2015 Transfers / Rumours and real

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    Well I was referring to the road. Sky are a road race team.

Only nominally. Like any pro team they're a marketing enterprise. It just happens that in Britain track racing is eminently marketable, at least at Olympic level. They'd be happy with an hour attempt, a decent showing in some spring classics, some TTing etc. They'll get the exposure they want from him and will happily take all the credit they can for any track success.

It's not a lazy option by any means, and drawing conclusions about Wiggins' motivation was a cheap shot.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • OPQS
    OPQS Posts: 187
    Wasn't there talk of Wiggins going to Garmin Sharp?
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    Surprised Wiggins has opted to stay at Sky.

All the posturing in the press by both sides so far this summer has hinted that he would be off.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I personally would love to see Wiggins nail P-R and the Hour before he retires. He could then I think be quite realistically described as the best all rounder of his generation.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Pity. That's a road team slot that could have gone to young British rider. If he wants to ride the track he should join the track squad.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Well I'm disappointed. I'd like to see him have a real go at the spring classics but sadly I can't see him giving it 100%.

It just feels a bit like he's given up - yes I know they don't hand out places on the team pursuit squad in cereal packets but at the same time TdF winners generally keep coming back until the world knows they are past it - they don't give up 9 months later after one poor Giro.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194
    Well I'm disappointed. I'd like to see him have a real go at the spring classics but sadly I can't see him giving it 100%.

Wiggins has said that P-R is his main target for 2015. Is that not a "real go" at the spring classics?

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/bradley-wiggins-target-paris-roubaix-hour-record-130180
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Interesting, Brailsford says he hasn't signed. They're met his agent but nothing down and signed yet
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Macaloon wrote:
    Pity. That's a road team slot that could have gone to young British rider. If he wants to ride the track he should join the track squad.

Will you say the same if he takes a top ten at P-R, or a podium, or wins the bloody thing?
  • OPQS
    OPQS Posts: 187
    Macaloon wrote:

Will you say the same if he takes a top ten at P-R, or a podium, or wins the bloody thing?

Didn't he get a top 10 at PRB this year?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    OPQS wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

Didn't he get a top 10 at PRB this year?

Yes, 9th.
  • Macaloon
    edited July 2014
    Macaloon wrote:

Wiggo's Olympic aspirations have all the sporting authenticity of Beckham's legacy-enhancing LA Galaxy stunt. He (Wiggins) should be hammered for his pathetic results since Summer 2012.

I can see the commercial rationale, but if what Sky need is another star rider not contributing on the road, Dave's going to need a third side to his face for the team building circuit.

Edit: As to P-R, Thomas rode for him in the final this year. After his shenanigans around the grand depart, why would he willingly do the same again? And can you really see him sacrifice himself for Thomas? Sad state of affairs.
  • r0bh
    Macaloon wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

Wiggo's Olympic aspirations have all the sporting authenticity of Beckham's legacy-enhancing LA Galaxy stunt. He (Wiggins) should be hammered for his pathetic results since Summer 2012.

Pathetic results that include 2013 ToB stage win and GC, 2013 Worlds TT silver, 2014 P-R top ten and 2014 AToC stage win and GC.

I think the vast majority of the peloton would be extremely happy with those pathetic results.
  • Macaloon
    r0bh wrote:
    Pathetic results that include 2013 ToB stage win and GC, 2013 Worlds TT silver, 2014 P-R top ten and 2014 AToC stage win and GC.

I think the vast majority of the peloton would be extremely happy with those pathetic results.

You forgot the work on the front for Froome at Oman & Worlds in Florence. Was before the cameras, mind.

So he won a few chippers. The Brailsford method is supposed to be all about performance. Wiggins is being paid for the clicks he generates completely undermining the ethos of the team.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    But, at the end of the day, paying for them
  • r0bh
    Macaloon wrote:
    r0bh wrote:

You forgot the work on the front for Froome at Oman & Worlds in Florence. Was before the cameras, mind.

So he won a few chippers. The Brailsford method is supposed to be all about performance. Wiggins is being paid for the clicks he generates completely undermining the ethos of the team.

The Worlds TT is a chipper... OK then.

We get it. You don't like Wiggins. That's fine.
  • Macaloon
    coriordan wrote:

Commercially yes. But it's a team berth that could go to a young rider, or at least one capable of competing in a GT. Kennaugh etc could take care of ToB, ToC etc.
  • Macaloon
    Wrong thread. deleted
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    Deleted, wrong thread.

DD.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Macaloon wrote:
    coriordan wrote:

Commercially yes. But it's a team berth that could go to a young rider, or at least one capable of competing in a GT. Kennaugh etc could take care of ToB, ToC etc.
    Kennaugh - I really like the guy but he'd still be well beaten by Wiggo on any parcours you could put together.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Macaloon
    r0bh wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:
    r0bh wrote:

The Worlds TT is a chipper... OK then.

We get it. You don't like Wiggins. That's fine.

Worlds TT - other riders manage to combine a season of racing with a tilt at the worlds. I never said it was a chipper. And he didn't win.

Wiggins' 2012 Tour win is my all-time sporting highlight. I think his 'people' should be ashamed of the way they've tarnished a legend. Nothing to do with dislike of Wiggins.
  • Macaloon
    Daz555 wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:
    coriordan wrote:

Kennaugh - I really like the guy but he'd still be well beaten by Wiggo on any parcours you could put together.

Maybe Wiggo should ride a few races then?
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    r0bh wrote:

Wiggins has said that P-R is his main target for 2015. Is that not a "real go" at the spring classics?

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/bradley-wiggins-target-paris-roubaix-hour-record-130180
    I'd like to see him at the other spring classics, including De Omloop, E3, KBK, etc, he could do damage there. not just the 2 monuments that get most publicity.
    Excited about the hour record, hope it materialises
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Macaloon wrote:

If it' one of his targets someone of his status surely can't aim for top 10 in a classic (which is fairly meaningless anyway). He should be in it to win it
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    Yup.
  • r0bh
    FJS wrote:
    If it' one of his targets someone of his status surely can't aim for top 10 in a classic (which is fairly meaningless anyway). He should be in it to win it

Wiggins targetted Paris-Roubaix this year, placing a creditable ninth. Next year, he says it will be his main season aim: “I rode this year but next year I want to win it. It’ll be my big goal for 2015.”

Happy now?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Wouldnt be surprised to see Tony Martin leave OPQS. Apparently he wasn't so happy with all the support put behind Cavendish and is realising that he could do well in GC in the future if he has a team fully around him.

“The TDS has shown me that I can keep up in the mountains. The fact that I lost the yellow had nothing to do with my condition, but was due to other circumstances,” Martin said.

“Tony wins as Eddy Merckx once did,” Lefevere praised the German rider.

“I would like to conclude the negotiations by the end of the Tour,” he added, asked about Martin’s contract extension.

In the same time, German rider’s agent Jörg Werner indicated that Martin received several offers from different directions, all worth being considered before making the final decision.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Stefan Küng to BMC from the development team.

Dylan Theuns joins him on a three year contract.

Teuns won a stage of the Tour de Bretagne on the way to a runner-up finish overall. He was second in the Under 23 edition of Liège-Bastogne-Liège in April and second in the elite version of Omloop Het Nieuwsblad in July. Last year, the 22-year-old Belgian was a stage winner at Triptyque Ardennaise and finished third in the Under 23 edition of Ronde de l'Isard d'Ariège.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    r0bh wrote:

You misunderstand me sir, I know Wiggins is talking about winning Paris Roubaix but I doubt he will really have the motivation to get into his best form for that because at the back of his mind he must be thinking he should be the team leader for the Tour. I thought he had talked about trying to win PR this year and while he did well he rode fairly conservatively and was never really in the mix to win it - one short lived dig which never got off the front of the group excepted.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • frenchfighter
    edited July 2014
    Gerrans extends for three years.
    Contador is the Greatest