2015 Transfers / Rumours and real

Comments

• Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Aru rumored to Sky or BMC but agent said he is contracted and has no offers (I highly doubt he would move).
    Geraint to leave Sky (cant meet wag demands)

https://audioboo.fm/boos/2221073-sky-s- ... ur#t=2m38s

This is my favourite typo ever :)

:lol:

He should get a good increase if he went to a 'classics' team and focused just on that...would love it if he did but wouldnt mind if he stayed at sky to do it...may even be better for the fans.

Why can't he be the next Kwiatkowski?
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Macaloon wrote:
    Aru rumored to Sky or BMC but agent said he is contracted and has no offers (I highly doubt he would move).

:lol:

He should get a good increase if he went to a 'classics' team and focused just on that...would love it if he did but wouldnt mind if he stayed at sky to do it...may even be better for the fans.

Good point. Needs to stay upright, mind.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Wellens extends with Lotto:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wellens ... to-belisol
    Macaloon wrote:

Kwaitek is hors norms. Geraint is not. Very, very few all rounders these days.
    No reason he cant try though.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon wrote:

Seems more realistic than tackling GC, given the talent confirmed at the Giro. I think he's a tough guy to replace.
  • Richmond Racer
    Macaloon wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

Seems more realistic than tackling GC, given the talent confirmed at the Giro. I think he's a tough guy to replace.

And he's a bit of a talisman for Sky. Even people who cant stand the team, tend to like him. Big loss (if Richard Moore's correct)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    G said named the teams that might interest him in a recent interview (CycleSport or Procyling) - Garmin, BMC, OGE...

Think his preference is an English-speaking team
    If Sky can't afford his wage demands then surely Garmin can't. I'd be dubious about Orica too.

The question is what are Sky spending their money on? Froome obviously, but with Wiggins and Edvald both apparently on the move, that's a chunk of change spare. And I would have thought that Thomas would be high on their priority list. Maybe they have broken the bank for Aru.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Macaloon

Wag tailing the Dawg?
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    There was actually a reference to wag demands in the latest cycling podcast, with reference to what's his chops leaving/getting the boot from Mapei partly because of his demanding wife/manager.

I love a bit of inadvertent symbiosis.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Richmond Racer
    RichN95 wrote:
    G said named the teams that might interest him in a recent interview (CycleSport or Procyling) - Garmin, BMC, OGE...

If Sky can't afford his wage demands then surely Garmin can't. I'd be dubious about Orica too.

The question is what are Sky spending their money on? Froome obviously, but with Wiggins and Edvald both apparently on the move, that's a chunk of change spare. And I would have thought that Thomas would be high on their priority list. Maybe they have broken the bank for Aru.

It's a very good question. Their wage bill has shot up over the last couple of years, and Brailsford has a reputation for overspending his budget. Porte signed a new contract for a lot more spondoolies, Stannard got a BIG increase apparently, and I'm sure li'l Pete too.
  • Macaloon
    I love a bit of inadvertent symbiosis.

Everything seems symbiotic after a couple of body-clock adjusters.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    RichN95 wrote:

It's a very good question. Their wage bill has shot up over the last couple of years, and Brailsford has a reputation for overspending his budget. Porte signed a new contract for a lot more spondoolies, Stannard got a BIG increase apparently, and I'm sure li'l Pete too.

Is it 'can't afford' or 'are not prepared to meet' his wage demands? Big difference.
  • RichN95.
    Thinking about it, a possible destination for Thomas could be Tinkoff. They have the cash, they are generally an English speaking team, and their classics rosters is underpowered.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    I don't believe G is going anywhere. Far too important to Sky. Someone would need to offer an awful lot before they won't match.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:
    Thinking about it, a possible destination for Thomas could be Tinkoff. They have the cash, they are generally an English speaking team, and their classics rosters is underpowered.

He'd be number 2 to Sagan
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    iainf72 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

He'd be number 2 to Sagan
    That's true if he goes there. It's going to be a big merry-go-round this year. A lot of big names available.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,103
    Geraint recently said he wants to concentrate on stage racing over the Classics (wrong decision IMHO but it's his career and he must think he has what it takes) so from that point of view I would have thought OGE or possibly BMC although in both cases he could probably get protected status in Classics. I can't see him moving though.
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Is Bernie off from Sky? He must be fairly expensive for team that doesn't have decent sprinter for him to ride for.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Contador to Sky

cycling fans globally rejoice

*Frenchie explodes*
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    the Inner Ring ‏@inrng ·13 mins
    L'Equipe reports Giant-Shimano still hunting for sponsorship for 2015. Riders getting offers from other teams including Barguil from Sky.
  • Pross wrote:
    Geraint recently said he wants to concentrate on stage racing over the Classics (wrong decision IMHO but it's his career and he must think he has what it takes) so from that point of view I would have thought OGE or possibly BMC although in both cases he could probably get protected status in Classics. I can't see him moving though.

He must be thinking he could be the next Adam Yates
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,500
    Kittel to Cannondale...?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    L'Equipe reports Giant-Shimano still hunting for sponsorship for 2015. Riders getting offers from other teams including Barguil from Sky.

Someone should step in to take over GShim...pretty amazing they are looking for sponsorship when they give huge and good publicity. Best value for money team out there.

Why do Sky try and snap up every single talented youngster out there...I would be surprised if Barguil goes there - he is impulsive and loves to attack and will never accept being a cog in the train.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Alonso should buy a team rather than mucking about.

Between Cannondale and Giant there are 2 options right there
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Richmond Racer
    iainf72 wrote:

Exactly. And one of the more sensible things I've heard from Mad Uncle Oleg.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Pross wrote:

Future TdF winner, no?
  • Richmond Racer

Kind of interesting...
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/barguil ... ve-to-wait
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    iainf72 wrote:

Exactly. And one of the more sensible things I've heard from Mad Uncle Oleg.

And the fit with Kittel, Degenkolb and Mezgec and Alonso...
  • Pross
    inseine wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Future TdF winner, no?

Nah, that's Kennaugh! :wink:
  • Pross

Someone should step in to take over GShim...pretty amazing they are looking for sponsorship when they give huge and good publicity. Best value for money team out there.

Why do Sky try and snap up every single talented youngster out there...I would be surprised if Barguil goes there - he is impulsive and loves to attack and will never accept being a cog in the train.

If the team is going to disappear then why shouldn't they look to get a talented youngster? Presumably any team wants the best riders they can get.

It will be a shame if they don't get a sponsor though. How successful do teams need to be to get financial backing these days? It's ridiculous.
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639

Kind of interesting...
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/barguil ... ve-to-wait

Think it would be a very interesting signing. Focus on youth as part of the upcoming contract renewal / transfer merry go around that is coming up would be encouraging.