2015 Transfers / Rumours and real

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

No sure that's the best move for Konig though, unless they've given up on Porte and don't fancy Kennaugh for GTs.
    My guess is that they won't put all their eggs in one basket, unless it's Froome. So I can see two of Porte, Konig, Henao, Roche and maybe Kennaugh (who I actually think will be a better one day racer) being co-leaders in stage races.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Konig is a good signing, he has the potential to be a great GC racer. His TTing is excellent. As you said, Giro as leader plus Tour as a super-domestique. Wonder what they have in store for Roche.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Joelsim wrote:
    Konig is a good signing, he has the potential to be a great GC racer. His TTing is excellent. As you said, Giro as leader plus Tour as a super-domestique. Wonder what they have in store for Roche.

I suppose that's my point, if I were Konig and looking to make the step up, I'd be looking for a team that would guarantee me sole leadership at one of the GTs. I can't see that happening at Sky.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    RichN95 wrote:
    Byxco1dIYAAGDYc.jpg

That's a strong bit of recruitment
    Can't say Fenn looks too exited about the whole deal!
  • Thought SKY wanted some young French riders? Not getting Bardet just signed 3 years for Ag2R and Pinot another 2 (?) FDJ. I think SKY should have got Bouhanni
  • Not really sure why they got Roche, he hasn't done much in ages and I'm sure isn't cheap, for a grunt.
    Maybe they have a sponsors quota of British isle folk to fill?
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Konig, Roche, Porte, Kennaugh, Cataldo, Nieve and Henao all capable of top 10 in a GT, plus of course Froome. Add in the likes of Thomas, Kirienka, Poels and Suitsou and they've got a number of strong options for the stage races. It's whether any of them can step up to be a real contender I suppose.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Not really sure why they got Roche, he hasn't done much in ages and I'm sure isn't cheap, for a grunt.
    Maybe they have a sponsors quota of British isle folk to fill?

Does 5th in last year's Vuelta not count for some reason?
  • Obviously not when you could have paid the winner 50p an hour at the start of the season. How many riders were still riding for GC at the end of that vuelta? Probably about 10 absolute max.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Sky building a squad of super-domestiques to rival Saxo Tinkoff's. Some of them will ride support in the Tour, and some will get the chance to lead in the other GTs.

Plus there's always the chance to lead the squad at the Tour should Froome have issues again.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Byxco1dIYAAGDYc.jpg

Good to see Stephen Gallacher get some requisite appreciation after a great season.

Is Viviani to Sky still on?
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Byxco1dIYAAGDYc.jpg

They are only strong recruits if the right riders leave.
    Wouldn't want to see Cataldo or Stannard depart.
    Presumably Fenn arrives because contrary to Eurosport's bold announcement, there is no sign or signing of Elio Viviani.
    Bit of a bummer, that.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    Presumably Fenn arrives because contrary to Eurosport's bold announcement, there is no sign or signing of Elio Viviani.
    Bit of a bummer, that.
    I think they offer quite a lot in the hilly classics/stage hunting stakes, which is a weakness

How many have got to leave? At least three I think. EBH definitely, Dombrowski probably, Cataldo possibly (although he has an offer). Who else? Pate? Sutton? Zandio? I can't see Stannard leaving unless he gets a big offer elsewhere (not improbable).

As for Fenn - I think he'll fit in well. There's a space available in the classics squad and he can sprint a bit. He was never likely to show much at OPQS with their roster. No Viviani, but still....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Great additions for Sky. Would have liked 1 of the young french stars to sign.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Bit of a bummer, that.
    I think they offer quite a lot in the hilly classics/stage hunting stakes, which is a weakness

How many have got to leave? At least three I think. EBH definitely, Dombrowski probably, Cataldo possibly (although he has an offer). Who else? Pate? Sutton? Zandio? I can't see Stannard leaving unless he gets a big offer elsewhere (not improbable).

As for Fenn - I think he'll fit in well. There's a space available in the classics squad and he can sprint a bit. He was never likely to show much at OPQS with their roster. No Viviani, but still....

Dombrowski is off to Garmin and Zandio is to retire, apparently. So, that would be half covered.

I really thought Viviani would fancy coming to Sky, given he's also a trackie. The benefits would seem obvious.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,446
    Cummings signing for MTN-Qhubeka confirmed.

http://www.teammtnqhubeka.com/?news=ste ... tn-qhubeka
  • Did someone mention Viviani? (and Cobrelli, it seems)
    http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/no ... p?id=75525

:)
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    apparently no room at the EQS inn for Petacchi, Steegmans, and De de Weert...

Also Kevin Reza from Europcar to FDJ
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    dish_dash wrote:
    apparently no room at the EQS inn for Petacchi, Steegmans, and De de Weert...

Also Kevin Reza from Europcar to FDJ

About time Steegmans left and I think Petacchi was more or less planned retirement.

Reza to FDJ is interesting...don't understand that logic although EC do not pay well.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    Reza to FDJ is interesting...don't understand that logic although EC do not pay well.
    They want him as a lead out man for Demare.
  • gpreeves
    gpreeves Posts: 454
    andyp wrote:

It's been said before by others, but I'm not a fan of MTN's recruitment policy for 2015.

I've always viewed the team as a great opportunity to discover and develop talented African riders. While this may still happen, these riders will have fewer opportunities to lead the team with riders like EBH, Cummins, Farrar, Goss and Bos.
  • dish_dash
    Not a rider but... Cyclocosm to CyclingTips!
  • dish_dash
    gpreeves wrote:
    andyp wrote:

It's been said before by others, but I'm not a fan of MTN's recruitment policy for 2015.

I've always viewed the team as a great opportunity to discover and develop talented African riders. While this may still happen, these riders will have fewer opportunities to lead the team with riders like EBH, Cummins, Farrar, Goss and Bos.

I hear you. Don't think the Africa development strategy and philosophy has changed. But they face two challenges, firstly those riders haven't yet fully developed and so at several times they have struggled to perform. They've had their moments, but the Vuelta in particular was a bit of a disappointment. And given that they are looking for big invites, they need a broader squad that will perform.

Also need to consider Cervelo's involvement and particularly Brian Smith and Gerard Vroomen's involvement. They did moneyball once, and I suspect are trying again.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,025
    sjmclean wrote:
    Great additions for Sky. Would have liked 1 of the young french stars to sign.

Looks like 3 climbing domestiques to me with a punt on Konig being able to take over the Porte role as second GC rider. Roche is experienced and can compete in a range of races (without actually winning any) and is fairly visible but I suspect his 5th in the Vuelta is as good as it's going to get unless he is one that really responds to Sky's training methods.

Konig and Fenn look interesting and the rest solid I'd say. Overall though I reckon it's about making them a stronger unit to support Froome in the Tour - they now have options so the loss of a Porte or a Henao wont be as costly.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Sky only have 27 on their roster JTL and Rasche go. EBH and Dombrowski going. That's it, full complement of 30.
  • RichN95.
    Joelsim wrote:
    Sky only have 27 on their roster JTL and Rasche go. EBH and Dombrowski going. That's it, full complement of 30.
    The maximum is actually 28. The last two places (29 & 30) can only be filled by neo-pros - and Henao is their only one (Earle is too old, I think). So at least someone else has to go - Cataldo to Astana probably and Zandio retiring maybe. I can also see someone like Sutton moving on
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Cataldo confirmed to Astana for one year. So says Vino
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,142
    I can't understand why Sky continue with Sutton.
  • RichN95.
    Pross wrote:
    I can't understand why Sky continue with Sutton.
    I think you can make quite a nice career for yourself in teams sports if you are someone people like having around.
  • dish_dash
    And yet let Cataldo go... super domestique, I'm surprised...