Giro del Trentino 2014 *Spoilers*

Comments

• Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Wiggins was working on his support duties for Froome at the tour. Yesterday he hit that climb hard.

it made me laugh when he came hammering round the corner at the bottom of the climb at the head of the bunch - the cameraman zoomed right in on his face, like he couldn't believe his eyes!
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    Wiggins relaxing 3825662119_fa61ddf6d9.jpg
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    Just watched it on Rai.
    Great to watch a proper GT mountain climbed for the first time this year.
    Landa nicks it from the plucky young South African.
    A very early attack from Pozzovivo.
    4 got away, including Meintjes, but it then settled into a pattern.
    Who was that bearded bloke on the back of the select group? :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Wiggins relaxing 3825662119_fa61ddf6d9.jpg

That's excellent. The only quibble...a rollie rather than a pipe, if its not too much trouble

ToC (America's very own 4th Grand Tour) starts 2 weeks on Sun. If he carries on tuning up like this, he might do better than I expected
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    what odds a froome, porte, wiggins 1-2-3 at the tour?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Richmond Racer
    gsk82 wrote:

DO YOU WANT FRENCHIE TO HAVE A MELTDOWN???
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    I think the entire internet would melt down if that happened.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    gsk82 wrote:

Lol. Sky have a Plan A and so they dont care less where B or C finish, even if A may get ill, crash out or get busted for doping.
    They should concentrate on getting one on the podium to be honest, although I would encourage complacency - it only benefits the seasoned pros they are up against.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Richmond Racer
    ARF :lol:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    gsk82 wrote:

Lol. Sky have a Plan A and so they dont care less where B or C finish, even if A may get ill, crash out or get busted for doping.
    They should concentrate on getting one on the podium to be honest, although I would encourage complacency - it only benefits the seasoned pros they are up against.
    Even though they don't care where Plan B finishes, in three Grand Tours Plan B has finished second.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    Congratulations, can you give me an address and I will send you a blue sky badge?

Once again, a few examples dont prove the rule.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    13985081476_dffde1c333_b.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    14028723803_b206bcb4cb_b.jpg

Race past through his home town hence why he was in the break
    14028720353_99d42d8731_b.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp

They do, as Rich has pointed out. When Wiggins won the Tour they were very keen to keep Froome high up on GC so if anything should befall Wiggins and cause him to lose the jersey, they'd be in a strong position to retain or regain it. The plan was the same last year with Porte before Garmin and Movistar put paid to that.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    RichN95 wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

Even though they don't care where Plan B finishes, in three Grand Tours Plan B has finished second.

In 4 seasons Sky have 4 podiums, 2 winners and a young riders jersey (giro). That's pretty good going in anyones books.
  • Richmond Racer
    andyp wrote:

They do, as Rich has pointed out. When Wiggins won the Tour they were very keen to keep Froome high up on GC so if anything should befall Wiggins and cause him to lose the jersey, they'd be in a strong position to retain or regain it. The plan was the same last year with Porte before Garmin and Movistar put paid to that.

It all stems from learning their lesson the hard way in the 2011 Tour, having no plan B when Wiggins crashed out with his broken collarbone
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    If Froome or Wiggins were a swarthy guy from the Iberian peninsula, I suspect Frenchie would get past the Sky thing.

All I wanna see if a good race with multiple people who could win.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    andyp wrote:

Because you provide one example do you think this makes the statement true?

Pais Vasco 14 no plan b
    Tirreneo 14 no plan b
    WC 13 no plan b
    TDF 13 no plan b (surely the most important race of the year for sky)
    Giro 13 no plan b (messed up Uran's and Henao's placings)
    Catalunya 13 no plan b

Got bored so stopped but there are a lot of other examples.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    Did you watch the Tour last year? Porte was plan b, but Movistar and Garmin fixed that.

Also, didn't Sky's plan b come 2nd in the Giro last year?
  • frenchfighter
    iainf72 wrote:
    Did you watch the Tour last year? Porte was plan b, but Movistar and Garmin fixed that.

Also, didn't Sky's plan b come 2nd in the Giro last year?

Yes thank you Iain I did. Real attacking racers came out to play and Sky got pumped because it didnt go to plan - best day racing in the Tour for a long time. Same in Tirreneo that year, although we could argue that was due to the rain - Sky struggle to stick to their plan when it rains. Great job Froome did that day.

Are you aware that Uran and Henao had to drop back for Wiggins - Sky's plan A? When Wiggins struggled in the rain.
    teamskypescara2.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    Yes - And their plan B came 2nd in the Giro, and lets be honest, he was never going to beat Nibali. So did dropping back to help the Plan A rider make any difference? Nope

I don't think Sky go to Tirreno / P-N / Pais Vasco or any of those kind of races with a plan B. They're nice to win but if you don't, so what?

I dislike Sky but some of this is bordering on lunacy.
  • Richmond Racer
    Why do you waste so much energy and effort, Frenchie, hating a team and its riders so very much? What an utter waste of emotion. Its one thing having your Belieber-level obession with Alberto, but this..

I cant stand Valverde but I dont clog up thread after thread bitching and whining the whole time about him

Bizarre way to choose to focus your energy.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157

Pais Vasco 14 no plan b
    Tirreneo 14 no plan b
    WC 13 no plan b
    Catalunya 13 no plan b

Same as every other team then. Plan B is Plan B for a reason - because it's not as good as Plan A.

Let's put this another way. How many successes with Plan B in major stage races can you name - from all the other teams in Sky's lifetime - I'll give you Cobo winning the Vuelta for free? (And the other teams have the advantage that their Plan A fails more often than Sky's).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp

Pais Vasco 14 no plan b
    Tirreneo 14 no plan b
    WC 13 no plan b
    Catalunya 13 no plan b

They didn't have a plan A at Pais Vasco this year!

Some of the rest of your examples show, yet again, that you fit the facts to suit your narrative. Their Giro plan B last year came second, which would suggest plan B was very effective.
  • frenchfighter
    iainf72 wrote:
    Yes - And their plan B came 2nd in the Giro, and lets be honest, he was never going to beat Nibali. So did dropping back to help the Plan A rider make any difference? Nope

I don't think Sky go to Tirreno / P-N / Pais Vasco or any of those kind of races with a plan B. They're nice to win but if you don't, so what?

I dislike Sky but some of this is bordering on lunacy.

Eh? So it is ok to give up a minute or three because there is no chance of winning. Odd logic.

No you are right. Sky dont really care much about anything other than the Tour de France. Their sponsor will pay them relatively huge amounts of money regardless of how they perform in the rest of the season.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Yes, Wiggins was plan A. Then they obviously realised that wasn't working, and switched to plan B. That's not an ideal situation, that's why it's called plan B and not plan A. If plan B was so brilliant it would be plan A. Part of plan B being less than ideal in this case was Uran and Henao already having lost time trying to keep plan A on track.

This is not a difficult concept to grasp, so stop being deliberately obtuse. You have a thing for singling out Sky's misfortunes and then loudly declaring you don't know what people are talking about when they call you on it.
  • frenchfighter
    andyp wrote:
    Some of the rest of your examples show, yet again, that you fit the facts to suit your narrative.

I suggest you quote this for Rich.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    RichN95 wrote:

Pais Vasco 14 no plan b
    Tirreneo 14 no plan b
    WC 13 no plan b
    Catalunya 13 no plan b

Same as every other team then. Plan B is Plan B for a reason - because it's not as good as Plan A.

Let's put this another way. How many successes with Plan B in major stage races can you name - from all the other teams in Sky's lifetime - I'll give you Cobo winning the Vuelta for free? (And the other teams have the advantage that their Plan A fails more often than Sky's).

Agreed, yet as you are aware Sky have a single minded focus on rider A and all other riders have to brow beat themselves in service. They pay so much money for talent they should be able to put another guy in the top ten at least.

It is better to have a rider placed 5th for instance then a rider placed 50th because said rider was working for plan A exclusively who then left the race for reason Q. You are arguing the opposite which is fine but personally I would disagree.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72

No you are right. Sky dont really care much about anything other than the Tour de France. Their sponsor will pay them relatively huge amounts of money regardless of how they perform in the rest of the season.

Same as Contador. He's paid to perform in July.

It's a pox on cycling, but it is what it is.
  • frenchfighter
    iainf72 wrote:

Same as Contador. He's paid to perform in July.

It's a pox on cycling, but it is what it is.

Apart from the fact Contador performs every race he enters all season long.
    Contador is the Greatest