Tour of California 2014 **Spoilers**

Comments

• Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    hammerite wrote:
    Yates is very, very impressive.
    He really is!

Wiggins powering it in the last K, really looking on form.

Chavez taking a well deserved win.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    edited May 2014
    Wonderful win for Chaves there. What a season for OGE so far. Impressed by Wiggins as well, probably took a few seconds from Dennis when I honestly thought he could lose the overall at one point.

Edit - this has been a great ToC so far. I haven't even noticed the fancy dress show most of the time!
  • d_o_g
    d_o_g Posts: 286
    Chaves looks like a child!
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Very impressive by Chaves, Yates and Wiggins.

Even Froomedog must be looking at Wiggins now and thinking "I need a bit of that".
  • Paul 8v
    Wiggins took 2 seconds in the end. Not bad on a stage where the strategy was probably to limit losses in the final few KMs
  • d_o_g
    d_o_g Posts: 286
    Part of me is very pleased to see how well Wiggins is going, the other part is wondering how tough this field is.

Anyway, must to bed now.
  • Paul 8v
    edited May 2014
    "Fortune favours the brave"! Definitely a Frenchie stage

Edit: They said it at the end, just in case you read this and thought I was mad... :mrgreen:
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Good on you, Wiggo. Classy.

Chaves, Yates, Dennis, Dombrowski. Great to see the young climbers to the fore.
  • UncleMonty
    UncleMonty Posts: 385
    RonB wrote:
    Impressed by Wiggins as well, probably took a few seconds from Dennis when I honestly thought he could lose the overall at one point.
    /quote]

I thought he'd loose time today as well, a much better effort from Sky in support with Dombrovski taking a big turn. Wiggins rode it better than the other day too, he saved something for the last 500m and looked as strong as any one at the end.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    UncleMonty wrote:
    I thought he'd loose time today as well, a much better effort from Sky in support with Dombrovski taking a big turn. Wiggins rode it better than the other day too, he saved something for the last 500m and looked as strong as any one at the end.
    It was a bit steeper than Diablo in the final three km or so which helps as well. Meant that Wiggo's turn on the front to kill Dennis' attack options did not just result in him giving him an easy draft until the final sprint.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    It was the same last year but has anyone else noticed how bad the TOC coverage is,the picture constantly breaking up and stopping altogether.The same thing happened last year and it seems nothing has changed.You would have thought that especially the yanks could do a better coverage than the likes of Turkey or Azerbaijan for instance.

As for Wiggins,good on him.He seems to have turned a corner from last year and looking really strong.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Yates is looking like such a great young rider.

Good effort by Dombrowski and good ride by Wiggins in the final km.

I'm not a Wiggins hater but lets not forget he was only riding against Rohan Dennis and Peter Stetina. Not Nibali and Contador. So although he is looking in good form lets not get carried away at the moment.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Final kms

What a season for Ulrika and Yates.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
    edited May 2014
    Great tactics by Garmin.
    A pity no one told Tom Danielson. :lol:

That final climb was so up Wiggins's street.
    Not a ramp in sight.
    Didn't think Dennis would go as good as on Diablo.
    Good to see Joe Dombrowski showing signs of life.

OGE are having another golden period.
    Chaves looked so happy. Great.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    D O G wrote:
    FF will be happy.

+100

Yes Paul indeed, fortune favours the brave just as it did yesterday. Imagine if he was riding for sky and taping out tempo.

Glad to see Dombrow going well today and finished not too far behind. Prolly first time this season that sky have done a reasonable job for their leader up a mountain. Racing has been so so much better this sesson when the coal mines have been depleted.

A good Tour of Cali due to the nature of the winners. Not been a fan of the climbs though and not too much desire from GC riders to attack from distance.

Garmin well on top of team tables - congratulations.

Photos have been superb too. Veloimages on the case and Getty getting 50x more photos then for the Giro which is odd. Will post some of Chaves later.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Eeeee, that were great, that were.

Most enjoyable.

#beard power
  • wombly_knees
    wombly_knees Posts: 657
    Milton50 wrote:
    Yates is looking like such a great young rider.

Good effort by Dombrowski and good ride by Wiggins in the final km.

I'm not a Wiggins hater but lets not forget he was only riding against Rohan Dennis and Peter Stetina. Not Nibali and Contador. So although he is looking in good form lets not get carried away at the moment.
    That is true. On current form, he'd be putting minutes into Nibali.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Last night was the first stage ive been able to watch live - enjoyable to watch and im very impressed with the ipad app in terms of coverage and information given.
  • tom3
    tom3 Posts: 287
    In these type of races, the experience and guidance the young lads are getting ( not so much Rowe) from riding with pate, knees and wiggo will be invaluable. Something for them to really help them develop I reckon.

They may have faltered on stage 3 but very impressed lastnight. Great learning curve.
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    B3rnieMac wrote:
    woody1545 wrote:
    delete_zps0c12563e.jpg

Er…does anyone know what his tattoo says?

W.A.?.?.?.?

(I also like Wiggins)

it says warrior, after the wigan rugby guys.

article-2272777-1751F31C000005DC-685_468x506.jpg

Why the full stop after every letter?
    Surely every letter in W.A.R.R.I.O.R. must be a word or phrase for that to be correct grammar?
    I left school at 16 so that's my excuse :D
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    D O G wrote:
    FF will be happy.

+100

Yes Paul indeed, fortune favours the brave just as it did yesterday. Imagine if he was riding for sky and taping out tempo.

Glad to see Dombrow going well today and finished not too far behind. Prolly first time this season that sky have done a reasonable job for their leader up a mountain. Racing has been so so much better this sesson when the coal mines have been depleted.

A good Tour of Cali due to the nature of the winners. Not been a fan of the climbs though and not too much desire from GC riders to attack from distance.

Garmin well on top of team tables - congratulations.

Photos have been superb too. Veloimages on the case and Getty getting 50x more photos then for the Giro which is odd. Will post some of Chaves later.

You really cant help yourself can you?
    You are unhealthily obsessed...... :roll:
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    im very impressed with the ipad app in terms of coverage and information given.
    Don’t have it, but the iPhone app (probably similar) is brilliant. Loads of info, sensibly arranged, easy to use, everything works. Has things like live gradient indicators for the groups on the road, not to mention zoomable maps, profiles, etc. Makes a mockery of the Giro website, which is nearly unusable (and of course doesn’t have free live video anywhere in the world – the killer feature).

The Californians may not have mastered camera work at a bike race, but they sure know how to code an app.

The app isn't specific to ToC, just they have a separate branded one. Check out cyclingnews tour tracker and you can get the same info for the Giro, TdF and Vuelta.

That said.... I think the developers might well be Californians anyway!
  • frenchfighter
    Great news is that one Chaves is photogenic and is not wearing those appalling Bolle glasses most of the team is. Those glasses spoilt the Yates photos from Turkey a little.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz fest.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    D O G wrote:
    FF will be happy.

Pity you can't say the same about the broadcast coverage which has been barely LD never mind HD

Anyone know who is providing the pictures ?
  • frenchfighter
    Classy and composed victory salute by this rider.
    145247__VEG7739.jpg

Check out this smile. Braces have worked wonders.
    145254__VEG7770.jpg

Proper display of emotion.
    145317_DSC_6839.jpg

He looks about 15.
    150336__VEG7908.jpg

If you are a fan, check out this interview with him:
    http://www.cyclinginquisition.com/2014/ ... y-and.html

These are the type of riders that should be backed and the ones which will give you the most reward for your loyalty.

Nice quote from his dad:
    “Cycling moves me. I enjoy it. When I’m on a bike I feel like a different person. I feel the wind. I feel the descent, the rise. I feel that life is absolutely beautiful…I feel I can reach goals, my own goals of climbing a mountain, of going somewhere by my own means. That is what cycling makes me feel. That passion.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    tour-california-santa-clarita-mountain-20140517-005741-664.jpg
    tour-california-santa-clarita-mountain-20140517-010140-671.jpg
    tour-california-santa-clarita-mountain-20140517-001647-777.jpg
    tour-california-santa-clarita-mountain-20140517-001948-884.jpg

Chaves family and club named in his honour are probably flying in the clouds right now.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    tour-california-santa-clarita-mountain-20140517-005842-314_zps1e990744.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    tumblr_n5o3njQ3jD1qacyk6o1_500.jpg
    @manuelquinziato
    With Samu watching @taylorphinney doing his best 30’ on #trainingpeaks! Thanks for the show buddy!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    It is great to see Joe Dombrowski back to a good level. He was really putting the hurt on a few guys yesterday. Delighted his injured knee has healed up. Role on the Vuelta.

DD.