Tour of California 2014 **Spoilers**

Comments

• RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    1 Cav, 2 Degenkolb, 3 Sagan.

Wiggo confirmed as overall, and overall I have really enjoyed this race & despite the dodgy camera work (which they can't do anything about) the Matt and Brian ES team commentating.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    The return of Cav and Wiggins?
    I was actually more convinced by Wiggins performance, though obviously not top competition.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Decent race overall I think. The time of day it's on definitely enhances my enjoyment.
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    Brad: "Those young Americans in my team: Joe, Boz, Danny..."

I thought only Horner could call Danny Pate 'young'!

And the American interviewer asking the question we all wanted to know: where does winning the Amgen ToC fit in alongside the Tour de France and Olympic gold....jeezo.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    I still really dislike the OPQS British champions skinsuit.
  • tom3
    tom3 Posts: 287
    Nice touch to pat dombro on the back near the top of the last climb, thanks and your job done.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,396
    Cav was so close to having egg all over his face there! He had no idea Degenkolb was so close. :D

Hard to tell if it was a good race with picture breakup every few seconds, even when there's no obstruction between bine and copter - pathetic picture coverage from the yanks.
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    I like Cav a lot but Kittel is now the man to beat. Cav just does not win like he used to anymore.
    A green jersey is miles away.
  • tom3
    tom3 Posts: 287
    I like Cav a lot but Kittel is now the man to beat. Cav just does not win like he used to anymore.
    A green jersey is miles away.

Almost like he has lost the natural second kick he had
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Enjoyed the interview with Wiggo after the stage. Not only for the tremendous "Tour de France winner, Olympic champion, and now the big one. Howz it feel?' question. It's been a while since he's looked content with his riding rather than tortured by the Tour win.

Thanks for all the RonB updates of the day.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Lead story on BBC Sport website! 8|
  • RonB
    Must not forget that GC

1 WIGGINS BradleyTeam Sky 28:22:05
    2 DENNIS RohanGarmin Sharp 0:30
    3 CRADDOCK LawsonTeam Giant-Shimano 1:48
    4 MACHADO TiagoTeam NetApp – Endura 2:02
    5 YATES AdamOrica GreenEDGE 2:14
    6 STETINA PeterBMC Racing Team 2:30
    7 CHAVES RUBIO Johan EstebanOrica GreenEDGE 2:39
    8 TEN DAM LaurensBelkin-Pro Cycling Team 3:01
    9 ACEVEDO CALLE Janier AlexisGarmin Sharp 3:05
    10 DE LA CRUZ MELGAREJO DavidTeam NetApp – Endura 3:06

Great season for Ulrika continues.
  • Macaloon
    RonB wrote:

Promiscuity doesn't pay seemingly. They're only 14th ranked team, sandwiched between FDJ and Cannondale: CQR
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Macaloon wrote:
    RonB wrote:

Promiscuity doesn't pay seemingly. They're only 14th ranked team, sandwiched between FDJ and Cannondale: CQR

In the UCi rankings they are 9th of the 18 WT teams (as of 13th May, it's never up to date....)
    Pretty close between 4th and 9th though.
  • Macaloon
    Sir Bradley Wiggins targets Tour de France after first win of season
    _74939682_82df5938-c00a-433d-94e2-f66faa0fe6de.jpg

Hollywood coverage. BBC Sport: creating soap opera from genuine drama.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited May 2014
    Macaloon wrote:
    Matt Slater's OK. I met him once and he certainly knows his cycling.

If Wiggins does the Tour - and I expect him to - it should be in a similar role that Rogers played for him. I don't see him as the last man on climbs, more an early shredder which is a key role for Froome.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • d_o_g
    d_o_g Posts: 286
    RonB wrote:
    Thanks from me too. I had it at 2130 again. I hope no one gets caught out.

I turned on at 2130. :cry:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    RichN95 wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

If Wiggins does the Tour - and I expect him to - it should be in a similar role that Rogers played for him. I don't see him as the last man on climbs, more an early shredder which is a key role for Froome.

Possibly. But I think that Bertie only really has one weapon now which is the long Hail Mary lone break away. These only works if he is allowed to get away whilst everyone else looks at each other

Having the worlds third best time triallist to leave him dangling until the last 5k then reel it in would be a useful antidote in Froome's bag
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RonB
    D O G wrote:
    RonB wrote:
    Thanks from me too. I had it at 2130 again. I hope no one gets caught out.

I really must apologise about that. I hope you did not browse the forum first as well :oops:
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Nice little race, some fun stages though not many of them impacted on the GC. All a bit too easy for Brad really, he was a class apart and should be in Italy where he'd surely be a contender but that aside good to see him happy and winning.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • d_o_g
    d_o_g Posts: 286
    RonB wrote:
    D O G wrote:

I really must apologise about that. I hope you did not browse the forum first as well :oops:

Nope, straight onto Tourtracker, to be greeted with 'Thanks for Watching!'.

Other things would have prevented earlier viewing anyway, has been very nice to have evening live cycling this week!
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    ddraver wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

Possibly. But I think that Bertie only really has one weapon now which is the long Hail Mary lone break away. These only works if he is allowed to get away whilst everyone else looks at each other

Having the worlds third best time triallist to leave him dangling until the last 5k then reel it in would be a useful antidote in Froome's bag

Confused. The world's third best time triallist based on results over the last 3 years would be Fabs. But I'm pretty certain he's not going to be helping out Fenton... :wink:
  • wombly_knees
    wombly_knees Posts: 657
    Macaloon wrote:
    RonB wrote:

4th in 2014 though, behind QS, Ag2r and BMC.
  • Macaloon
    4th in 2014 though, behind QS, Ag2r and BMC.

That's why I should leave the stats to the pros. I was looking at last 12 months. Makes sense now. Ta.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Macaloon wrote:
    RonB wrote:

:lol::lol:
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    RichN95 wrote:
    The role of "super domestique" will go to the guy who proves strongest in the training camps in the coming weeks. The guy who has the job of staying with Froome as late as possible will be the strongest climber. Might be Wiggo, might not.

This is where things could fall apart. Wiggo will want to ride the Tour but if he gets the impression he'll just be an invisible Sky workhorse burned up at the foot of climbs only to finish 5 mins down on key stages, I reckon he'll be out. If he's picked he's going to want to be able to show how strong he is.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Sprinter's legs plus Cali wine:
    105824__VEG0458.jpg
    Wiggin's kids + odd glasses:
    110540__VEG0614.jpg
    Rare shot of Wiggins smiling:
    111342__VEG0888.jpg
    Craddock:
    tour-california-thousand-oaks-20140518-202012-489.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Shot of the day:
    tour-california-thousand-oaks-20140518-200611-120.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Daz555 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    The role of "super domestique" will go to the guy who proves strongest in the training camps in the coming weeks. The guy who has the job of staying with Froome as late as possible will be the strongest climber. Might be Wiggo, might not.

This is where things could fall apart. Wiggo will want to ride the Tour but if he gets the impression he'll just be an invisible Sky workhorse burned up at the foot of climbs only to finish 5 mins down on key stages, I reckon he'll be out. If he's picked he's going to want to be able to show how strong he is.

It's not just about the training camps IMO. Porte is the key (there's a quip in there somewhere). Since Ruta del Sol, he's been looking a shadow of his 2013 self, even his 2012 self. He claims he felt great in training before Catalunya and then Romandie, and look what happened once he got into the racing itself. He could be chucking out phenomenal numbers at camps, and then flunk out again at the Dauphine.

Which is why I think the Dauphine will be critical.

If Porte does a repeat of his Romandie ride, getting dropped on the climbs and being zero use to Froome on the uphill stuff, there is no way on earth he can be a protected rider. Jeez, you'd have to question whether he'd make the Tour team (much though Froome might throw his toys out of the pram if he doesnt go)
  • frenchfighter
    tour-california-thousand-oaks-20140518-200143-965_zps2fc8c605.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest