Giro 2014 - Stage 16: Val Martello *Spoilers*

Comments

• adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    BopcDpFCQAE_AZB.png

I wonder what Uran will have to say about this.
    Quite a lot, considering they apparently deleted that and then tweeted "Wrong communication: no neutralization for the descent from the Passo dello Stelvio. Sorry for the wrong information. #giro"
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    We have live pictures on the Gavia! :)
    121kms to go. Rai and Sporza now live.
    Rai, live here:
    http://alfatv.webs.com/
    (now gone back to the studio)
    This link was amazing - hardly any adverts, never once flickered and picture quality was clear.
    Agree about the great link, thanks for the tip, Blazing Saddles, my Eurosport and Bein Sport links kept going off and on, and then finally gave up just about the time you posted the link.
  • knedlicky
    philwint wrote:
    calvjones wrote:
    philwint wrote:
    that was superb, and what a great road at the finish, those hair pins look fantastic.
    Isn't it great?
    But remind me never, ever, ever, to contemplate trying to ride up it! :shock:
    You should try it - because it's not a constant slope, you get a breather now and again, and the descent (after an ice cream at the top) is great, very fast on the less steep bits because they are all long sweeping curves.
  • Give me more
    Give me more Posts: 487
    adr82 wrote:
    BopcDpFCQAE_AZB.png

Quite a lot, considering they apparently deleted that and then tweeted "Wrong communication: no neutralization for the descent from the Passo dello Stelvio. Sorry for the wrong information. #giro"

If anyone was taking their information from the twitter account and not direct from the race organisers I think there's bigger questions to be asking.

We definitely haven't heard the last of the neutralisation stuff though.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    I recall someone posted a photo from twitter a couple of months ago of Quintana up training in the snow somwhere (he had to turn back iirc) - obviously good prep for today

looking forward to catching the highlights later
  • adr82
    If anyone was taking their information from the twitter account and not direct from the race organisers I think there's bigger questions to be asking.

Yeah that's what I meant, presumably it wasn't just a hasty tweet that started all this. The commentary suggested it was first discussed over race radio.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    adr82 wrote:
    BopcDpFCQAE_AZB.png

According to Cyclingnews it also came over race radio, but I assume if it was corrected it would have also been corrected on race radio which would then be relayed to riders. Could have been too late...who knows at this point.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • knedlicky
    Great stuff!

I’m glad they didn’t re-route the stage over the simpler passes, I doubt it would have worked out the same.

I expect that’s booked Val Martello for future Giros too.

Felt especially pleased for the first 3, liked Kelderman making the best of what was left, and thought Pantano had an overall good and praiseworthy day.

Basso came in at 17-16, but was still 24th; god knows where the rest of them still are.
  • frenchfighter
    Time limit is 40mins.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Anyone watching Processo Alla Tappa and can understand?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Give me more
    Give me more Posts: 487
    adr82 wrote:
    BopcDpFCQAE_AZB.png

According to Cyclingnews it also came over race radio, but I assume if it was corrected it would have also been corrected on race radio which would then be relayed to riders. Could have been too late...who knows at this point.

Sporza called the lotto DS (who i would consider reasonably unbiased given they have nothing to ride for) who told them there was never any neutralisation reported on the race radio

No doubt all the teams who made time will say there was none, and the teams who lost time will say there was.
  • above_the_cows
    They should definitely have Val Martello in following Giros.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Swift came in 25th.

As exciting a stage as it was, we still managed to not see the winning move.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Whether it was told or not - OPQS and Uran will definitely exploit the confusion and say it was neutralised.
  • adr82
    Turfle wrote:
    Swift came in 25th.

As exciting a stage as it was, we still managed to not see the winning move.
    Not surprising with the helicopters being unable to catch the top of the descent... and if they had been able to be there the weather would have been good enough that there wouldn't have been the same move.
  • above_the_cows
    Turfle wrote:
    Swift came in 25th.

Give over! Did he really? Stone the crows.

surprise-cat.png
  • adr82
    Did anyone see if Uran stopped at the top like some riders did to get changed for the descent? I wasn't watching at the time but I heard the commentary saying Quintana had just ridden through, was wondering if that was all it took for the gap to start forming.
  • Turfle
    Turfle wrote:
    Swift came in 25th.

Give over! Did he really? Stone the crows.

surprise-cat.png

A good 17 minutes down, but sandwiched between Basso and Pellizotti/Niemiec.

I dread to think how many minutes back the grupetto is.
  • frenchfighter
    Rider 38 comes in 30mins down....if the time cut it 40mins they are going to have to waive it or more than half the peloton gets dropped.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Turfle
    Last rider in so far:
    38 PIRAZZI Stefano 30:33
  • above_the_cows
    Still 25th is 25th and with a former winner* and Pellizotti

*yes I know on both counts.
  • above_the_cows
    Rider 38 comes in 30mins down....if the time cut it 40mins they are going to have to waive it or more than half the peloton gets dropped.

^This. They'll be loosing the red jersey wearer for sure.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725

I expect (hope!) they'll do the sensible thing.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • frenchfighter
    Rider 59 in 34mins
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Turfle
    63 BELKOV Maxim 35:53
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I think Evans will finish 8th overall.
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Gruppetto in at 39:50!

Hahaha! Eisel and Petacchi doing the calcs so well presumably.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    Gruppetto in at 39:50!

Hahaha! Eisel and Pettachi doing the calcs so well presumably.

:D
  • frenchfighter
    5 Colombians in the top 16.
    Contador is the Greatest