edited February 2015 in Pro race
Anyone got more info on this?

Degenkolb at Cali:
144700__VEG9270crop.jpg
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    Not Degenkolb sorry, but how about a touch of Belkin?

http://youtu.be/j6TlMG_-oBY
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Cookson was talking about this recently (though I believe it has been on the UCI's radar for a number of years now):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/26954099
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    That is fantastic. Hopefully more teams use these and we get to see more footage. It would be great if eventually we can get a view form cameras on the bike live during a stage as part of the coverage.

Edit: @marcusjb Hadn't seen that story, thanks for the link. Sounds good to me. It happened in F1 and has really added to the coverage of F1 over the years and I'm sure it could do the same for cycling.
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    repost
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Little camera, Giant bike
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I think it would be great

'and now as we come down the back of the tourmalet, we go to the onboard with Cancellara'

'final metres of the sprint and from gripel's camera you can see cavendish going past'

but would be of limited use on the climbs I concur
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Could give better vision on crashes as well.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Rear mounting camera would be better or all your gonna see is a lot of riders arses, whereas a camera pointing backwards at the faces of the riders straining away to catch up with you or trying to slipstream you would be more visually appealing.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Belkin footage from front and rear on 'tube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkSFzwSqS2U

Rear is more useful, as long as its on a frontrider.
  • feltkuota
    feltkuota Posts: 333
    Hope they can turn them off when they go for their "comfirt breaks".....
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Keep in mind that there's a huge difference between cameras that record for later upload like these ones and ones capable of broadcasting live
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mulletmaster
    mulletmaster Posts: 502
    The irony of bolting a camera to the head tube of an aero bike! Under the saddle looking back could make for better views and more space/aero?
  • marcusjb
    The irony of bolting a camera to the head tube of an aero bike! Under the saddle looking back could make for better views and more space/aero?

It's a valid concern and I am sure the sprinters in particular will have lots to say about it. But if everyone ends up equipped with the same camera, then it should make little difference.
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    not sure how heavy they are but in moto gp they have gyroscopic cameras on their seats and it gives a good insight into how far they lean. It would be good, BC have banned cameras on bikes in races for downhill(not sure it the ban covers all disciplines?)
  • johnboy183
    FF - the answer to your original question possibly!

http://youtu.be/F7aH1bn6yUI

Edit

And now I've seen it, it's just what we've been wanting to see. Being in the heart of the action. Superb!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Thank guys for all the above.

Really, really like that Degenkolb one. Sprint looks much longer on there and you can see the effort put in very well.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • marcusjb
    johnboy183 wrote:
    FF - the answer to your original question possibly!

http://youtu.be/F7aH1bn6yUI

Edit

And now I've seen it, it's just what we've been wanting to see. Being in the heart of the action. Superb!

That's awesome - thanks!
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Will Commissaires use on bike camera footage to punish transgressions?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    I'm guessing broadcasts from within or off the back of the peleton would not be welcomed by riders and DS's ... Given the length of time on the bike and the effort required just to get round in some instances there needs to be some respect to the riders and also to leave some of the mystique in the mind of the viewer ...

It effects the whole peleton if even one team choose to do this ...
  • johnboy183
    And I guess a question that can't be answered is "Did the additional weight of the camera effect the outcome of the sprint?"
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I'm guessing broadcasts from within or off the back of the peloton would not be welcomed by riders and DS's ... Given the length of time on the bike and the effort required just to get round in some instances there needs to be some respect to the riders and also to leave some of the mystique in the mind of the viewer ...

It effects the whole peloton if even one team choose to do this ...

I can't quite see what the issue is - I can see a future where the viewer can choose a feed from a specific team or rider allowing them to be "In the race". There would be days and days of boring footage of a rider just sat in the wheels, but even that could provide some interest for viewers to see the movement within the peleton - a helmet cam would probably be best there ...

Why would teams object? Sound? ok - they would not necessarily want their conversations/instructions broadcast. Perhaps it gives too much away to other teams who could monitor close rivals? Not sure about that though - if it's an issue then don't broadcast those feeds live ...
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    That gives a fantastic insight to what goes on in a sprint!
    Half man, Half bike
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Amazing! Great to see Tommeke giving it beans leading out Cav. I can see why Cookson is keen for this to devlop.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    Thinking it through a bit, with live pictures you would have to ban race radio..."Oi Marcel...swing right, looks like Cavendish is lining up to attack you down that side".

Or put mirror on bikes I suppose...
    Half man, Half bike
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Ridgerider wrote:
    Thinking it through a bit, with live pictures you would have to ban race radio..."Oi Marcel...swing right, looks like Cavendish is lining up to attack you down that side".

Or put mirror on bikes I suppose...

They can see what's happening in the overall picture now and that is probably more useful than an onboard camera.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Crampeur wrote:

Absolutely brilliant, thanks for posting that!
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    The effort on the faces of riders just to hold a wheel before the sprint starts is incredible. It would be even more enjoyable with a more technical run in.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    As an experiment, I've just shown the Degenkolb footage to my wife, who doesn't watch much cycling but sort of stays in touch with the results. Her two comments were 'that looks bloody terrifying' and 'I never realised how noisy it would be'. If the idea of putting cameras on bikes is to make it easier to understand what's actually involved in something like a bunch sprint, even this limited trial appears to be successful.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Outstanding video. The audio was an unexpected bonus. It should be standard fare after every major race.

Most of the time nothing happens in a race. Periodically, neutral service collects the SSDs from a few rider's cameras for transfer to a moto. The moto then relays to me. There's no reason in the world why this method couldn't capture a dramatically futile Nibali descent, mid-stage crash, or Saxo smash'n'grab.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.