Giro 2014 - Stage 16: Val Martello *Spoilers*

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Also I do not think any DS is using twitter for the official comms...if they are then that is plain wrong. The race radio is what people did and should refer to. I highly doubt the DS have time or even a signal to check twitter 2500m up when their riders are all over the place suffering.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    "I think it's important to point out that Nairo had a lead of a minute at the bottom of the Stelvio but gained four-minutes on Uran and the other riders. He gained most of the time on the climb, not on the descent."

Unzue should correct those numbers!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Astana and OPQS talking about some kind of protest action today

Good times.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Give me more
    Give me more Posts: 487
    Macaloon wrote:
    What are you basing that on? Neo-Henao rode out of his skin with the GC group yesterday, but otherwise Sky have been invisible: top rider Henao 31st before yesterday's start.

Speaking of Henao, if he hadn't got screwed by that crash on stage 8 ( lost 20 minutes or so as a result) he would have been up around 15th after today!
    Quintana:

"I'm still struggling with that flu and some coughing"

Really? Didn't see him cough once in the last 40k he was destroying the rest of the field. Maybe someone out there believes him.

He did sound a bit congested when I heard him being interviewed. It's obviously not too bad though.
  • frenchfighter
    iainf72 wrote:
    It seems the moto rider is confirming Quintana passed him when his red flag was up

BotAFUaIIAA-6Ds.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Macaloon wrote:
    What are you basing that on? Neo-Henao rode out of his skin with the GC group yesterday, but otherwise Sky have been invisible: top rider Henao 31st before yesterday's start.

Apart from Cataldo's epic lone break yesterday, or Cataldo's 2nd place on Saturday... :roll:
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Jim Ochowicz isn't happy, says rules were broken, but he's not actually asking for the results to be ammended.
    I guess a few people will cry foul but wont take it any further. It'll go down in history that stage.
  • frenchfighter
    UCI rule 2.2.029
    Race incidents
    In case of an accident or incident that could impinge upon the normal conduct of a race in general or
    a particular stage thereof, race director may, after obtaining the agreement of the commissaires'
    panel and having informed the timekeepers, at any moment, decide:
    • to modify the course,
    • to temporarily neutralise the race or stage,
    • to declare a stage null and void,
    • to cancel part of a stage as well as the results of any possible intermediate classifications and to
    restart the stage near the place of the incident,
    • to let the results stand or
    • to restart the race or stage, taking account of the gaps recorded at the moment of the incident.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    I was surprised that the margin hardly came down in the valley given there was a decent group behind with a few teams represented vs two domestiques...those two did an amazing job.

Exactly - where we're OPQS for Uran? Nowhere...
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    inseine wrote:
    Jim Ochowicz isn't happy, says rules were broken, but he's not actually asking for the results to be ammended.
    I guess a few people will cry foul but wont take it any further. It'll go down in history that stage.

Quintana still has opportunities to make it all look academic anyway, and it's hard to see him not doing so. It's in the podium battle there could well be eventual winners and losers from yesterday's controversy.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,450
    BorIpESIIAEHMOI.jpg
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    I was surprised that the margin hardly came down in the valley given there was a decent group behind with a few teams represented vs two domestiques...those two did an amazing job.

+1.

All this talk of protests is just nonsense. What I am interested to hear about in the coming days is the politics and aliances that this could create in the peloton and how that plays out.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    andyp wrote:
    BorIpESIIAEHMOI.jpg

It's the photographic SMOKING GUN!!!!
  • frenchfighter
    SPTDW4061_zps8d624a61.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    “In other sports, they just think about material. They say, ‘First of all, we’re not going to risk the lives of our guys. And the second, the material costs a shitload of money.’ In our sport, nobody cares. They don’t care if the rider is sick the next day. It doesn’t matter, [if he] destroys 15 bikes on the way down there. It’s just, ‘We’re going,’” said a weary Bernhard Eisel. “For me it’s just sick when people are out there and want to see that. That’s sick. This is sick. [None] of us is scared to fight, to give everything. But when it’s just about the most stupid and steepest climb, and people seeing us riding in the snow, not even knowing the faces. Just people shaking, stopping on the side of the road to warm up their hands,” Eisel said. “It was probably cool 20 years ago. It’s just that everybody wants to live in the present, like having the newest TV, but then still talk about the old times, how cool [those riders] were. Thanks for that. Now they can see us standing on the side of the road warming up in HD.”. “If something happens, is somebody going to get sued? No. You never sue an organization. It’s like they do what they want. And I understand. They want to bring the race through. But bring it to the table, and don’t make decisions like that all the time … It’s not like you can’t [hold] a press conference and say, ‘Hey, guys, we decide tomorrow,’” Eisel said. “I’m not actually even complaining. I went through it. But we better count all the riders, because nobody knows if somebody got lost out there.”

Oh well Eisel, don't ride the Giro again. Go and soft tap round another race for Sky in your comfortable bus and your face creams on hand. This is a business and fans would not watch this sport if it was just a pan flat rubbish through nowhere, then sponsors wouldnt sponsor and you would not be a pro cyclist.

Frenchie, Eisel is one of the rider reps at the UCI. Does this make any difference to your reading of what he says? Personally I think he has a point, yes I enjoyed watching yesterday but I didn't need to see the suffering in the cold to enjoy it, the racing was what made it fun, not the sadism of watching a load of people freezing their nuts off.

Maybe the Giro organisers need to be a little more organised about how they deal with stages like this, that's what he's asking for and he isn't exactly alone in thinking that, he's representing the views of a large part of the peloton which is sort of the point of his role as a rider representative.

Anyway back to red flag gate...
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    r0bh wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

Apart from Cataldo's epic lone break yesterday, or Cataldo's 2nd place on Saturday... :roll:

The new Voeckler? Obviously circumstances dictate how riders ride. But rocking up to the second biggest race in the season with no intention of competing, having just milked the sport for BuckMisterFuller's profile in Hollywood deserves at least a passing mention :D
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Macaloon wrote:
    r0bh wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

The new Voeckler? Obviously circumstances dictate how riders ride. But rocking up to the second biggest race in the season with no intention of competing, having just milked the sport for BuckMisterFuller's profile in Hollywood deserves at least a passing mention :D

Oh the irony. :roll:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Macaloon wrote:
    r0bh wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

Any chance you could let it lie now?! Anyone who reads this forum on even a semi-regular basis gets your point now.

Edit: [insert winking face] just so you know I'm only semi-serious.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    ^ Point taken. Wouldn't want to get a rep as the provisional wing of FF's army. (But I was just responding to the suggestion that Uran would get better support.)
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    OCDuPalais wrote:

No wrong, my points in my first reply hold.
    Go and watch the stage again and you will see he wasn't by himself on the flat.
    The last climb was mano a mano between the GC guys.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Frenchie, Eisel is one of the rider reps at the UCI. Does this make any difference to your reading of what he says?

Yeah I know he is the rep so should be saying something vaguely along these lines but not as dramatic as this and he still remains a soft rider. No way he would have been a pro 20-50 years ago.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ocdupalais
    OCDuPalais wrote:

No wrong, my points in my first reply hold.
    Go and watch the stage again and you will see he wasn't by himself on the flat.

And my point is: either Uran had team mates with him and they were ineffective or he didn't have team mates with him and he wasn't even on the final climb yet… which is it - you choose?
  • frenchfighter
    How about you watch the race and decide for yourself?

I am not going tit for tat for you.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ocdupalais

Really?
    I saw Rogers pulling for Majka for large chunks of it and Landa doing what he could for Aru - that was just after the bit where Izaguirre rode himself into oblivion in the service of Quintana...
  • frenchfighter
    BenSwifttunnel_3148850.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    @friebos · 2h
    On day after '88 Gavia fiasco JF Bernard rode ahead of bunch on Timmelsjoch, got off bike & used it to barricade road. Who'll that be today?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • BenSwifttunnel_3148850.jpg

Even though I’m amazed by Swifty's ride yesterday and have total respect for it. I still think it was a bit dumb, surely it will have a negative effect on his ride today?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    In all of complaining some teams have been doing nobody has questioned why they couldn't have done more to pull Quintana back in the valley after the Stelvio. Quintana's group didn't have much in the way of domestiques to pull it along, the chasers were a much bigger group and if the GC men had rolled through too they could have closed Quintana down or at least have had a chance of doing so, especially if Pozzovivo had called his two men back to work earlier.

Then on the climb itself it was left to Mick Rogers to lead them up the first third or so while all the time the advantage grew. If the other GC men wanted to defend their positions they shouldn't have played poker while the group ahead rode away.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    In all of complaining some teams have been doing nobody has questioned why they couldn't have done more to pull Quintana back in the valley after the Stelvio. Quintana's group didn't have much in the way of domestiques to pull it along, the chasers were a much bigger group and if the GC men had rolled through too they could have closed Quintana down or at least have had a chance of doing so, especially if Pozzovivo had called his two men back to work earlier.

Then on the climb itself it was left to Mick Rogers to lead them up the first third or so while all the time the advantage grew. If the other GC men wanted to defend their positions they shouldn't have played poker while the group ahead rode away.

I'm not sure anyone had the legs at that stage - I didnt get the sense that this was the other GC guys waiting for someone else to pick up the chase so much as no-one really believed they could sustain a much higher pace without blowing up completely.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited May 2014
    Roche's diary, confirming they were told red flag and stopped for clothes. http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-s ... 10114.html

The psychological impact of Quintana cheating will have been huge. FF said Froome should have been removed from the Tour for the gel incident yet fully support Quintana on this. You are the fully grown cyclig version of a "Bielber" or "Directioner". Only in reverse against Sky.

Opqs failed Rigo yesterday but not as much as the race officials.