Froome on Wiggins and more

Comments

• curium
    curium Posts: 815
    edited June 2014
    :lol:
    Froome is the better GT rider, just putting my cards on the table.

I'm sure Froome would of loved a rider of Brad's ability in the squad but the trust is gone.

They couldn't even do a one day race together last year (world championships), fcuk having him in a 3 week squad!

EDIT: cheers for fixing the typo mods :d
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    symo wrote:
    " I sensed a mental weakness in brad " - I read as; " I am not that sure about having such a strong domestique on my tour team and it is actually playing on my nerves a bit - I'll have a word with Dave"
    Oh and Brailsford; you live in ILSON, wheres you hardness when whiney boy says he won't play with Brad anymore.

I hope that Quntantannananaana - or however it is spelled wins. Froome looks like a total whiney ass, lives in Monaco (obviously doesn't like British tax). Perhaps living in the UK would give that thing he lacks - a personality, he is the cycling equivalent of Federer.

Hope Cav has a good few days in the UK, but my following of this years tour will be hoping the Colombian ruins Froomes tour completely.

Sorry to break it to you but Quintana isn't riding the tour.
    He's using the time to move house.....to Monaco (really)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gattocattivo
    gattocattivo Posts: 500
    coriordan wrote:
    Living in Monaco may be to do with lots of hills, to be fair to him

Yes, I'm sure that's it. That's the problem with Europe - it's just so difficult to find hills outside of tax havens.
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    Tour will be less entertaining without Wiggins. It's a shame. My ambivalence to Froome has taken a small step in the negative direction. I think Sky will have a weaker team without him and that might prove a mistake. Then again, Froome might monster it anyway.
    Tour will be less entertaining without the potential for needle between these two and the journos trying to stir it daily.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I actually hope Sky fall flat on their faces on the Tour.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    If I earned millions of squids I'd be off to Monaco like a shot
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Gazzaputt wrote:

Froome + cobbles = entirely possible
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    curium wrote:
    Tour will be less entertaining without Wiggins. It's a shame. My ambivalence to Froome has taken a small step in the negative direction. I think Sky will have a weaker team without him and that might prove a mistake. Then again, Froome might monster it anyway.
    Tour will be less entertaining without the potential for needle between these two and the journos trying to stir it daily.
    Which is an extremely good reason for Brailsford to decide to not have Wiggins on the Tour squad.
  • fleshtuxedo
    edited June 2014
    Gazzaputt wrote:

Is there any reason to think Froome on cobbles is more of a risk than Contador or Nibali? Serious question, not trying to be smart...
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    What I want to know is, whether Wiggins this year, unlike last, will be prepared to watch the Tour on TV.
  • Richmond Racer
    Gazzaputt wrote:

Is there any reason to think Froome on cobbles is more of a risk that Contador or Nibali? Serious question, not trying to be smart...

Nope. Not excluding any of them from that possibility. Just the reference was in a reply to a post re Sky falling flat.
  • Hi all,

First post but have been following this forum (and this thread in particular) for some time...

I'm confused about all the chat about Froome not trusting Wiggins - see stage 11 in 2012 and who was being untrustworthy...

Ultimately from the outside it looks as though Wiggins felt betrayed in 2012 - and going by the whole DB mantra of 1 GC rider surely this means that there was never any question as to who was leading that team in 2012. Froome attacked his leader in yellow, everyone saw that. He may be p*ssed he never got his chance for GC, but that surely should be directed at Sky, not Wiggins?

Obviously this is me from the outside looking in. No one really knows what other internal strife there is. Team dynamics are clearly important, though I for one will be gutted not to see Wiggins at the tour. He's by far more personable, and I feel I get to see a truer reflection of the rider in interviews than Froome - who frankly comes across almost robotic...
  • fleshtuxedo
    I understand that Sky would want to avoid a repeat of TDF 2012's infighting, but am surprised they're taking the risk of getting a repeat of TDF 2011, especially with Porte riding like a bag o' spanners.

But more than that, I wanted a fun Tour to watch :(
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    This is all about Wiggins v Froome you can't bring other riders into it. It ruins the dynamic.
    Ah, worth a go... :D
  • MrT
    MrT Posts: 260
    FJS wrote:
    curium wrote:
    Which is an extremely good reason for Brailsford to decide to not have Wiggins on the Tour squad.

I think the Wiggo's out of the lamp.....was what was said this am probably mischief making in a humble type of way...very likely....press will be all over this until the tour starts when they'll be all over it even more. It will run and run in numerous ways and the problem now is whatever anyone connected with Sky says or BC or any other time for that matter..it will be seized upon and wrung and spun.
  • fleshtuxedo
    "MrT wrote:
    I think the Wiggo's out of the lamp

???
  • fleshtuxedo
    "MrT wrote:
    I think the Wiggo's out of the lamp

???
    [/quote]

Ignore me misreading
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Oh good, so this is what we're going to talk about endlessly until the Tour starts... and then we can look forward to lots of "WIWWH?" (What If Wiggins Was Here) if/when the wheels starting falling off for Sky. Wonderful.

I think what Froome did in 2012 gets blown out of proportion. It's not like he rode off into the distance instead of coming back when he was told to, and he didn't cause Wiggins to lose any time either. What Wiggins did last year with all his talk of doing the Giro+Tour was worse IMO. I don't know if Froome has the final say on his team or not, I don't know (like most of you) what's going on within Sky in any detail, but if I was him I'd want people with me I didn't have any doubts about. If you're a GT contender in the TdF (and defending champion too) I think you want to minimise the potential sources of conflict and stress in your own team because you have more than enough to worry about already! If that means leaving Wiggins out, that's how it has to be. There was a bit in the recent Cycling Podcast where they were talking about how it's a British thing to always try to include "star players" in a team (particularly in football) without really thinking through how much sense it makes, while other countries have no issues leaving out a superstar who won't fit into their team. This is a good example of applying that rule.

If Wiggins was likely to be at Sky for several more years things might be different, but if he's going to leave after this season there's not much incentive for Froome to work things out with him.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,536
    Key to all this is whether Wiggins would have been a good domestique, so how many times has Wiggins worked for someone else? Copenhagen, Champs-Élysées (at a push), any others?
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    MrT wrote:
    I think the Wiggo's out of the lamp.....was what was said this am probably mischief making in a humble type of way...very likely....press will be all over this until the tour starts when they'll be all over it even more. It will run and run in numerous ways and the problem now is whatever anyone connected with Sky says or BC or any other time for that matter..it will be seized upon and wrung and spun.

A competent executive would have had a communications strategy in place to respond to this inevitable spike in negative publicity, bordering on incredulity, directed at his organisation. There are many exceptionally intelligent people working in media outfits. Not many of the in Sky Corporation, apparently.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    I think I might have to get one of these:

https://twitter.com/velocast/status/474 ... 52/photo/1
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    you are aware that Wiggins has a pre Sky road career and wasn't team leader?
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Key to all this is whether Wiggins would have been a good domestique, so how many times has Wiggins worked for someone else? Copenhagen, Champs-Élysées (at a push), any others?

Well he wasnt always a star rider - who was he with before - Cofidis and others ? I cant remember the details now - but he must have done his turn then.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,536
    Yes, I'm aware, and I remember what Millar had to say about his time at Garmin. At Confidis he rode the TTs.
  • Richmond Racer
    TheBigBean wrote:

Just off the top of my head:

-Domestique in various capacities at every team inc FDJ, CA and Cofidis
    -Worked for Cav etc in 08
    -Acted as helper at Garmin till things swapped around between him and CVV in the Tour
    -2012: in the maillot jaune, chased down LL Sanchez etc to set things up for EBH to try to get the win on st 13.
    I think the reference to working for Cav on the Champs 'at a push' is a little naughty on your part. What other maillot jaune wearer in recent times has stick their nose in the air till they're safely over the finish line?
    -2012: rode like a beast for Cav in the Olympic RR, even coming back again to the front after he'd blown on the way back in from Putney Bridge
    -2013 - rode as a domestique for Froome in Oman, and get a shedload of work according to observers
    -2014 - domestique for Porte in Ruta del Sol - loads of work on the flat. Ditto for Porte at T-A.

That the kind of thing your
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Ultimately from the outside it looks as though Wiggins felt betrayed in 2012 - and going by the whole DB mantra of 1 GC rider surely this means that there was never any question as to who was leading that team in 2012. Froome attacked his leader in yellow, everyone saw that. He may be p*ssed he never got his chance for GC, but that surely should be directed at Sky, not Wiggins?
    He didn't attack the yellow jersey though. That seems conceived wisdom in some circles now, but it was more securing a 2nd spot in GC and stage victory.
  • Richmond Racer
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Yes, I'm aware, and I remember what Millar had to say about his time at Garmin. At Confidis he rode the TTs.

so the rest of the time he was in the team car?

Come on Bean, you know better than this
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    cougie wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Well he wasnt always a star rider - who was he with before - Cofidis and others ? I cant remember the details now - but he must have done his turn then.

2009 he ended up 4th (3rd?) due to the support he was initially giving at Garmin for Vandevelde. In 2012 didn't he also help bring Cav back for that stage win where they closed LLS out in the final metres?
  • Richmond Racer
    edited June 2014
    FJS wrote:
    He didn't attack the yellow jersey though. That seems conceived wisdom in some circles now, but it was more securing a 2nd spot in GC and stage victory.

What he did do, FJS - and this is unarguable, even he has admitted it - was to disobey team orders. He was told he could push on to try for the win if Wiggins was safe, with either 1 or 2km to go (cant remember which). And all that morning in the team bus he kept on pushing to be allowed to attack further out - 5km, 4km - and was told no every time.

So he went ahead and did it anyway. And the point he made in the process was a great Brucie bonus. And it made Wiggins very insecure and uncertain re Froome sticking to team orders on other stages. And not just Wiggins - the Road to Glory Sky doco covering the Tour, shows Yates and Brailsford amongst others, not exactly sure whether he would, either.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited June 2014
    The final lap of the Worlds road race in 2011. Still, that was always Cav's race.
This discussion has been closed.