Giro 2014 - Stage 16: Val Martello *Spoilers*

Comments

• Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Saw the first hour in my lunch break and only just caught up. All I can say is Wow!

Ryder rode his socks off but Quintana was awesome, wish I rode like that when I had a cold!

This is one of those stages that will go down in the books, epic conditions and a great battle where the leaders jersey was lost.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    P.S Cataldo's ride was great
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Turfle wrote:
    Monfort lost 11 minutes, and moved up 3 places to 14th!

Those were some impressive time gaps today.

Check where Swift finished.

Strava is not Zen.
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    A day for riders with balls... now we know Quintana has balls, unlike previously thought... :roll:

I thought the same about Quintana. He stepped up today and rode the last climb without to much help. I do think there could still be a twist or three. Ryder and Rolland look very perky and I can see them attacking at every chance they get. I think Dan Martin could have done really well in this tour.
  • Just thinking about the red flags - the Giro has used these red flags on motorbikes for years (if you look back at some film footage from the 70's classics like La Course en Tete, Greatest Show on Earth, etc, for instance). Often they're used in a somewhat ambiguous way in that a lead motorbike is actually getting 'too close' and slowing riders down at dangerous junctures (micro-neutralisation, if you will).

If they wanted to actually neutralise the descent they had to time everyone at the summit then place a lead car with a red flag, like you would with an unexpected closed level crossing, and eventually set everyone off at the bottom with their time gaps intact, IMO.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    calvjones wrote:
    Turfle wrote:

25th +17:43 on his own between Bass and Pellizotti, and ahead of all sorts of climbing talent.

That's an amazing ride. What a season he's having. Should tee him up for some protected rides. On this form is there a better candidate for the Worlds?
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Macaloon wrote:
    calvjones wrote:
    Turfle wrote:

25th +17:43 on his own between Bass and Pellizotti, and ahead of all sorts of climbing talent.

That's an amazing ride. What a season he's having. Should tee him up for some protected rides. On this form is there a better candidate for the Worlds?

Is clear he's good in bad weather.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Bernhard Eisel ‏@EiselBernhard
    People say today's stage was epic! I always felt save - I had my avalanche peeper in the pocket. Safety first!

Juan Antonio Flecha ‏@ComounaFlecha
    @EiselBernhard useless if u & your colleagues don't have a shovel and a probe . Be proud of today

(#SkiJoke)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    ddraver wrote:
    Bernhard Eisel ‏@EiselBernhard
    People say today's stage was epic! I always felt save - I had my avalanche peeper in the pocket. Safety first!

Juan Antonio Flecha ‏@ComounaFlecha
    @EiselBernhard useless if u & your colleagues don't have a shovel and a probe . Be proud of today

(#SkiJoke)

#knobjoke
  • ddraver
    oh you are mean! ;)
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    The tweet would be better if it went like this.

@EiselBernhard as if u & your colleagues don't have a shovel and a probe . Be proud of today
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Can't wait for the highlights. Trust work to be really busy today so I only caught snippets on the last climb and then the last 10km. From what I saw Quintana looked mightily impressive, Ryder dug in like a good-un, Keldo is better than I imagined, Aru is going to be very good and Evans is cooked.
  • rick_chasey
    Joelsim wrote:
    Can't wait for the highlights. Trust work to be really busy today so I only caught snippets on the last climb and then the last 10km. From what I saw Quintana looked mightily impressive, Ryder dug in like a good-un, Keldo is better than I imagined, Aru is going to be very good and Evans is cooked.

Don't think you need to watch the highlights if that's your summary!
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Macaloon wrote:
    calvjones wrote:
    Turfle wrote:

Is clear he's good in bad weather.
    I was surprised with the way Swift rode today, thought Sky would've wanted him to save something for tomorrow's stage. Great ride though.

Hoping Hesjedal can make up the minute he needs to get on the podium, I've got an each way bet on him that I'd all but written off after the TTT.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    I don't know if it's a UCI protocol but under BC regulations a red flag is just a warning of a hazard. To neutralise a race a black flag is used to stop the race first. Didn't see the final climb so must have a look, think it's on after Tour Series finishes.
  • joelsim
    ES2 at 11
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Pross wrote:
    I suspect it's going to be an anti-climax though, the 'big' stages usually are.

From the first page. I'm not expecting an offer as a pundit from ES :oops:
  • Give me more
    Give me more Posts: 487
    10262245_10152404574605758_5205295227910054971_n.jpg

Welcome to Suffering
  • joelsim
    Have been between 1st and 11th for the last week and a half on road.cc FL. Given 2nd is 1st loser, today I gambled on KoM riders going for it and lost. Oh well. Next!
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    10262245_10152404574605758_5205295227910054971_n.jpg

Welcome to Suffering

I'll get you Butler!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited May 2014
    Yeah red flag is for danger not neutralisation (Quintana said he heard nothing regarding neutralisation but that they would point out the dangers). A huge margin they gained on the descent which isnt normal and suggests that Uran got caught out at the top or something. Also the shots of him showed him descending hyper defensively...but then same goes for most of the other riders so cant be that bad.

Im sad for Uran but it isnt over and Quintana really worked for and deserved his gain. Uran would have got pumped for at least a minute had they arrived at the base together. Uran was basically one of the worst GC candidates on the final clomb...unhappy to see that but maybe he suffered greatly in the cold.

Havent seen any comments by him but will be keen to see what he has to say.

Hesjedal...dont really like him but boy did he take a long trip to pain cave today. Great work Rolland too - fortune favours the brave.

According to Quintana Hes and Rol were the ones who attacked on the descent and he just followed the wheels.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    The Astana leg warmers are an abomination. Justification in themselves for cancelling the stage.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Respect to Cataldo - two, especially today, spirited rides. Pure heart and suffering. Lovely to see. Lots of riders who gave their all today and lots who just passed by surviving. That photo of the Colombian flag on top the Gavia was one of my favourite photos of this Grio. Love this sport. Love the Giro.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • joelsim
    Why on earth were some wearing shorts today? Utter madness.
  • ddraver
    Levevre disagrees with you frenchie...

But I be bit seen anything from any OPQS at the race yet...
    - @ddraver
  • d_o_g
    d_o_g Posts: 286
    Just watched a lot of it via FF's Rai link.

Amazing. Hardcore conditions over the Stelvio, hardcore riding in the sun on the final climb. At least they get a rest tomorrow - odds on the break taking the win?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Great stage, bravo to the Giro organisers, if riders feel cold then try wearing some more clothes, there were riders out there in shorts and track mitts ffs, I wear more than that on a spring morning. How much do a decent pair of gloves, leg warmers and a warmer jacket cost ?

This is a race going over the Stelvio in May, they've known that for months, if they weren't prepared don't blame anyone but themselves. I could sympathise with them over the ice rink in Turkey and the Bari crit stage but this was entirely predictable and a test of bike handling, preparation and mental fortitude - all parts of cycling.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • gattocattivo
    gattocattivo Posts: 500
    iainf72 wrote:
    Race radio talking about neutralisation anyone?

http://www.cycling.it/oggetti/RADIOCORS ... S12_01.mp3

Transcript and translation, anyone?

I can't speak Italian perfectly, but I can give an approximation:

"Attention DSs, the organisers have predicted that they will insert in front of each group motorbikes with red flags to make sure that there are no attacks so the riders will need to stop for a bit in their positions, not take any big risks, for reasons of safety don't pass the red flags"
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    4+ hours of highlights to watch at the office in the morning...
    http://www.rai.tv/dl/RaiTV/programmi/me ... 58d&page=0
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    A huge margin they (Quintana & co) gained on the descent, which isnt normal and suggests that Uran got caught out at the top or something. Also the shots of him showed him descending hyper defensively...but then same goes for most of the other riders so cant be that bad.
    I didn’t think the achieved margin by Quintana on the descent was that huge, as you write – after all it was 25 km long and easily 4 secs per km or more can be gained.

Added to which, when a rider is in the middle of a larger group, like Uran was, he usually ends up descending at the group pace, which typically is slower than what a rider might do when alone (if courageous), or when in a small group (if 1-2 in the group descend well), so Quintana’s case.

Cataldo was an example of the courageous alone, and the Dupont mini-group a better example of the speedy small group than the Quintana mini-group. Both Cataldo and the Dupont group gained about 7 secs per km on Uran on the descent, the Quintana group less than 5 secs per km.