Santa Cruz Nomad 650b build

Comments

• lappymatt
    lappymatt Posts: 331
    I can see Aqua decals working well replacing the orange. Kashima works though. Matches the maxxis logo.

exactly my thoughts

image.jpg
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    That's perfect right there.

Deposit put down at Sids Bikes btw.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    meta55matt wrote:
    I can see Aqua decals working well replacing the orange. Kashima works though. Matches the maxxis logo.

exactly my thoughts

image.jpg

Thanks for doing them, Ive since been onto Slik :lol:

Had a small off on the Nomad tonight, pushing hard for a KOM. No major damage, scuffed rear mech and a chaffed grip and end plug. Going to drop a fair few PSI from the tyres to generate a bit more grip, especially on the front.
  • BloggingFit
    I run my fronts fairly soft compared to the rear to limit washout and get a more rear biased feel to the bike. I'd rather deal with oversteer on a bike than understeer.
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    Sadly I let my mate set my tyre pressures the other day as they were a bit low and I never checked, front is considerably harder than i'd usually ride. Both are at 35psi, I'm usually use 25ish front 30 rear.
  • BloggingFit
    I suffer from tyre pressure OCD in that respect.
  • How are your initials feelings on the Fox 36?
  • How are your initials feelings on the Fox 36?

I really like it, it feels very plush but yet controlled. I'd have one over a Pike as long as you are not too bothered about any form of platform on the fork for climbing. I'm still dialling mine in and keep making little adjustments, its definitely getting better and better.
  • That's reassuring to know. Climbing wouldn't be such an issue as I leave my Pikes fully open all the time.

Did you go 160mm over 170mm?
  • That's reassuring to know. Climbing wouldn't be such an issue as I leave my Pikes fully open all the time.

Did you go 160mm over 170mm?

170mm it is the only one to have on a Nomad :D Its axle to crown is only something like 3-5mm longer than a Pike at 160mm.
  • Awesome stuff and would be my preference over the lottery of a 170mm Deville. Good to see the Solo back as well!
  • What do people think:
    2B9CE6B3-6265-4DD2-9088-E9CDB3B520E3.jpg
    12E94BCE-DB31-421E-BE6B-9155135DDD86.jpg
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    looks rubbish :lol:
  • I wonder what having the 36 or the circle around it in aqua would look to break up the magenta a little...
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    What do people think:
    2B9CE6B3-6265-4DD2-9088-E9CDB3B520E3.jpg
    12E94BCE-DB31-421E-BE6B-9155135DDD86.jpg

It's a nice bike.. but I wouldnt go that colour scheme myself :P

a bit to lurid for my taste.

Ripper of a build mind
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Fork decals should be blue like the frame, if we're nit picking! :)

Still one of my favourite builds ever though :D
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Really nice build. The purple makes the bike really stand out.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    I think to only way the nomad could be better was if it was the stealth nomad with the limited stealth fox forks with all black stealth parts.. that would be stealthy

Back on earth, your nomad is awesome rick, I think the decals work well
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Personally I think I'd like to see a different colour on the forks. Possibly yellow?...but maybe that's just me - remember, I'm the only one on here that doesn't dig the RS black stanchions!

But yeah - what a build, great stuff
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I wonder what having the 36 or the circle around it in aqua would look to break up the magenta a little...
    this, imo
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • lappymatt
    lappymatt Posts: 331
    should of done what I photoshopped on the last page :D:D:D

image.jpg
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Yeah, that ^^ :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    yeah, if I'm not allowed yellow than this ^^
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Hey man, Im building one myself, how is the DBCS feel on the bike? wheight? using 170mm or 160mm?..I cant decide between a kirk, void, monarch, vivid, DBCS... pike or deville... ASDOASOPDA HELP!!!!! im building mine next week!

cheers!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    According to tf tuned the ccdbair are all rubbish if your over 80kg, something to do with the damping...

I'll be going Kirk at some point although the void is a wonderful idea!!! Got devilles up front, pikes are great and brilliant forks, but the devilles are just amazing, the harder and faster you go, the better they get. They simply step up to anything (anything I ride that is)
  • I really like the Double Barrel Air. The CS is great, it makes the shock stiffen on climbing but not too much, its weird, switch it on and ride around don't the car park test and you don't notice it at all really. Flick it when climbing and it stiffens it up very nicely.

I like it so much I have a Cane Creek Inline for my Solo!
  • According to tf tuned the ccdbair are all rubbish if your over 80kg, something to do with the damping...

I'll be going Kirk at some point although the void is a wonderful idea!!! Got devilles up front, pikes are great and brilliant forks, but the devilles are just amazing, the harder and faster you go, the better they get. They simply step up to anything (anything I ride that is)
    I just ordered my nomad, starting with a monarch and Deville 170mm(trying to build more of a trail bike because I already own a Devinci Wilson carbon with Bos Void & Idylle Rare.
    The void is the best DH shock ive ever had and only wheigts +/-500gms! and with the right settings should be an awesome option for the nomad! but not very pedal effecient in my opinion..the void is a really REALLY sensitive shock, not like other airshocks on the market!
    To be honest I've never liked CCDB air, I've tried a few and was not impressed. totally a different story the first time I tried the Void! then again the CS version should be great for enduro but I was also really impressed with the monarch plus performance! it has that infinite travel feeling of a DH shock!
  • Hated the Monarch Debonair I got on it, if it had got a Float X it would still have that on it, the Monarch either sat too deep in its travel and got a decent amount of travel out of it on big hits making for a ride that wallowed or it sat high in its travel and got nowhere near full travel. A few others have had the same issue, I just never got liked it at all but then I have never got on with RS shocks tbh.

Been to the Lakes for the past few days on it. Its highlighted a number of my own deficiencies that I am going to work very hard on and also a few areas of the Nomad I want to work on, namely the front fork tune and the rear shock tune, just going to be a case of trying different things out on them both, one change at a time.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Interesting Rick, I guess different shocks perform differently on different bikes. My monarch plus debonair is faultless. I am simply amazed. Much prefer it to my old CCDB and in a different planet from any of my old fox rear cans, albeit I have never used a float x.
  • Got some new cranks for the Nomad, wanted to drop to 170mm from 175's to give a bit more pedal clearance.

10C4EC20-ADE6-4F3B-A960-18845290497F.jpg
    6ABF2B34-8F0E-48BF-8416-7F508F6B0C21.jpg
    All fitted and ready to ride tomorrow:
    874984FC-C603-45C2-AB0D-7EED49B75930.jpg
    Not a bad weight for a 165/170mm bike :D :
    DABF414E-D933-4CC1-A737-1A4EF2CFE1A0.jpg