Giro 2014 - Stage 16: Val Martello *Spoilers*

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Is this going to come out like Movistar and Saxo/belkin in the tour?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Pat L threatening to call that lawyers. There's a surprise.

I loved the final climb - Very nice and I hope they use it more. I do wish the Giro would stop trying to be epic though. It's too risky with the weather and they don't need to climb such big mountains to get exciting racing.

Quintana rode well but having Ryder finish a handful of seconds down doesn't make me think he's in amazing form.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72
    Race radio talking about neutralisation anyone?

http://www.cycling.it/oggetti/RADIOCORS ... S12_01.mp3
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Milton50 wrote:
    "At no time was there an attack on the descent, and we heard nothing of neutralisation, neither from the race organisation nor from the team car," Quintana said in a statement. "I don't understand why there is controversy. Additionally, I made the most difference on the final climb to Val Martello."

Either way it's a complete shambles.

I agree. The different views of the teams all look quite credible, it's a pity that this will influence the race, even if not the winner. Quintana (who I admire massively) didn't have to attack on the ascent to gain time, the other guys had stopped to dress and have a tea and cake while he was still racing. Organizers had warned of possible action because of the weather, followed by misinformation from their official account. It wasn't just some random tweeter.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    iainf72 wrote:
    I loved the final climb - Very nice and I hope they use it more. I do wish the Giro would stop trying to be epic though. It's too risky with the weather and they don't need to climb such big mountains to get exciting racing.

Agree with all of that. There's so many good climbs and terrain in Italy that they don't need to play roulette with the weather every year.

And, yes, I'd like to see the final climb again.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,538
    iainf72 wrote:
    Pat L threatening to call that lawyers. There's a surprise.

Quintana rode well but having Ryder finish a handful of seconds down doesn't make me think he's in amazing form.

It wouldn't be the Giro if they didn't over-egg the pudding. I've said before that I actually prefer the conservatism of the Tour though.

On a good day, Ryder can dig extremely deep. Can't follow attacks, but can pace himself back to the wheel. He had some of them in 2012. That said, the quality of the field isn't all it could be.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    iainf72 wrote:

Transcript and translation, anyone?
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    #NeuterTweetGate

Wouldn't be a GT without a controversy. Still I hope it doesn't end up overhanging the eventual victor's victory like a malingering fart.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    iainf72 wrote:

Just thinking the same. But then the only GC rider I saw arrive at the summit looking like they had any form was Kelderman; and he was being pegged back by Pozzo…

That some of the best climbers in the peloton start looking shabby is a clear indication that the b@stard combo of Gavia/Stelvio did its job...
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Quintana had also been on the front for, I don't know, 40k or so.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 wrote:

Transcript and translation, anyone?

I'm sure we'll get the full thing soon enough but Mr Hatch says it's implies no-racing.
  • above_the_cows
    Turfle wrote:
    Quintana had also been on the front for, I don't know, 40k or so.

With a little help from Big Ryder in the valley.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    iainf72 wrote:
    I do wish the Giro would stop trying to be epic though. It's too risky with the weather and they don't need to climb such big mountains to get exciting racing.

Agree with this. Ski resorts like Cervinia are still open and usually skiable down to 2000m at the beginning of May. Including a road up to 2,800m and having to descend in May isn't too sensible. Yes, maybe include the road as a stage finish (not so bad having to go uphill), but mid stage not great.

They have to change or talk about changing stages nearly every year. Just be a bit more sensible about the roads they pick.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Just out of interest, what was the time gain on the descent, anybody know?
  • iainf72
    Rob Hatch says the recording basically says they're going to put red flags on the motorbikes to stop any attacks on the descent and so riders would "hold their position"
  • Give me more
    Give me more Posts: 487
    iainf72 wrote:
    Rob Hatch says the recording basically says they're going to put red flags on the motorbikes to stop any attacks on the descent and so riders would "hold their position"

So as long as the Quintana group just followed the red flag bike till the flag was dropped they were fine?

I suppose they could have passed a previous bike to get there though.

It all sounds bloody ambiguous. No clear statement of neutralisation though.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    iainf72 wrote:

If that's the case then it sounds like some DS's heard race radio talking about no attacking and just assumed that meant that the descent was completely neutralised and that they could stop at the top for new clothing.

From what little clips I've seen I don't think Quintana, Rolland et al "attacked" on the descent, they just rolled through. Someone who watched it live might say otherwise though.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 wrote:
    This guy – I can’t vouch for his accuracy – calculated Quintana’s winning climb at 5.34 W/kg, i.e. relatively unimpressive on paper. However, his time on this very tough day was much better than anyone else’s except Hesjedal’s.

That guy is a raving lunatic.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Just out of interest, what was the time gain on the descent, anybody know?
    Top of Stelvio

Cataldo
    +0:18 Chalapud
    +0:38 Dupont
    +1:08 Pantano
    +1:10 Group Maglia Rosa

End of descent

Cataldo
    +0:44 Dupont, Vuillermoz, Pantano
    +2:05 Hesjedal, Quintana, Rabottini, Rolland, Sicard
    +4:05 Group Maglia Rosa

Begin of final climb

Cataldo
    +1:30 Dupont, Vuillermoz, Pantano, Hesjedal, Quintana, Izagirre, Rabottini, Rolland, Sicard
    +3:15 Group Maglia Rosa

Finish

Quintana
    Hesjedal +0:08
    Rolland+1:13
    Kelderman +3:32
    Pozzovivo +3:37
    Aru +3:40
    Majka +4:08
    Henao +4:11
    Uran +4:11
    Evans +4:48
    Kiserlovski +4:48
    Pantano +4:45

So Quintana gained 2:00 on Uran during the descent, lost 0:15 in the valley, gained another 2:26 on the final ascent.
  • iainf72
    Okay. I don’t much care about such figures anyway.

Nor I.

Fine ride by Quintana - But I suspect if he'd not started with a big lead on the final climb it would've been different - due to the tactics that would've kicked in.
  • above_the_cows
    Great times, cheers knedlicky!
  • Turfle
    I can vouch for vetooo's lack of accuracy.

The w/kg will be low, as it was an hour long climb, basically on his own, in awful conditions, and after two hard climbs.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Great times, cheers knedlicky!

Yeah, thanks!
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    edited May 2014
    What a sport. Respect to the riders.

Gutted for Uran, however it happened. Looked like 1'30'' in the valley to Quintana. Even giving him that back, he's not beating the wee man at this Giro. If this is a 95% Quintana :shock:

Brilliant day for Hesjedal. Rolland looking like 2011 vintage.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • iainf72
    I reckon there will still be a few people tanking over the next few days

Even Quintana could pay for his effort later.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    A day for riders with balls... now we know Quintana has balls, unlike previously thought... :roll:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Turfle
    Monfort lost 11 minutes, and moved up 3 places to 14th!

Those were some impressive time gaps today.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Bloody loved that.

Hej is always a good tier better in the third week.

Quintana making it quite clear why he should be riding the Tour and not the Giro....different league.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,450
    iainf72 wrote:

Is that the sound of you clutching at straws I hear? :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    iainf72 wrote:

Doubt anyone went any more or less deeper than anyone else on a day like that. It's just every man for himself.

It's not like any of the other riders were holding something back.