Dauphine *spoilers*

Comments

• tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    Brilliant. Great win for Mr T. Ryder was magnificent today and yesterday, he helped blow this race apart. Ryder proves he is one of the top climbers. Mr T followed the Sky train yesterday and beat Froome,,,amazing performance.
    Froome will be better when the tour starts but without a TT gap I doubt he can win. He will lose time against the best climbers on form. Yesterday he went at 1k which may have been the plan but up against the very best climbers he has to try and respond to attacks and as yesterday showed he cannot do it every day and also previous tours he has lost time to climbers.

King Contador, without doubt the most exciting rider I have seen. He makes watching cycling addictive. Just incredible and he just gets stronger. His only mistake was worrying about Froome today but we would not have got the fantastic spectacle of him going past rider after rider. Great to see him demolish the Sky train yesterday and remind us how exciting cycling can be. Contador rode alone today. No team just pure racing instinct. Getting back to his best and just awesome. Nearly as good as Andy Schleck.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,891
    OTL PAULINHO SérgioTinkoff-Saxo-
    OTL VOROBYEV AntonTeam Katusha -
    OTL DÉMARE ArnaudFDJ.fr -
    OTL PIRES BrunoTinkoff-Saxo-
    OTL BELTRAN EdwardTinkoff-Saxo-

Suxo-Tinkoff? :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Well that was all very different wasn't it!

Contador ballsing things up, then having to go hell for leather when he realised he may have lost it. Had to go into the red too early as the time gap pretty much stayed constant for the final climb.

Great tactics from Garmin and great riding by Ryder and Talansky.

Interesting change in tactics from Sky. Nice to see them try something different even if it didn't work. Then good to see them/Nieve at least try and salvage the stage win. At least it shows they will have a plan B of stages if things don't work.
    Froome cracking, will be lots of uncertainty for the next few weeks. Just a bad day or not got the form he needs (although 2 stages earlier in the race suggests it's possibly not poor form).

Mega ride from Adam Yates. He's the real deal.

VDB looking like he's back in good form.

Nibali giving it a go even if he clearly isn't on it.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    A great week's racing and despite my misgivings about today's stage it was an excellent conclusion.

Especially good to see so many young riders featuring

However the way Contador single handedly pulled back 90 seconds on a very strong group doesn't bode well for a competitive GC at the TdF. Hopefully there will be some good breakaways to liven up some of the racing as I don't think Froome is any where near Contador's level and unfortunately I don't see Nibali getting the improvements he needs in the next 4 weeks.

Whilst some of the new young guns might challenge briefly, a 3 week race is a very different beast to a 1 week race.

I suspect the TdF GC will be over bar the shouting after the Alps as on the basis of this week and with just the one TT in this edition's parcours Contador will be picking up time for fun up until then
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746

Or maybe Saxo Timeoff
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Stuck at work today, can't wait to watch it!!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    We've been camping since Thursday, with very sporadic mobile data. I understand AC took the jersey from CF? What page of this thread does that stage coverage start on? Anyone know?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Best bike race in quite a while I'd say.

Nice to see Sky try something a bit different, good to see Contador trying to do what he needed to do and great to see Talansky mugging everyone.

Unfortunate that Froome decked it, but then that's part of racing and it shouldn't take anything away from a great win.

Also, what a fantastic route - Brilliantly designed. Not like that turd in Paris-Nice.

A solid 4/10 :P

Ok, not really, 8.5/10.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Give me more
    Give me more Posts: 487
    edited June 2014
    TMR wrote:
    We've been camping since Thursday, with very sporadic mobile data. I understand AC took the jersey from CF? What page of this thread does that stage coverage start on? Anyone know?

About here

viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12971933&start=840
    iainf72 wrote:
    A solid 4/10 :P

:mrgreen:
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    TMR wrote:

Good read from P53 http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12971933&start=1040
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • TMR
    Thanks Gents.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Always seem to miss stages that turn out to be really good :? Thanks as always for the commentary in here everyone though :)
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Talansky is nicknamed the bulldog. Showed some serious spirit today.
    20140615242_BP2_4151.jpg
    DIR_IMG.jpg

20140615188_BP1_0443.jpg
    20140615200_BP1_0484.jpg
    20140615194_BP1_0464.jpg

20140615116_BP1_0101.jpg
    20140615110_BP1_0081.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    dsoutar wrote:

Or maybe Saxo Timeoff

Stinkoff

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Froome on Twitter:
    Would have loved to have been more competitive in the final but that crash took it's toll on me. Onwards & upwards, 20 days to go

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • frenchfighter
    @Vaughters · 2h
    Kudos to @Geertvanbondt for coming up with such a great tactical play. And to Ryder Hesjedal for turning himself inside out for his team.
    @Vaughters · 4h
    Looks like @andrewtalansky is turning the Dauphine on end this AM. Love that. Kid has balls the size of grapefruit grown in Chernobyl.

@chrisfroome · 4m
    Would have loved to have been more competitive in the final but that crash took it's toll on me. Onwards & upwards, 20 days to go
    @chrisfroome · 8m
    Amazing team performance this week capped off with @NieveMikel winning today's stage in style. Small guy, big heart!!

Nothing from The Hound today.

@olegtinkov · 1h
    Pity,yes. But guys don't get angry. Alberto dropped Froome, had good training. And on Le Tour we will have different and stronger team.

@GeraintThomas86 14 mins
    Enjoyed that today, some race!! Ok, GC didn't happen... But made up for Frosty aka @NieveMikel !! Some boy

@millarmind 1 hr
    Well, that was a good bike race. @andrewtalansky = The Right Stuff. @ryder_hesjedal once again proves he can fuck a race up single-handidly.

@ChristianVDV 2 hrs
    Congrats @andrewtalansky and @Ride_Argyle for having the balls, brains and legs (in that order) to pull today off.

@mickrogers 2 hrs
    What a stage. Good try @albertocontador and well deserved overall win by @andrewtalansky
    Contador is the Greatest
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Brilliant. Great win for Mr T. Ryder was magnificent today and yesterday, he helped blow this race apart. Ryder proves he is one of the top climbers. Mr T followed the Sky train yesterday and beat Froome,,,amazing performance.
    Froome will be better when the tour starts but without a TT gap I doubt he can win. He will lose time against the best climbers on form. Yesterday he went at 1k which may have been the plan but up against the very best climbers he has to try and respond to attacks and as yesterday showed he cannot do it every day and also previous tours he has lost time to climbers.

King Contador, without doubt the most exciting rider I have seen. He makes watching cycling addictive. Just incredible and he just gets stronger. His only mistake was worrying about Froome today but we would not have got the fantastic spectacle of him going past rider after rider. Great to see him demolish the Sky train yesterday and remind us how exciting cycling can be. Contador rode alone today. No team just pure racing instinct. Getting back to his best and just awesome. Nearly as good as Andy Schleck.
    really? Did you not see the TT stage 1 and also stage 2 where he rode them all off his wheel?
  • frenchfighter
    Top 20:
    Final General Classification
    USA 1 TALANSKY, Andrew (GARMIN SHARP) 31:08:08 +2 places
    ESP 2 CONTADOR VELASCO, Alberto (TINKOFF-SAXO) + 27 -1
    BEL 3 VAN DEN BROECK, Jurgen (LOTTO BELISOL) + 35 +2
    NED 4 KELDERMAN, Wilco (BELKIN) + 43 unch
    FRA 5 BARDET, Romain (AG2R LA MONDIALE) + 1:20 +2
    GBR 6 YATES, Adam (ORICA GreenEDGE) + 2:05 +4
    ITA 7 NIBALI, Vincenzo (ASTANA) + 2:12 -1
    ESP 8 NIEVE ITURALDE, Mikel (SKY) + 2:59 +6
    ESP 9 NAVARRO GARCIA, Daniel (COFIDIS, SOLUTIONS CREDITS) + 3:04 +3
    DEN 10 FUGLSANG, Jakob (ASTANA) + 3:17 -1
    CZE 11 KONIG, Leopold (NETAPP - ENDURA) + 4:03 unch
    GBR 12 FROOME, Christopher (SKY) + 4:25 -10
    USA 13 VAN GARDEREN, Tejay (BMC RACING) + 5:11 +7
    SUI 14 REICHENBACH, Sébastien (IAM CYCLING) + 6:31 -6
    FRA 15 GADRET, John (MOVISTAR) + 6:33 +7
    RUS 16 TROFIMOV, Yury (KATUSHA) + 7:02 +5
    EST 17 KANGERT, Tanel (ASTANA) + 8:37 -1
    COL 18 ATAPUMA HURTADO, Darwin (BMC RACING) + 8:43 +5
    ESP 19 MORENO FERNANDEZ, Daniel (KATUSHA) + 9:07 -2
    BEL 20 BAKELANTS, Jan (OMEGA PHARMA - QUICK-STEP) + 9:20 +5
    Contador is the Greatest
  • oldwelshman
    dsoutar wrote:
    A great week's racing and despite my misgivings about today's stage it was an excellent conclusion.

Especially good to see so many young riders featuring

However the way Contador single handedly pulled back 90 seconds on a very strong group doesn't bode well for a competitive GC at the TdF. Hopefully there will be some good breakaways to liven up some of the racing as I don't think Froome is any where near Contador's level and unfortunately I don't see Nibali getting the improvements he needs in the next 4 weeks.

Whilst some of the new young guns might challenge briefly, a 3 week race is a very different beast to a 1 week race.

I suspect the TdF GC will be over bar the shouting after the Alps as on the basis of this week and with just the one TT in this edition's parcours Contador will be picking up time for fun up until then
    Another classic. If he is no where near Bertie how come he beat him easily in the Stage 1 TT and more convincingly (even though he rode stupidly) on stage 2?
    I am no fan of Froome but he obviously suffered from the crash.
    In stae 2 he rode them all of his wheel easily apart from Bertie, so why do you think he even struggled to hold his team mates wheels last two days.
    I hope VDB and a coupl of others make the TDF more than the 2 horse race it may be.
  • frenchfighter
    Kind of crazy though that at 35km the gap was 1min and Wilco was with Contador group. When Contador attacked the gap was 2.35. Then Contador ended 1.15 down. Wilco finished almost 45secs ahead of Contador. Not sure what Contador was up to but it made it more interesting for the fans, was a great test for him and showed he is as good as I think he is. He definitely lost the jersey of his own accord though.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • oldwelshman
    Kind of crazy though that at 35km the gap was 1min and Wilco was with Contador group. When Contador attacked the gap was 2.35. Then Contador ended 1.15 down. Wilco finished almost 45secs ahead of Contador. Not sure what Contador was up to but it made it more interesting for the fans, was a great test for him and showed he is as good as I think he is. He definitely lost the jersey of his own accord though.
    :D For once we agree lol I think Bertie read too much into sky having 3 riders up the road, then when 2 dropped back he realised Froome was struggling, he should still have gone with Nibs,
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    Contador was 'Cancellara'd' by Froome/Sky (if I can't win I'm not gonna help you win).

AC obviously had decent legs but no head or team to nail the win.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • frenchfighter
    Worth noting Astana took the team classification.

“It was very early in the stage that Nieve, Talansky and Van den Broeck attacked with some others. Just after the first climb. I could have followed them, but I watched Contador and he waited,” said Kelderman.

“On the penultimate climb, Froome and Contador kept looking at each other and so I decided to attack Nibali and Fuglsang. Unfortunately, I just couldn’t bridge to the leaders. They kept me hanging at around twenty seconds. That’s unlucky because otherwise I could have finished third overall, ahead of Van den Broeck. Anyway, I won the white jersey and I’m very happy with that.”

Sports Director Erik Dekker was at a loss for words afterwards.

“As a cycling fan, I’m speechless about today's stage. It was an amazing fight.

"We have achieved all our goals this week. Wilco claimed a second, third and fifth place. Today, he ends up fourth overall and in the white jersey."
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,172
    With the benefit of hindsight, probably Contador's biggest 'mistake' was to take the lead yesterday. His team were clearly too weak to contain the early break, while had it still been Sky doing it he probably wouldn't have had so much to catch up.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tonyf34
    tonyf34 Posts: 194
    tonyf34 wrote:
    Clearly there's a few here who have no idea whatsoever with regard to the effects a crash such that Froome had yesterday and its effects on him today :?
    If you've ever crashed pretty hard and had to ride on in high temperatures then backing that up the next day in a professional competition scenario at pretty much full tilt you are not going to perform at 100%

Not only would the crash have affected him physiologically, pschologically it is very hard too, you've aches & pains to try to ignore throughout, that bit of your body that is essential for bike riding has being damaged and at this level, at this intensity even a minor injury is enough to make a difference so to say this wouldn't have effected Froome is an absolute nonsense.
    How much did it cost him, who knows,

Well I think you are speculating. We've seen riders crash and carry on at their top level the next day and we've seen riders been affected by it - either could have been the case here. Yes I've crashed and yes I've had to carry on riding and ridden the next day - fwiw I think very often the kind of stiffness you experience from a crash affects you more off the bike than during a race but whether that was the case here neither of us know.

No, no speculation at all, it's common sense and pretty obvious tbh that he was going to effected by the crash.
    I've played rugby to a decent level and know what it's like to try go for a hard ride the day after a game compared to when I haven't played & being banged around. Going by the comments from CF himself after the race and the way he struggled today I'd say I was bang on the money.

Finely tuned professional athletes at the top of their game ARE effected by incidents such as that befell Froome (I'm not saying he would have won in any case) & the fact that he hasn't got any meat on him has made a crash harder for his body to take than a heavier build rider whom is more likely to absorb the shock that little bit better.

There was no rocket science behind my statement, just a bit of common sense and experience of seeing pro athletes (from all sports) being effected by stuff that mere mortals can sometimes get away with in everyday life because we aren't at the edge of human physical capabilities and they are often very fragile because of that.
  • frenchfighter
    Mr Millar did not even finish the stage. Going out with a fizzle.

Scroll down the page for a good summary of the key events:
    http://www.cyclingquotes.com/news/talan ... y_for_sky/
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    RichN95 wrote:
    With the benefit of hindsight, probably Contador's biggest 'mistake' was to take the lead yesterday. His team were clearly too weak to contain the early break, while had it still been Sky doing it he probably wouldn't have had so much to catch up.

Hmm well not really I suppose. All he had to do was go with Nibs and Wilco rather than trackstand with Froome al la Andy Schleck: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2KOQrYYL_k
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,172
    RichN95 wrote:

Hmm well not really I suppose. All he had to do was go with Nibs and Wilco rather than trackstand with Froome al la Andy Schleck: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2KOQrYYL_k
    Well there's that as well, of course.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TMR
    I am really pleased with the way this Dauphine has concluded. I am super pleased with the form of Contador and I will be supporting him for GC in the TdF. I'm pleased Garmin won, a small Team in the grand scheme of things and always there or thereabouts and SKY, well, I'll be diplomatic and say that the TdF has been thrown wide open. They need to get their act together; hardly the dominating display we have come to expect.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    TMR wrote:
    I am really pleased with the way this Dauphine has concluded. I am super pleased with the form of Contador and I will be supporting him for GC in the TdF. I'm pleased Garmin won, a small Team in the grand scheme of things and always there or thereabouts and SKY, well, I'll be diplomatic and say that the TdF has been thrown wide open. They need to get their act together; hardly the dominating display we have come to expect.

What?

They were utterly dominating proceedings until Froome fell. Even yesterday it was noteable how many of them there were in the final vs everyone else.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.