2015 Transfers / Rumours and real

Comments

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    the Inner Ring ‏@inrng ·13 mins
    L'Equipe reports Giant-Shimano still hunting for sponsorship for 2015. Riders getting offers from other teams including Barguil from Sky.

It's like Highroad 2.0
    Correlation is not causation.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,929
    Great opportunity for a German company brave enough to get into cycling sponsorship.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    RideOnTime wrote:
    iainf72 to Cyclechat
    frenchfighter to RCUK
    Napoleon D to Velorooms
    TailWindHome to BNA
    SadlyWiggins to YACF
    :)
    :D
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Pross wrote:
    Geraint recently said he wants to concentrate on stage racing over the Classics (wrong decision IMHO but it's his career and he must think he has what it takes) so from that point of view I would have thought OGE or possibly BMC although in both cases he could probably get protected status in Classics. I can't see him moving though.

Just been reminded of something. Stannard was supposed to have initially refused to re-sign last year. Negotiations went on till pretty much the end of the season, and he ended up with his big pay increase.

His agent: Andrew McQuaid. G's agent? Andrew McQuaid.

Lets see how this all plays out.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Great opportunity for a German company brave enough to get into cycling sponsorship.

this x a very, very large number.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    Just been reminded of something. Stannard was supposed to have initially refused to re-sign last year. Negotiations went on till pretty much the end of the season, and he ended up with his big pay increase.
    I get the impression that Brailsford's initial offers for renewals are pretty lowball figures with an expectation of negotiation regardless. I think this is particularly true of British riders who have previously been on slightly ramshackle teams like Barloworld or ISD. (If nothing else Sky offers lock solid security). Better the devil you know, and all that. For example the reported initial offer of 60k to Froome in 2011. That's stupidly low for rider who had started to put in some decent performances, if not results, prior to the Vuelta. I doubt that would have been a final offer had the Vuelta not happened.

By contrast, he probably overpays for new riders where there is significant interest from other parties.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    The market sets the rate, so I expect if Brailsford wants to keep a rider he'll know what the rate is and will pay it.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • PuttyKnees
    PuttyKnees Posts: 381
    What's the going rate for a non-stellar pro on the world tour? E.g., what's the pay for your bog standard domestique or rider on the fringes of being able to win a decent race?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,308
    iainf72 wrote:
    The market sets the rate, so I expect if Brailsford wants to keep a rider he'll know what the rate is and will pay it.

To a certain extent, yes. But he'll have a (large) budget, and will need to ensure that he gets the best out of it. If keeping G (or anyone else) at their market rate means he's got less for other riders he's interested in then he'll be looking at it very carefully.

And as Rich says, he probably pays over the odds for a few riders he knows he has to have. I guess that makes it their market rate though :-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,471
    PuttyKnees wrote:
    What's the going rate for a non-stellar pro on the world tour? E.g., what's the pay for your bog standard domestique or rider on the fringes of being able to win a decent race?

Is that your suggestion of what Thomas is? I think he's a bit more than that.
  • sportvan
    sportvan Posts: 105
    Bradley Wiggins - Tinkoff- Saxo 2015
  • Pross
    Wiggins to NFTO :wink:
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Tbf the merchandise from John Wood's little business ventures could come in handy....
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Apparently Thor Hushovd's contract with BMC isn't getting renewed :( Retiring, maybe?
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    So I saw my first two people out wearing 'Orange Cycling Team' jerseys yesterday. A few more of them sold and they'll be able to take over Giant-Shimano.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Can't see it posted (but I'm sure it has been somewhere), G is staying at Sky.
  • Pross
    Crampeur wrote:
    Apparently Thor Hushovd's contract with BMC isn't getting renewed :( Retiring, maybe?

I got laughed at for a rumour I'd heard on where Thor will be next season. Let's see if it pans out!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Crampeur wrote:

He wants to ride two more years. I am glad they got rid of him - I have been calling him out for a while.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Arredondo extends for another two years.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,639
    Is it true that he's 29? Late bloomer
  • frenchfighter
    No he is 25. He rode two years with Nippo as Colombia team didnt want him despite him asking them.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Pross wrote:
    I got laughed at for a rumour I'd heard on where Thor will be next season. Let's see if it pans out!

Or you could just stop being a tease and tell us! :)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    TMR wrote:

Well, there's a guy called Oleg involved in the team....
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    iainf72 wrote:
    TMR wrote:

Well, there's a guy called Oleg involved in the team....

Thor's a hitter so would have to wear SAS camouflage :lol:
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464
    Hushovd to NFTO was rumoured on here a few mo the ago.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Pross
    gsk82 wrote:

Yep, by me in the Domestic Pro Scene thread. It got 'you must be joking' responses but with Blythe there and the money they have it never seemed completely ridiculous.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Pross wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

Yep, by me in the Domestic Pro Scene thread. It got 'you must be joking' responses but with Blythe there and the money they have it never seemed completely ridiculous.

Didn't Haussler go there as well? Or was that somewhere else?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    TMR wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

Didn't Haussler go there as well? Or was that somewhere else?
    He's at IAM
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    “If Sagan joins the team it would be incredible. He’s a rider with a lot of class, he’s very strong and he wins a lot of races. He can control a race, and he can win a race so if he comes to our team then it would be very good news. The entire team, all the guys, would be happy to welcome here. I don’t think [two leaders in the team] would be a problem. There’s a big calendar for everyone to have goals and of course it’s important to remember that Peter helped Vincenzo Nibali to third at the Tour de France in 2012 and won the green jersey himself. So there’ wouldn’t be a problem."
    -Contador
    Contador is the Greatest