he was faffing about watching the wrong rider (Froome) and was content to sit with him, he did not have the sense to go with Nibali when he attacked as he still thought Froome would pull it back and when he saw the Sky riders drop back he must have then realised he made huge mistake, great instinct that. Froome and Bertie believe all the hype, I hope someone like VDB nips in and wins the TDF.

1) 8 seconds is a massive gap :lol:

2) He did not drop Bertie :lol:

3) Obviously he was hurt so bad that the Sky train nearly blew everyone away up to Finhaut-Emosson where with 1km to go Porte pulls over and Froome attacks and try's to catch Contador :wink:

4) Show me exactly where I said Ryder demolised the Sky train ?

5) Contador was to good for Froome in this race. Contador has won quite a few big races you know or do you know anything about cycling?

:lol:
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Don't bite, welshman.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    ThomThom wrote:
    Don't bite, welshman.

+1
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Cheers TWH, great shots on that website.
  • Macaloon
    FocusZing wrote:

It's ravishing. Worst thing to happen in cycling this season, after Quintana running away from the Tour of course, is the Anti-Mutant Front's Shane Stokes' byline appearing on CyclingTips :cry:
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    FocusZing wrote:

indeed. we all talk about the sky mountain train - what I don't get is the desire they have to want to control the stage from start to finish
  • tuneskyline
    ThomThom wrote:
    Don't bite, welshman.

I have no desire to bite a Welshman.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    ThomThom wrote:
    Don't bite, welshman.

I have no desire to bite a Welshman.

welsh rarebit is nice... its not just cheese on toast you know.. there's Welsh stuff as well
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Milton50 wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    Don't bite, welshman.

+1

+2 Don't bite, just report to Mods
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746

OK it's easy to get sucked into overstating the case to make a point but...
    1 - It's not a huge gap, yes it's a gap and you'd rather have it go for you than against but it's the kind of gap that could swing the other way day to day.
    2 - Agree Froome did more work but for me Froome looked relatively comfortable staying with him - OK so he didn't have the strength to come round him at the finish but he never looked like being dropped either. Froome the stronger man but not massively so.
    3 - Disagree that this is obvious. It's possible but it's equally possible Froome was just losing form as the week went on. Immediately after the crash he didn't seem to be too badly hurt and his form wasn't as bad the day after as on the last day.
    4 - Agree that the Sky train were waiting for Froome but at the same time they were losing riders so that suggests they weren't all finding it easy even if they were waiting for Froome.
    5 - With hindsight Froome should have gone earlier but it was an understandable decision given that Sky still had several domestiques and he must have expected them to at least keep Froome in contention to win the race.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,206
    3 - Disagree that this is obvious. It's possible but it's equally possible Froome was just losing form as the week went on. Immediately after the crash he didn't seem to be too badly hurt and his form wasn't as bad the day after as on the last day.

Muscle soreness - either from a crash or going beyond your normal limits, running a marathon say - are usually worst the 2nd day after the event. Froome's condition in the last two stages is consistent with this.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    1 - It's not a huge gap, yes it's a gap and you'd rather have it go for you than against but it's the kind of gap that could swing the other way day to day.
    I think the point about the 8 secs over a fairly technical TT is how it translates into a 54km TT in the TdF which is very lumpy but not very technical. The answer will give Contador some serious cause for concern.

He knows he will need a significant lead come that final TT or Froome will nick yellow on the last day.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    r0bh wrote:

Muscle soreness - either from a crash or going beyond your normal limits, running a marathon say - are usually worst the 2nd day after the event. Froome's condition in the last two stages is consistent with this.

Put it this way, it is unusual for a rider to suffer like that 2 days after a crash unless they have a specific injury that prevents them putting full effort in. I don't think the kind of stiffness/soreness you refer to would have caused that especially once warmed up on the bike.

It may be that he did have an injury to the ribs or something that prevented him giving everything which is why I say it's possible the crash was the cause but it's also consistent with growing fatigue during a stage race which to me seems the more obvious answer.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • epc06
    epc06 Posts: 214
    Daz555 wrote:
    I think the point about the 8 secs over a fairly technical TT is how it translates into a 54km TT in the TdF which is very lumpy but not very technical. The answer will give Contador some serious cause for concern.

He knows he will need a significant lead come that final TT or Froome will nick yellow on the last day.

I would agree if the TT was early on. As it is right at the end of the Tour whoever is the dominant rider of the 2 by that time will win it...thats if the 2 of them are still involved