Froome on Wiggins and more

Comments

• antsmithmk
    antsmithmk Posts: 717
    Its a shame Wiggo isn't a few years younger... Would be nice to see him go elsewhere and try and stick one on Froome and sky. I admit I was caught up in the Sky fever post 2010 but this has left a sour taste. I can't warm to Froome at all.
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    antsmithmk wrote:
    Its a shame Wiggo isn't a few years younger... Would be nice to see him go elsewhere and try and stick one on Froome and sky. I admit I was caught up in the Sky fever post 2010 but this has left a sour taste. I can't warm to Froome at all.

Being younger won't get him up the mountains quicker than Froome. Froome is the Sky man.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    TMR wrote:

Grand plan. We could have a re-run of the 2009 Astana shenanigans.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    The bottom line is, what a waste of resources.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    VO2min wrote:
    I wonder what Wiggin's response would be if he was offered the ride in return for a clause that said he doesn't get the last 6 months of his salary if he contravenes team orders.

I would speculate that this would be just the kind of thing that would get Wiggins ride and then absolutely contravene team orders and say 'stuff the money, I've plenty already and Jerry Ryan or Oleg are about to pay me more just to pi$$ Dave off. Feel motivated now Chris?' :wink:
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Interesting article I saw about it just now

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/spo ... 4060687317
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,159
    avn6gm.jpg

:lol: I think he's over-estimating the stupidity of cycling fans if he thinks anyone is swallowing that.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    adr82 wrote:
    It's really not bullshit. As Rich pointed out, they were no doubt thinking of the regular well-publicised episodes of dithering over selections for the England international team, understandably because football being so popular makes it easier to grasp for their listeners who may be less familiar with cycling. Someone new to the sport who only knows Wiggins is an ex-TDF winner might not understand why he wouldn't be an automatic pick, while they might "get it" if you link it to something like the Lampard vs Gerrard show. I don't see why you have a problem with what they said. I think you're just being overly picky about the British/football part (despite it being essentially irrelevant to the real point) for reasons best known to yourself. It might not have been the best way of putting it but it obviously wasn't bullshit either.

I think we know why they were using a football analogy but thanks.

I don't have a "problem" with what they said, I think is is factually incorrect and provided examples to demonstrate why. OK maybe bullshit was a bit blunt but it sums it up. It's an example of people wanting to turn an isolated incident into a general rule.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Pross wrote:
    avn6gm.jpg

:lol: I think he's over-estimating the stupidity of cycling fans if he thinks anyone is swallowing that.
    Would this be Wiggins the well-known one-paced diesel who was struggling to hold a steady pace then?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    Btw folks, Crankbrother says:

Bwahahahahaha

I don't know why he wants me to post that in fact:

The above post has nothing to do with Pinarello001 and I lay no claim to any offence caused by it, their relatives or anyone connected to Pinarello001 Waste Management Inc. Any similarities to persons living or otherwise can just bugger off to the Crudcatcher and make their complaints there.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    FWIW

Got to page 16, so don't be too hard on me if it was mentioned.

Hinault and Lemond were on the same squad and we all know what PR farce that led to but the difference was that Hinault did come back and help Lemond.
    I don't think that Wiggins could win the tour again - he'd need a tow rope to Froome after Froome towed him up every climb in '12. A split in the team however could be interesting and open the door for Contador. I'm a poet and I don't know it.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    "PR farce", well there may have been some shrill paranoid ramblings from Kathy and Greg about "sabotage" and the Badger was a bit naughty about pushing the young lad to make him earn the win, but it was great to watch and I doubt that sponsors are really unhappy about a bit of "polemica" (sounds better in Italian).
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    "A competent executive" – cycling is indeed the new golf. :lol:
    Building A Positive Success Culture - The Sir Dave Brailsford Way...

Negative people feed off negative results. It confirms their view that everything is wrong, and it is everybody else's fault! The good news is that there are ways to turn this around.

Sir Dave Brailsford has transformed British Cycling. He has mastered the critical details that lead to success, and delivered household-name Olympic Gold medallists and Tour De France champions, with his simple but highly effective leadership strategies.

The beauty of Sir Dave's work, is that is it easily transferable into any business. And The Twelfth Player seminar will show you easy to implement, practical ways in which you can transform your business immediately, and beat the doom-mongers, the Sir Dave Brailsford Way.

http://www.themartineffect.co.uk/the_twelfth_player_motivational_seminar_for_business.htm

Brailsford is very good at this stuff (or his career palmares was unimpeachable in the results business until sometime fairly recently). There's an excellent video somewhere of him conversing with Martin Sorrell of WPP.

I frankly love the fact that the chaotic combination of humans, bikes and tarmac can seemingly reduce a great leader to the status of mediocre Area Supervisor.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • cp_rider
    cp_rider Posts: 15
    Well, along with everyone else I wanted somewhere to vent my feelings about the Froome/Wiggo saga. I think it's crazy that one of Britain's most decorated cyclists, and one of the key figures in Britain becoming more of a cycling nation. I understand where the team are coming from with it, but it worked perfectly well in 2012... In fact, even though they didn't like each other, and Wiggo nearly left, their tour was more of a success than anticipated with a one, two overall.

I personally don't think Froome stands a chance against the contenders this year, especially if contador is riding well. Last year it was clear that the team around him were no where near as good as the team Wiggo had. Yes he still won, but there was no real threats. This year there are more threats and with a lot of team sky having been sick, and Porte barely having finished a race this year, Froome has no real support. We saw in California with wiggins, granted there were no real climbers there, but he was riding a very strong pace on the front for the final climb every stage, Froome needs someone who can sit at that high threshold for long periods of time, to stop attacks coming.

Some people are saying that it's all brailsford's decision, and others are saying it's all Froome. Wiggins, who has been the leader of the team before stated that Froome would have had a big say in who rode with him, yes brailsford probably had the last say, but he won't force an unwelcome rider into the team because Froome would throw his toys out of the pram.

I think with the nature of this years course, including the cobble sections etc. Wiggo would be a huge help. If Froome crashes in the cobbles like Wiggo a few years ago, the team are well and turkey screwed, no one else on their team is capable of a top three in their current condition, and it could easily end up being just like the Giro for them this year, with one or two riders attempting to go for a few stage wins, but nothing really coming off.

I think this decision could haunt them and they may as well kiss this season goodbye. We can wait and see if Wiggo does anything at the Vuelta but I've got a feeling this season for sky could be quite a disappointment.

Anyway that's my rant done, carry on.
  • cp_rider
    Oh... I also forgot, people who are saying it's because Wiggo is not on form. ??????!!!!!! He just won't the tour of California, he's climbing well, he rode well in the classics, has done more than Froome has this year... And is in far better shape IMHO compared to a rider like Porte who has hardly any racing days in his legs this year.

OK. Rant officially over now.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    cp_rider wrote:

Better out than in, I always say.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • UncleMonty
    UncleMonty Posts: 385
    Wow, this threads had a lot of traffic in 24hrs

I'd like to have seen Brad ride but I understand why they've left him out, the team will now have to put up with ackward repetetive questions from now untill the end of the tour, but it wont matter a jot, doesnt really weaken the team, if (when) Froome wins all this drama will just be a footnote to another tour (hopefully a good one).

Some of the comments about Froom as rider are just laughable, a boring rider, come on, just what is it you want to see ? he's a brave rider, a balls out attacker, he has nothing missing from his game.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    iainf72 wrote:
    Wondering if Froome wanted to delay his autobiography until end of year as he knew he wouldn't have to worry about Wiggins then.
    But to delay until then would mean being extremely confident he can win the race next month. To lose would definitely affect sales, so the publisher has opted to get the book out now.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,654
    cp_rider wrote:
    Oh... I also forgot, people who are saying it's because Wiggo is not on form. ??????!!!!!! He just won't the tour of California, he's climbing well, he rode well in the classics, has done more than Froome has this year... And is in far better shape IMHO compared to a rider like Porte who has hardly any racing days in his legs this year.

Winning the Tour of California doesn't say much tbh, given it's a chipper.

Riding well in April is no indicator of what will happen in July either.

Is certainly in better condition so far than Porte, but then, as we know, Sky put as much focus on training performance as race performance, and I would presume they're getting the right numbers out of Porte to show he is coming good for France.

Let's see in the Dauphine eh? That's what it's there for ;).
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    cp_rider wrote:

I personally don't think Froome stands a chance against the contenders this year, especially if contador is riding well. Last year it was clear that the team around him were no where near as good as the team Wiggo had. Yes he still won, but there was no real threats. This year there are more threats and with a lot of team sky having been sick, and Porte barely having finished a race this year, Froome has no real support. We saw in California with wiggins, granted there were no real climbers there, but he was riding a very strong pace on the front for the final climb every stage, Froome needs someone who can sit at that high threshold for long periods of time, to stop attacks coming.

Froome absolutely destroyed Nibali a few weeks back at Romandie. At least year's Tour, the weak team you mentioned left Contador breathing out his behind on the first summit finish.

Froome will podium if he gets to Paris. Whether it's 1st, 2nd or 3rd time will tell, but he's more than an equal for any of the GC contenders.

This week at the Dauphine will reveal a lot about what's going to happen at the Tour and the various contenders' current level of form.

Wiggins' disruptive influence is the last thing CF needs. It seems his fanboys are also unrequired.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,654
    Froome will podium if he gets to Paris. .

Get out!!
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I fully agree with cp_rider.
    Of course Froome has a huge say in team makeup as does a captain in Rugby. Froome will have had his ear bent byu his manic missus for the last year again so even if he was considering having Wiggo in his team he would probably had a sex ban imposed.
    I do not understand the reasoning of DBF, he seems to have lost the plot over the last year.
    It is ridiculous not to take your strongest team, irrespective of personal differences.
    It only takes one slip on the cobbles or on a nervous stage, or loss of time on the cobbles , and they will have no chance to win the tour. Have they forgotten what happened to Wiggo when he crashed out couple years back? Last year G broke his pelvis.
    It is not always about form, it does not matter what power output Froome is currently doing if he is on his arse in a ditch following a crash, they need a plan B.
    I cannot believe they could not manage the team with both of them in the team.
    I have always supported team sky but I am half hoping it goes tits up for them in the first week and some surprise riders pops up and wins.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    If I've got this right, people would be happy for Froome to win if Wiggins is in squad.

If he's not, they hope he falls off and breaks something.

Pretty grown up really.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Think Sky have took a big risk here. As said there's no plan b.

Wiggo would be a massive help on the cobbles.

If anything happens to G in the first few days Froome could be in trouble.

Mick Rogers may win the tour for Bertie.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    iainf72 wrote:
    If I've got this right, people would be happy for Froome to win if Wiggins is in squad.

Pretty grown up really.

No you've got it wrong, nobody actually wants Froome to fall off and break something.

Some just disapprove of the way Froome has acted and consequently hope he fails at the Tour - it would be odd to disapprove yet hope he won by 10 minutes.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • cp_rider
    cp_rider wrote:

Winning the Tour of California doesn't say much tbh, given it's a chipper.

Riding well in April is no indicator of what will happen in July either.

Is certainly in better condition so far than Porte, but then, as we know, Sky put as much focus on training performance as race performance, and I would presume they're getting the right numbers out of Porte to show he is coming good for France.

Let's see in the Dauphine eh? That's what it's there for ;).

Point take, I see where you're coming from. I just feel like Wiggo has better form than some of the other riders who have been put on the team. Although of course there is always the question of whether Wiggo would actually ride hard and support Froome. I guess we'll never know. I look forward to seeing if he does anything in the Dauphine... We'll have to wait and see ;)
  • cp_rider
    iainf72 wrote:

Pretty grown up really.

Personally I don't have a lot of time for Froome. I hope this years tour is a bit more exciting than the last couple of years. Yes I was ecstatic when a Brit won, and I've been happy with the outcome both years.... But I want the racing to be lit up a bit more... If you get what I mean. Last year was an improvement on 2012... But although I hate contador... I LOVE the way he rides and he never fails to light up the stages.
  • cp_rider
    cp_rider wrote:

Froome absolutely destroyed Nibali a few weeks back at Romandie. At least year's Tour, the weak team you mentioned left Contador breathing out his behind on the first summit finish.

Froome will podium if he gets to Paris. Whether it's 1st, 2nd or 3rd time will tell, but he's more than an equal for any of the GC contenders.

This week at the Dauphine will reveal a lot about what's going to happen at the Tour and the various contenders' current level of form.

Wiggins' disruptive influence is the last thing CF needs. It seems his fanboys are also unrequired.

Ok I'd completely forgotten about Romandie... I think it's true the Dauphine will give us a good idea of whose on form both leaders and supporting riders. I know what you mean with Froome not needing wiggins disruptivness etc. but it would make for some great racing if we could have another hinault/lemond.... But if I was a rider... I'd agree with the decision. But as a selfish spectator, I want the race to be as exciting as possible.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    UncleMonty wrote:
    Wow, this threads had a lot of traffic in 24hrs

I'd like to have seen Brad ride but I understand why they've left him out, the team will now have to put up with ackward repetetive questions from now untill the end of the tour, but it wont matter a jot, doesnt really weaken the team, if (when) Froome wins all this drama will just be a footnote to another tour (hopefully a good one).

Some of the comments about Froom as rider are just laughable, a boring rider, come on, just what is it you want to see ? he's a brave rider, a balls out attacker, he has nothing missing from his game.

the only thing boring about froome's riding is that he's been so much better than anyone else the last couple of years. if the teams cancel each other out and it comes down to a battle of strength i expect froome to win by at least a couple of minutes. however i think the lack of wiggins on the road and the attention it will put on froome during the race could be the thing that means sky are more than cancelled out.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
This discussion has been closed.