Giro 2014 - Stage 16: Val Martello *Spoilers*

1212223242527»

Comments

• RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Get you Gok Wan.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Armwarmers and legwarmers (with a neoprene lining maybe?) can be rolled up and down.

Hot hands is hardly the end of the world and gloves can be discarded at the final climb
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    The red flags thing is a red herring. A fair amount of gap time Quintana and Rolland got on the others seemed to be made on the lower forested slopes where they could ride harder and properly break free to be out of sight of the others: with Cataldo at 68.1kms to go, near the foot of Stelvio, a TV helicopter shot shows Quintana & Heyersdal descending, then helpfully pans back to view Uran, at this point about 45 seconds back, who is taking the corners much more tentatively. Also, at 39kms to go the Quintana sextet can be seen in discussion and getting organized into a hard-working train that would consolidate their gap on Uran's larger, less cohesive group, which by contrast appeared to ride the 20kms or so flattish road between the two mountains more like a pack of sportive riders.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Tuesday’s stage of the Giro d’Italia was a complete travesty, as teams were given an official communication at the top of Stelvio Pass that the race would be controlled for safety reasons on the downhill due to road safety and other factors.

All but two teams respected this official communication. The UCI and the race organization have a responsibility to see that the rules are respected. In addition to disrespecting the race instructions regarding race neutrality, several teams pre-determined that they alone would be allowed to have more than the designated two follow cars in the peloton, which showed complete disrespect for the other 20 teams in the race.

We take no position against the three riders that rode together to the finish. However, the UCI and race organizer RCS have a responsibility to maintain fair racing conditions, which we believe did not take place. We also believe that teams which disregarded the caravan follow car rules acted in an unsportsmanlike and totally unacceptable manner.

Respectfully,

Jim Ochowicz
    President/General Manager, BMC Racing Team
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Sjaak
    Sjaak Posts: 99
    Johan van der Velde, Gavia, Giro 88

pic12904371_600.jpg
    Sirotti
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Ochowitz talking about ensuring 'a responsibility to maintain fair racing conditions' and acting 'in an unsportsmanlike and totally unacceptable manner' - irony overload!!
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    Sjaak wrote:
    Johan van der Velde, Gavia, Giro 88

pic12904371_600.jpg
    Sirotti

Is Van Der Velde wearing a pair of overshoes? Blooming lightweight! :lol:

DD.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    tumblr_n6i2gsgfwU1ropreyo1_1280.jpg
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • It is a great photo. The boy cemented himself as a proper champion that day. HC rider.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Was a great days racing. Cracking area for riding in too. I was there this summer and you've got the Rombo as well as val Martello and Stelvio all within reasonable distance of one another. Great if you like 20km+ climbs.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    And I felt sorry for myself on my 20 minute ride to work in the dry this morning because I felt a bit chilly to start with :lol: