Dauphine *spoilers*

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:
    With the benefit of hindsight, probably Contador's biggest 'mistake' was to take the lead yesterday. His team were clearly too weak to contain the early break, while had it still been Sky doing it he probably wouldn't have had so much to catch up.

I thought that too. And I suspect if Froome has been 100% today they would've managed to work him over.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    iainf72 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    With the benefit of hindsight, probably Contador's biggest 'mistake' was to take the lead yesterday. His team were clearly too weak to contain the early break, while had it still been Sky doing it he probably wouldn't have had so much to catch up.

I thought that too. And I suspect if Froome has been 100% today they would've managed to work him over.

Dont be too sure. Contador has been racing more than most the Sky squad put together. Can you explain how Sky would work Contador over?

Contador wouldnt care about any Sky rider bar Froome - if he goes Contador is on the wheel with no problems. If somehow Froome goes and there are five Sky riders blocking Froome, Contador will just go round them and catch Froome easily. Then Contador will ride Froome's wheel, let him tire himself, then attack and gap him. You dont lose a packet like today because of a soft crash two days ago.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    edited June 2014
    Regarding Froome’s tweet, is Nieve especially small?

5'7, 61kg at last count

Sky have him listed 5'8, 67kg
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    No you lose it because of a hard crash...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Regarding Froome’s tweet, is Nieve especially small?

According to my Dutch Procyling TDF guide he's 1.73 1cm taller than Titchy Richie and 4cm taller than Heano Sr. but then I wouldn't trust that as gospel they said that only 1 British rider had ever won the Tour.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • frenchfighter
    “I was completely blocked in my thighs and I wasn’t able to use the same muscles as normal when there were accelerations,” Froome said. “Alberto has shown a very good level this week but I think that we can take a lot of positives out of it too. I won two stages, Mikel won one and we held the yellow jersey for six days.”

Froome often uses first names. More so than other riders.

“This Critérium du Dauphiné ends well," he said. "I really thank all my teammates without whom nothing would have been possible. They have done a great job throughout the week.

"Alexis Gougeard, neo-professional , provided a huge work. I saw many young riders able to do great performances but they are not many with a talent like him. He is a future champion.

"And then, there was Jean-Christophe (Péraud), a great rider who gave everything he could today. He set a crazy pace on all climbs. If he is worried about his feelings, I can tell you that he is in a good shape and it bodes well for the Tour de France.

"I would really have liked to win this stage to offer it to my teammates after the work they have done for me. Unfortunately, Nieve won, that’s sport. His leaders were behind him and he didn't need to work in the breakaway.

"Our team made its presence felt in the race, more than Lotto and Garmin even though I was not the rider in the best position overall. We rode as a big team and it’s a huge source of pride for us.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    2014061550_BP1_9558.jpg

2014061526_BP2_4000.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Col du Beal
    2014:13,6 km@6,6%---33:20---average speed 24.48 km/h(Froome-Contador)
    Montée de Finhaut-Émosson
    2014:10,4 km@8,4%---30:15---average speed 20.63 km/h(Alberto Contador)
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    Shame Garmin's win is soured by Ryder's involvement.

They have some very good talent but need to shake off the few duplicitous dopers still hanging around.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • frenchfighter
    dauphine14st8_contador.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    And in other news, I bought Froome's book to read while camping. It is boring. Starts when he's a kid and takes 4 chapters or so to get to anything remotely interesting. Hoping for better to come.
  • TMR
    Great photos as always FF. Thanks.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    iainf72 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Dont be too sure. Contador has been racing more than most the Sky squad put together. Can you explain how Sky would work Contador over?

Contador wouldnt care about any Sky rider bar Froome - if he goes Contador is on the wheel with no problems. If somehow Froome goes and there are five Sky riders blocking Froome, Contador will just go round them and catch Froome easily. Then Contador will ride Froome's wheel, let him tire himself, then attack and gap him. You dont lose a packet like today because of a soft crash two days ago.
    Like stage 2?
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Nice tweet from Contador.
    Finally we couldn't win,but I have rarely enjoyed on the bike like today.Thanks to everyone,you are GREAT!
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    Brilliant. Great win for Mr T. Ryder was magnificent today and yesterday, he helped blow this race apart. Ryder proves he is one of the top climbers. Mr T followed the Sky train yesterday and beat Froome,,,amazing performance.
    Froome will be better when the tour starts but without a TT gap I doubt he can win. He will lose time against the best climbers on form. Yesterday he went at 1k which may have been the plan but up against the very best climbers he has to try and respond to attacks and as yesterday showed he cannot do it every day and also previous tours he has lost time to climbers.

King Contador, without doubt the most exciting rider I have seen. He makes watching cycling addictive. Just incredible and he just gets stronger. His only mistake was worrying about Froome today but we would not have got the fantastic spectacle of him going past rider after rider. Great to see him demolish the Sky train yesterday and remind us how exciting cycling can be. Contador rode alone today. No team just pure racing instinct. Getting back to his best and just awesome. Nearly as good as Andy Schleck.
    really? Did you not see the TT stage 1 and also stage 2 where he rode them all off his wheel?

What is your point? 8 seconds TT :roll: and he did not ride Contador off his back wheel. I posted that Contador will get stronger and he did. He's simply to good right now. Jesus your a bad loser aren't you?
    Contador has been the best GT rider all season, get over it.
  • classic stage - keep that for the dark winter nights

Ag2R worked hard - good work from Talansky and J V de B
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    iainf72 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

The Sky train road hard yesterday and all they have to show for it is a spent team leader. Froome was Fu%%ed today, nothing to do with his injury. In last years tour he had a bad day or 2 but he has no TT time gap or weak opposition to save him this time. Talansky and Contador were to good on merit. Froome was beaten by better riders not a crash. Awesome.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Serious swingers on Vaughters too, approving the risk, when safe play for a mid-table team was to protect their GC position. Tremendous stuff.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,956
    Was any of the good stuff televised? - a lot seemed to have happened before ES went live
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,172
    Was any of the good stuff televised? - a lot seemed to have happened before ES went live
    Yes, plenty of it.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,172
    Delete
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    type:epyt wrote:
    Shame Garmin's win is soured by Ryder's involvement.

They have some very good talent but need to shake off the few duplicitous dopers still hanging around.

Well there are still quite a few of them, especially in team cars. Would you recommend a ban?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,901
    All i'll say is this.

Cycling is not a good sport to follow when you're doing a full time job c.60-80hrs a week.

Gutted I've missed the majority of this race.
  • TMR
    All i'll say is this.

Cycling is not a good sport to follow when you're doing a full time job c.60-80hrs a week.

Cycle Torrents is your friend :wink:
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Contador possibly the most exciting rider in the world. Nuff said.
  • TMR

Nice. I like him, Seems like a stand up guy.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,956
    All i'll say is this.

Was just reflecting on that.
    No insights to offer though.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    All i'll say is this.

Well, you know the solution :wink: (priorities man, priorities)