On board bike cameras

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Some funny attitudes on here.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    It was on the side of the road and there is no need to pick it up regardless. Riders just do not do that sort of thing.
    It was close enough for him to pick it up without so much as slowing down. That's besides the point though: are you seriously trying to imply Reza thought: "Oh cool, a camera. I'll just 'steal' it on the way past, nobody will ever notice! I'll make sure of that by waving it at various other riders in the bunch before handing it over to the people in the team car. The perfect crime!"

???
  • frenchfighter
    Why not just leave it then? How would you feel if it was your camera and you didn't see who picked it up, thus reducing the chances of its retrieval? What if you had worked hard to save up for a camera and someone who wants a bit of fun takes that hard earned, expensive camera from you?

It looks good enough for Reza to risk falling off by picking it up. He should be able to deduce that good things like cameras are not just left on the floor for people to pick up and go away with.

This is nothing against Reza btw - I like him as has been posted already.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    yes, yours. :roll:
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    What if you had worked hard to save up for a camera and someone who wants a bit of fun takes that hard earned, expensive camera from you?

Then I wouldn't be arsing about with it in a dangerous position when the peloton pass by. If a rider can elbow the thing down without any effort you know you are too close with it. He/she should just be happy to get it back as they are obviously too daft to use it safely and properly.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Why not just leave it then? How would you feel if it was your camera and you didn't see who picked it up, thus reducing the chances of its retrieval? What if you had worked hard to save up for a camera and someone who wants a bit of fun takes that hard earned, expensive camera from you?

It looks good enough for Reza to risk falling off by picking it up. He should be able to deduce that good things like cameras are not just left on the floor for people to pick up and go away with.

I don't know. Let's imagine another situation. Say it's your job to take photographs. You work really hard to take photographs, because it's how you earn your money. You're very proud of your photographs, and someone comes along and posts them as their own, without so much as a byline so that people can see that it was your talent and hard work that captured that image. What if you'd worked hard to save up for the professional kit and someone who wants a bit of fun takes that hard earned, expensive photograph from you?

The person stealing those photos should be able to deduce that good things like that aren't just lying around for people to pick up and go away with, right?

Does any of this explain why people think you're launching missiles from an extremely fragile house of glass on this one?
  • frenchfighter

I don't know. Let's imagine another situation. Say it's your job to take photographs. You work really hard to take photographs, because it's how you earn your money. You're very proud of your photographs, and someone comes along and posts them as their own, without so much as a byline so that people can see that it was your talent and hard work that captured that image. What if you'd worked hard to save up for the professional kit and someone who wants a bit of fun takes that hard earned, expensive photograph from you?

The person stealing those photos should be able to deduce that good things like that aren't just lying around for people to pick up and go away with, right?

Does any of this explain why people think you're launching missiles from an extremely fragile house of glass on this one?

Quote me passing an original photo off as my own or withdraw the statement.

After which point you may as well attempt to wage a moral war against the hundreds of millions of people of people who have saved some of the billions of photos made readily available across millions of websites on every conceivable subject.

If you have energy after that you can then try and answer the questions regarding the camera and Reza.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    tim000 wrote:

You think it is ok for Reza to take the person's property.

Should I be jogging in a straight line and you are so focused on your phone that you walk straight into me and drop your phone, am I then able to take your phone and jog off with it?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thomthom
    tim000 wrote:

You think it is ok for Reza to take the person's property.

Should I be jogging in a straight line and you are so focused on your phone that you walk straight into me and drop your phone, am I then able to take your phone and jog off with it?

Jogging and a Tour peloton is a fantastic comparison tbh.
  • adr82
    ThomThom wrote:
    What if you had worked hard to save up for a camera and someone who wants a bit of fun takes that hard earned, expensive camera from you?

Then I wouldn't be arsing about with it in a dangerous position when the peloton pass by. If a rider can elbow the thing down without any effort you know you are too close with it. He/she should just be happy to get it back as they are obviously too daft to use it safely and properly.
    This is all that should need to be said on the subject.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I think some of you are ignoring the law here, specifically the 1924 Finders Keepers Act and the later supporting 1957 Losers Weepers Act.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Meanwhile … I am sure I heard mention of an on-board camera being placed on one of Kittlel's GIA team-mates bikes for today's stage. Ought to be a good watch. Any sign of a link would be much appreciated.
  • adr82
    RonB wrote:
    Meanwhile … I am sure I heard mention of an on-board camera being placed on one of Kittlel's GIA team-mates bikes for today's stage. Ought to be a good watch. Any sign of a link would be much appreciated.
    The official onboard videos don't usually appear until the day after the stage, check here tomorrow.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Quote me passing an original photo off as my own or withdraw the statement.

So on Thursday you were in Glasgow to capture this image in your role as a Getty Images photographer?

20th-commonwealth-games-day-1-20140724-111236-405.jpg

The day afterwards, you were in France to capture the action, posting this photo to your photobucket account?

nibs_zps6b92affa.jpg

Both of these were posted to the forums by yourself, without any attribution or indication that you were anything other than the photographer responsible for the images. And these are the last two images you've posted, so rest assured I'm not digging through lots of posts to find these.

Post a copy of the plane ticket to France and your press accreditation for the Commies, otherwise the accusation stands.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here - just observing an essential hypocrisy in your position. I'm not asking you to stop posting images, either - they're hotlinked and any interested party can simply cut them off or replace them with something unpleasant, should they choose. However it would be a courtesy to the photographers whose work it is (and also to those who are interested in such things) to at least add an attribution so that the credit is given to the correct person. A name and source would be ample. As it stands, the casual reader is invited to believe that you're responsible for the images in your post, and this is unfair on both the viewer and the person who took the photo. Unless you can demonstrate that you're flitting between Glasgow and the Pyrenees, of course.

Meanwhile, a rider who removes a helmet camera from the course where it's causing an obstruction, films a unique inside view of the race, passes it safely to the team car, and finally returns it to its owner, undamaged and with a unique record of the day that he could never have hoped to capture from the roadside, is hardly committing theft.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

FRENCHFIGHTER MAN OF THE PEOPLE
  • frenchfighter
    Good effort, but you fail to provide what I am after. Something which says: 'hello, here is a photo you took, hope you like it', or something similar. Posting a photo by itself is is no way claiming it. You can therefore remove your accusation or re-word it.

I do post up who took the photo often and have promoted many photographers. This is the latest amazing photgrahper: Kåre Dehlie Thorstad
    Gruber - long been a fan and made mention of him here - certain that my contribution on this forum has increased his presence and traffic.

Often times, you will note that photos are actually taken and farmed out to a ton of sites so the original photographer can get lost...by that time they have likely made their money. Tumblr, blogs, twitter etc - post up a lot of stuff from there which has no accreditation. Often times, a photo also has accreditation on the bottom - TdW, Gruber, Pez, Steephill, C Flockton etc - it is very easy for them to add that. Getty, yeah - great photos, you can see them all online, just search for it on their site.

If you feel strongly about it I hope you pass over the photos and don't look at them too closely. Otherwise you are complicit in whatever moral wrongdoing you are trying to argue for.

I feel like I am repeating myself here as this point has been discussed a lot before. I shall however endeavor to add more accreditation where possible.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    I think the point is that Reza's act was no more or less "theft" than the photos you post.

Why not accuse the Lotto rider of assault at the same time?
  • frenchfighter
    I think the point is that Reza's act was no more or less "theft" than the photos you post.

Why not accuse the Lotto rider of assault at the same time?

I know exactly what the meant. It is what we have been discussing.

Of course the Lotto rider's actions were unnecessary. He could have shouted or gesticulated and I am sure the guy would have moved. The guy is an idiot for leaning out but doesn't deserve to be knocked down or have his camera stolen.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    Maybe its just that I have been looking, but I seem to have seen the riders fighting back against camera wielding fans a lot more this Tour.
  • frenchfighter
    Eisel's TT bike:
    1406492846223_1oa5g1l5vjakt_700_80_670.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Eisel's TT bike:
    That's a fat lot of good unless you want footage pictures of a Jaguar (which they probably did)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    Not just any old Jaguar, but a fancy sports one with a TT bike on top
  • frenchfighter
    Check out Vos' camera on her bars. Would be good to see that angle. If anyone finds it, please post up.

tumblr_n9dumvDRC41qacyk6o1_500.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • adr82
    Check out Vos' camera on her bars. Would be good to see that angle. If anyone finds it, please post up.

tumblr_n9dumvDRC41qacyk6o1_500.jpg
    Think this is it (listen for the celebration as she hits the line)
  • thomthom
    adr82 wrote:

Waw girls, you have got to use a bit of elbows against her.. That was too easy at 0:40..
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    What's with the Semen shaker advert at the end of that video?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    lawrences wrote:
    What's with the Semen shaker advert at the end of that video?

Might want to check for dyslexia.

Samen sterker = together stronger.
  • frenchfighter
    adr82 wrote:

Cool, thanks.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    adr82 wrote:

Cool, thanks.

That's pretty good footage. It shows the chances you have to take to win, twice she took the chance of squeezing up the barrier when a movement from another rider would have put her on the deck. I don't think I'd have the nerve.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Pross wrote:
    That's pretty good footage. It shows the chances you have to take to win, twice she took the chance of squeezing up the barrier when a movement from another rider would have put her on the deck. I don't think I'd have the nerve.
    I think the crash near the end that took out Armistead happened when another rider was trying to move up along the barriers just like that as well.

I've really enjoyed this glut of pro on-bike footage. I hadn't appreciated the amount of shouting and talking that goes on in the peloton during a sprint before either.