• Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Take That were never the same after Robbie left. :lol:

Post of the Day!
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492

Post of the Day!

Except that Take That were most successful after their comeback without Robbie!
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Paulie W wrote:

Post of the Day!

Except that Take That were most successful after their comeback without Robbie!

By then they were Take That Rebooted
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    If we're going to push this analogy I can see Richie as Mark Owen size wise and all, but who the hell are Jason and Howard?
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    TheBigBean wrote:
    I've never really been able to see the point of well positioned domestiques waiting for nominated leaders who have been found wanting in the mountains - especially if there limited time trails to come. The team leader should be the strongest rider not the one with the largest ego / palmares. There are many examples of this in the past e.g. TVG waiting for Evans, Kloden waiting for Ulrich etc.

Isn't it the case that the nominated leaders are those that can maintain performance over the many critical stages of a Grand Tour? There are quite a few domestiques that can have a better day than the leader but then blow up the next day etc. Better that they help limit the losses for the leader when they are on form.

Obviously with the benefit of hindsight on some of these occasions the domestique has gone on to be consistent throughout a GT but at the time the team has to go with the most probable scenario.

I remember Indurain waiting and then pacing Pedro Delgado (showing my age) and Phil & Paul waxing lyrical how Indurain was sacrificing his own ambition for his leader and was the stronger rider that year. I am sure the next day Indurain blew up and got dropped whereas Delgado stayed in the mix. This obviously showed Indurains promise but ultimately was the correct decision to ride for Delgado who was the proven GT performer. (the latter bit may be a figment of my ailing memory, but it was a long time ago and it demonstrates the point :wink: )
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • woody1545
    woody1545 Posts: 322
    Froome makes a good Gary Barlow, both tax dodgers.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    Coach H - I think that is very much the theory and the counter argument to what I'm saying. I just think more often than not it is better to keep a rider's GC position as high as possible.

I think your memory of the 1990 tour is correct (I haven't re-watched the recently posted video) and does prove your point, but I wonder how much time Delgado really saved by being paced by Indurain vs how much Indurain lost.
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    woody1545 wrote:
    Froome makes a good Gary Barlow, both tax dodgers.

Was it not Wiggins who got himself into bother with that?
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • woody1545
    woody1545 Posts: 322
    Yeah, I was referring to Froome living in Monico but yeah that does ring a bell now you mention it. :oops:
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    woody1545 wrote:
    Yeah, I was referring to Froome living in Monico but yeah that does ring a bell now you mention it. :oops:
    As I recall the news at the time was all about him revealing he'd pulled out of some offshore tax avoidance scheme after the Treasury ruled it was out of order. I don' think he was exposed by the media and forced to come clean as such - as we saw with Jimmy Carr. That's my recollection. I might be wrong.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Bp35DZnIQAEmGom.jpg
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Epic!
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • gattocattivo
    gattocattivo Posts: 500
    FWIW - I think it was obviously correct for Sky to start the Vuelta in 2011 backing Wiggins as Froome had done f*ck all for Sky at that point and was in the last chance saloon. I also think neither of them could have gone with Cobo up the Angliru. But I think it was a mistake to keep Wiggins as sole leader after Froome had beaten him in the time trial - they should have gone for joint leaders at that stage. Unless my memory is playing tricks on me, Froome took the leader's jersey after the TT, then on the next stage near the top of the final moutain he was sent to the front to do the work with Wiggins sitting in the group and ended up losing 20 seconds or so after riding himself into the ground while Wiggins took over the race lead for a few days. I'm sure I remember Wiggins being interviewed at the time and saying that he had asked the team management "should we ride for Chris now?" and was told no, it was still all about him.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Unless my memory is playing tricks on me, Froome took the leader's jersey after the TT, then on the next stage near the top of the final moutain he was sent to the front to do the work with Wiggins sitting in the group and ended up losing 20 seconds or so after riding himself into the ground while Wiggins took over the race lead for a few days.
    In his book he says that he did his usual job but attacks started about 3km from the finish and he couldn't respond and he lost 30 seconds. He reckoned it would have been 30 seconds more if Carlos Sastre hadn't towed him to the line (which is odd as Sastre was Cobo's teammate)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    FWIW - I think it was obviously correct for Sky to start the Vuelta in 2011 backing Wiggins as Froome had done f*ck all for Sky at that point and was in the last chance saloon. I also think neither of them could have gone with Cobo up the Angliru. But I think it was a mistake to keep Wiggins as sole leader after Froome had beaten him in the time trial - they should have gone for joint leaders at that stage. Unless my memory is playing tricks on me, Froome took the leader's jersey after the TT, then on the next stage near the top of the final moutain he was sent to the front to do the work with Wiggins sitting in the group and ended up losing 20 seconds or so after riding himself into the ground while Wiggins took over the race lead for a few days. I'm sure I remember Wiggins being interviewed at the time and saying that he had asked the team management "should we ride for Chris now?" and was told no, it was still all about him.

In retrospect it was probably a mistake to have Froome do quite so much work for Brad, but at the time expecting Froome to keep it up for 3 weeks seemed crazy. Your memory is correct about the TT and the following stage; the way that stage played out though there were so many attacks, and with only Froome and Wiggins left, one of them HAD to ride, or else they would both lose major time.

Judging by how quickly he zoomed away once Brad started to crack on the Angliru, I do think Froome had a chance to stay with Cobo, but who knows.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Geraint Thomas ‏@GeraintThomas86 2h

Well well, just seen this from @chrisfroome book... He can pull on the front today now :) pic.twitter.com/HJOJG1MnCD
    Correlation is not causation.
  • tailwindhome
    Bp8aDwVCMAEGZWi.jpg

Scott O'Raw ‏@velocast · 34m
    In light of Cycling Weekly #BackingBrad this morning, we thought the recruitment drive should begin in earnest
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Bp8bDYuCcAA_FGp.jpg

Peter In Devon‏@PeterInDevon
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    I'm a genuine Kenyan and if I was fit for the Tdf, I still wouldn't help Wiggo.

BTW - Chris Froome's brother is married to my mothers best friends grand daughter. So there! That means I have pedigree :D
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    "You know those press packs we ordered...? We'd like to cancel them"

bXyGOI4.jpg
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Mechanism wrote:
    "You know those press packs we ordered...? We'd like to cancel them"

bXyGOI4.jpg
    Nah, just sticker over the offending part.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    gUkOQHI.jpg
    ?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    adr82 wrote:
    gUkOQHI.jpg
    ?

Top work!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    adr82 wrote:
    gUkOQHI.jpg
    ?

Another contender for post of the year!
    Correlation is not causation.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Another contender for post of the year!

Though being Yaarkshiire...

shetland-pit-pony.jpg
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Yaawksha, if you're gonna take the piss, do it proper like....
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    ChippyK wrote:
    Yaawksha, if you're gonna take the wee-wee, do it proper like....

Sorry, don't speak Norvern.
  • Wiggins for Vuelta? Put the whole team behind him. That is all. Job done.
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Wiggins for Vuelta? Put the whole team behind him. That is all. Job done.
    It's not really a course for him. About a dozen mountain top finishes and only about 40km of time trialling.

Plus they've probably promised lead roles to others - Nieve/Henao/Dowbrowski/Kennaugh/whoever
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    Does Blighty and Cycling Weekly not demand Sir Wig of Kilburn rides the Tour of Britain? Defending champion etc..., not an African pretender in sight... :wink:
This discussion has been closed.