2015 Transfers / Rumours and real

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    dish_dash wrote:
    And yet let Cataldo go... super domestique, I'm surprised...
    I guess Astana offered more.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    I can't understand why Sky continue with Sutton.
    I think you can make quite a nice career for yourself in teams sports if you are someone people like having around.

Wasn't it the consensus a while back that Pate filled that role at SKY?
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • RichN95.
    Coach H wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    I think you can make quite a nice career for yourself in teams sports if you are someone people like having around.

Wasn't it the consensus a while back that Pate filled that role at SKY?
    They probably have a few. You need that sort of character. It's partly why Voigt was still going at 42.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    RichN95 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    And yet let Cataldo go... super domestique, I'm surprised...
    I guess Astana offered more.

Cataldo's gone! Didn't expect that but I guess the Giro gave him some ambitions. He is likely called in to help Nibali and then have one GT where he can let loose for stage wins. Definitely not for GC - Aru is miles better than him.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    Damiano Cunego has become a student at Verona University. Whether this means he is retiring or not is uncertain.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,658
    Pross wrote:

From Wikipedia...

"He is the son of NSW Institute of Sport's head cycling coach, Gary Sutton, and nephew of British Cycling track coach, Shane Sutton;"

I'm sure that has nothing to do with it though.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • RichN95.
    Pross wrote:

From Wikipedia...

"He is the son of NSW Institute of Sport's head cycling coach, Gary Sutton, and nephew of British Cycling track coach, Shane Sutton;"

We all know that. He was a pro at Cofidis & Garmin for five years before Sky though, and won a Vuelta stage and Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne so he's no chump.

I think he could still do really well for a Pro Conti team like Drapac, United Health or NetApp.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,658
    RichN95 wrote:
    We all know that. He was a pro at Cofidis & Garmin for five years before Sky though, and won a Vuelta stage and Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne so he's no chump.

I think he could still do really well for a Pro Conti team like Drapac, United Health or NetApp.

I was being slightly facetious I suppose, but I do get Pross's point. He only renewed with Sky this year though - was it a 2 year deal perhaps?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Kevin Reza (Europcar) > FdJ.

I like this.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • So Cataldo to Astana. The thought of his poo brown shoes with smurf blue tights is quite frankly too much for this time of the morning. :shock:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Pross wrote:

From Wikipedia...

Amazing that some people think that the only riders of value are those who win races. Would recommend reading Domestique by Charlie Wegelius (who had a successful career without ever winning a race).
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    Natnael Berhane from Europcar to MTN-Qhubeka...
  • Is there anyone not joining MTN/Quebeka ?
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    Is there anyone not joining MTN/Quebeka ?
    David Millar :(
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • Is there anyone not joining MTN/Quebeka ?

Chris Froome :wink:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Yeah ok, thanks :)

Was rhetorical.
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    Is there anyone not joining MTN/Quebeka ?

me
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • Where's my kit you promised in 2011 ? :)

Yeah and you and me. Sadly.
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Cunego, studying sports science!
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • frenchfighter
    Cunego moves to Nippo-Vini Fantini.
    2 years.
    Nippo go from Conti to Pro-Conti next year.
    He was at Lampre 13 years.

Antonio Nibali (his brother) also signs for them.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    poppit wrote:
    Cunego, studying sports science!
    I can see him in lectures tearing his hair out thinking "everything I was told for 15 years was bullsh1t"
  • RichN95.
    Now for a bit of a left field signing.

Owain Doull has joined Europcar

Three graduates from Maindy Flyers in the World Tour now.

The Cardiff branch is just round the corner from me, maybe I'll see him.
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    RichN95 wrote:
    Now for a bit of a left field signing.
    Owain Doull has joined Europcar

Some other interesting ones
    Quaade to Cult Water, Ratto to UHC, no room for Tanner, Bobridge and Van Winden at LottoNL/BL
  • RichN95.
    Now here's an idea.

Sky are paying Doull's salary at Europcar to give him more opportunity to race. Europcar have shown with Craven that they will take riders with personal backing

Just a theory. Maybe they have realised with Edmondson/Sadam Yates that GB talent is best nurtured elsewhere.

(I have no evidence for this. Just a guess)
  • frenchfighter
    Wow, pretty good of Sky to do that. Yes I think they realise they are only focused on almost finished thoroughbreds rather than ground up work - they should and possibly are correcting that.

Europcar are such a cheap squad...should really be demoted.

Ps. I hope 'Sadam' gains zero traction!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    Wow, pretty good of Sky to do that. Yes I think they realise they are only focused on almost finished thoroughbreds rather than ground up work - they should and possibly are correcting that.

Europcar are such a cheap squad...should really be demoted.

Ps. I hope 'Sadam' gains zero traction!
    I repeat I have absolutely nothing to support this. I'm basically making it up. But the loan system is widely used in football and I was wondering if it would work in cycling. Particularly with an intended move to smaller teams in a few years
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,445
    RichN95 wrote:
    Now here's an idea.

Sky are paying Doull's salary at Europcar to give him more opportunity to race. Europcar have shown with Craven that they will take riders with personal backing

Just a theory. Maybe they have realised with Edmondson/Sadam Yates that GB talent is best nurtured elsewhere.

Alternatively, Europcar have recognised that the GB Olympic Development Plan produces good quality riders, have seen Doull race well in France and decided to get in before Sky, with one eye on promotional activities in the UK market?

That seems much more likely, no?
  • RichN95.
    andyp wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Now here's an idea.

Alternatively, Europcar have recognised that the GB Olympic Development Plan produces good quality riders, have seen Doull race well in France and decided to get in before Sky, with one eye on promotional activities in the UK market?

It's far more likely.

I was just thinking out loud as to how Sky could use a loan system to help develop young British riders, something they admit they are struggling to do despite it being a reason for the team's existance
  • The_Boy
    RichN95 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Now here's an idea.

It's far more likely.

I was just thinking out loud as to how Sky could use a loan system to help develop young British riders, something they admit they are struggling to do despite it being a reason for the team's existance

Why would they need to? They have one of the biggest budgets, so if they recognise that they struggle to develop talent surely it makes sense to let other teams do it for them and pick them up a few years down the line?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • The_Boy
    Re: Doull. I think it's a potentially a very smart move for him.