Tour of California 2014 **Spoilers**

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
    Funny old race this. Yesterday, we had the bunch splitting, in a sprint for 7th.
    Last night, Sagan and Goss seemed to roll over the line for 2nd and 3rd, with the bunch tightly packed on their wheels.

The taking a bow salute made Bertie's pistol seem cool.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Wow, what a win. So pleased for that result. I dont like TP's personality but when he puts his mind to it those sorts of rides you take your hat off to. Wonderful - wish more riders would do that, even if not many can hold off. His legs were screaming at him to stop but the crowds were screaming louder, willing him on. Respect.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    The taking a bow salute made Bertie's pistol seem cool.

Just keepin' it real. The slavering acolytes seduced by this snake oil are proof that venal douchebaggery on an operatic scale is at least as corrosive to human dignity as doping. I mean, look at these dribblers:

BnedJQoCYAAFPEC.jpg

Selfie - NSFH

Paul Kimmage ‏@PaulKimmage Apr 28
    Hey @taylorphinney , for what its worth there is nobody I respect more in pro cycling.

Taylor Phinney ‏@taylorphinney Apr 28
    Thank you @PaulKimmage, that means a lot coming from you !!

Paul Kimmage ‏@PaulKimmage Apr 28
    @taylorphinney The sport has had hundreds of champions. It needs a leader. Keep shouting.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    tour-california-stage-five-20140515-232729-958.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Beard = bad. Tattoo = worse.
    delete_zps0c12563e.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    delete_zps0c12563e.jpg

Can't say beard = bad, Paolini looks a mean hombre with his.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • jamie1012
    jamie1012 Posts: 171
    Macaloon wrote:
    Phinney is young, good-looking (and vain by British-slob standards), immensely talented, successful, American, unusually tall, smarter and more articulate than he has any right to be, etc., etc. These things annoy insecure males. Such expressed annoyance says more about the annoyed than Phinney, I think.

Utterly regardless: that was a majestic ride.

You missed 'Ludicrous finish bottle Jesus' and 'Witless corporate shill' from your list.

Taylor Phinney ‏@taylorphinney May 12

@BMCProTeam: Did you see Taylor's "@PowerBar Moment" during Stage 1 of #AToC2014? pic.twitter.com/EhNLmFeR9T” @timjohnsoncx would be proud.

Bnc6fvVCcAA_UGo.png
    These guys ride around day after day dressed head to toe in garish advertisements, the pinnacle of the sport was created as a three week-long newspaper ad, at which event doing absolutely anything necessary (legal or otherwise) to bring attention to your sponsors became codified into the culture of the sport, but it bugs you when someone has the temerity to be blatant about it? :lol:

Normally I think it's absurd when people assume that others don't like someone because of jealousy but I mean, seriously. We've got guys in this thread who seem upset because pretty young women like him. Bizarre stuff.
  • feltkuota
    feltkuota Posts: 333
    delete_zps0c12563e.jpg

Tissue filling adoration of a beef eating pistol shooter = Atrocious however:
    Different strokes for different folks.
  • Macaloon
    jamie1012 wrote:
    These guys ride around day after day dressed head to toe in garish advertisements, the pinnacle of the sport was created as a three week-long newspaper ad, at which event doing absolutely anything necessary (legal or otherwise) to bring attention to your sponsors became codified into the culture of the sport, but it bugs you when someone has the temerity to be blatant about it? :lol:

Normally I think it's absurd when people assume that others don't like someone because of jealousy but I mean, seriously. We've got guys in this thread who seem upset because pretty young women like him. Bizarre stuff.

But he's being anything but blatant.

For Sale: One cool zany brand ambassador - will endorse absolutely anything. This guy is half Madison Avenue mannequin, half digital media algorithm. That's what's absurd.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    delete_zps0c12563e.jpg

Get a grip! The boy's got style oozing out his pores.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Beards and tattoos may be stylish in some parts, but they have no place on the road.

What a strange thing to say.
  • frenchfighter
    Beards and tattoos may be stylish in some parts, but they have no place on the road.

(I like Wiggins.)

It just looks very wrong in the photos. How far can you take this...tat up your whole face and that is ok? There has to be a line.

ps. yes I know there was some rider who was all tatted up but he was not exactly 'high profile'.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807

(I like Wiggins.)

It just looks very wrong in the photos. How far can you take this...tat up your whole face and that is ok? There has to be a line.

ps. yes I know there was some rider who was all tatted up but he was not exactly 'high profile'.

Daily Mail quote of the week. Think of the childern!!!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Macaloon wrote:
    jamie1012 wrote:

But he's being anything but blatant.

For Sale: One cool zany brand ambassador - will endorse absolutely anything. This guy is half Madison Avenue mannequin, half digital media algorithm. That's what's absurd.

Welcome to the modern sportperson. It's all about how much brands can earn from advertising, look at Nikes advert for the world cup, or the old Pepsi ones.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    RichN95 wrote:
    He's basically Nathan Barley on wheels.

Just wanted to give you recognition for using that reference.
  • tom3
    tom3 Posts: 287
    The fashion of a 'sleeve' tat will quickly go out of fashion.

Its a bit like the barbed wire tats of the 90s and the tramp stamp tats women used to get at the base of their spine in the 00s.

I personally like the beard but not the sleeve.
  • Macaloon
    sjmclean wrote:
    Welcome to the modern sportperson. It's all about how much brands can earn from advertising, look at Nikes advert for the world cup, or the old Pepsi ones.

What Phinney represents is toxic compared to the straightforward sale of image rights. His is an entirely fake personality created for the sole purpose of flogging stuff. A human advertorial. Not normal.
  • woody1545
    woody1545 Posts: 322
    delete_zps0c12563e.jpg

Er…does anyone know what his tattoo says?

W.A.?.?.?.?

(I also like Wiggins)
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Tattoos of various styles go in phases and the vast majority will be stuck with them for life of course.

That said, I do love the way some people criticise how people choose to style themselves! But I suppose it's only those who themselves have incredible fashion sense AND have something against all individuality and self-expression that doesn't fit their own boring checklist that do it?
  • ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469
    tom3 wrote:
    The fashion of a 'sleeve' tat will quickly go out of fashion.

Its a bit like the barbed wire tats of the 90s and the tramp stamp tats women used to get at the base of their spine in the 00s.

I personally like the beard but not the sleeve.

I think sleeve tats have been popular for quite some time, lots of my parents friends (early 50s) have these and a large majority of the factory workers at my office have either sleeve tattoos down to their wrists of un-joined up forearm tattoos (personally I think a sleeve looks infinitely better than disjointed tattoos within the same patch of skin).

As a beard wearer, I also like Brad's beard. And the sunglasses, much better than the Froome/G's atrocities (not to mention Garmin!)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Macaloon wrote:
    sjmclean wrote:

What Phinney represents is toxic compared to the straightforward sale of image rights. His is an entirely fake personality created for the sole purpose of flogging stuff. A human advertorial. Not normal.

In a bizarre twist he now has his own clinic thread dedicated to why he shouldn't have a clinic thread.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tom3
    tom3 Posts: 287
    mfin wrote:
    Tattoos of various styles go in phases and the vast majority will be stuck with them for life of course.

That said, I do love the way some people criticise how people choose to style themselves! But I suppose it's only those who themselves have incredible fashion sense AND have something against all individuality and self-expression that doesn't fit their own boring checklist that do it?

Granted the rise of 20 something year old roid heads that spend all evening in the gym have made the sleeve far too common. Nothing individual about them at all.

Lads I used to play semi-pro football with only ever facebook or tweet either 1. going to the gym 2. leg day today or 3. finishing my sleeve off later.

Horses for courses I suppose.
  • Macaloon
    Nobody does tats like the Yakuza.

AntonKustersYakuza1.jpeg
  • frenchfighter
    woody1545 wrote:

W.A.?.?.?.?

(I also like Wiggins)

W.A.N.K.E.R ? :D

There is a photo somehwere - will post if I find it.

Boonen has one:
    1521640_639335806105048_315064001_n.jpg

Not as bad as Wiggins' and luckily on the other side of where the moto camera men take their photos.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Knees is another.

IMG-0683_3140752.jpg
    IMG-0560_3141912.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    What a waste of skin. If that was Phinney he'd be a walking nasdaq ticker.
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    woody1545 wrote:

W.A.?.?.?.?

(I also like Wiggins)

Predictable.

W.A.R.R.I.O.R. more likely as in Wigan Warriors
  • frenchfighter
    tumblr_m8cwdmALd11r1489wo1_500.gif
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    If the issue is serious, and a bet challenge is the only way out, the loser should adopt that catastrophe as their avi for a month.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Mechanism wrote:
    woody1545 wrote:

W.A.?.?.?.?

(I also like Wiggins)

Predictable.

Oh come on, let him off, it's his first attempt at humour in 21,000 posts :)

(It would actually be nice to some humour FF! Keep it up I say!!)