Giro del Trentino 2014 *Spoilers*

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    I have finally watched the RS 2 hour of highlights, which included the whole of the final climb.
    Big effort from Zardini to hold off the rampaging pack........................OK, Pozzovivo, cos there wasn't a whole lot of attacks. Cuddles, Aru and Duarte then left him standing in the final 200 metes, but the Bardiani boy was at the line by then.

Don't usually sing the praises of Sir Bradley Weegeens, but he did a load of work sorting out the group, rode off the front when finished, then turned around to wave the hurry up to the bunch in his wake.
    Strolled in not that far down and unlike the rest, had hardly looked to be breaking a sweat, all afternoon.

Come July.........
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,066
    zardini_zps141672b5.jpg

That's a cracking image to be fair, not sure about the vignetting but still good.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Don't usually sing the praises of Sir Bradley Weegeens, but he did a load of work sorting out the group, rode off the front when finished, then turned around to wave the hurry up to the bunch in his wake.
    Strolled in not that far down and unlike the rest, had hardly looked to be breaking a sweat, all afternoon.

Come July.........

He probably won't be breaking a sweat in July either, sitting on his sofa and all :P
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    He perfectly mimicked Froome's "come on guys, catch up already" wave through.
  • blazing_saddles
    The full RAI highlights package of yesterday's stage:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... PbjS3rKH4s
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Turfle wrote:
    He perfectly mimicked Froome's "come on guys, catch up already" wave through.

That was quality
  • tom3
    tom3 Posts: 287
    After watching, I read it that Wiggins job was to ramp the pace up until the foot of the steep ramp and then peel off and the other two take over. He was expecting them to take over but he had burnt them out, hence the waving through. He could of rode off the front @ tempo quite easily, leaving cuddles scrambling.

Im looking forward to Wiggins vs Rogers, Porte vs kreuziger and froome vs contador in the mountains (if it happens).
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    13948611516_3692047468_b.jpg
    13983074485_0e4e73cee4_b.jpg
    13979892611_e1c8f935f9_b.jpg
    13983080965_cc0b4c55e5_b.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,066
    I reckon yesterday might just have given Wiggo some big ideas for the rest of the week...
  • Turfle
    Big old break is 4 minutes up the road.

Zeits (Astana, 6), Malori (Movistar, 24), Caruso (Cannondale, 43), Cataldo (Sky, 62), Rosa (Androni Giocattoli, 73), C. Quintero (Colombia, 96), Piedra (Caja Rural, 106), Taciak (CCC, 117), Pagani (Bardiani, 88) , Pardilla (MTN, 127), Monsalve (Neri Sottoli, 136), Pimienta (NetApp, 157).
  • frenchfighter
    12 in the lead including Cataldo, Caruso and Quintero.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Richmond Racer
    Down to 7 leaders now:

Cataldo, Zeits, Caruso, Rosa, Quintero, Pardilla, Monsale

Gap 2'

I'm seeing a tweet that Duarte's off the back, but that's not via an official source
  • Richmond Racer
    Inside 20km to go, 3 leaders now - Cataldo, Monsalve and Taciak. Gap 52"
  • Richmond Racer
    hmm. now we have Caruso, Taciak, Monsalve and Piedra with 50" over their former breakaway mates, with the peloton 1'15" back

Under 10km to go
  • frenchfighter
    No balls in this peloton.

Where is Contador when you need him. Where is Nibali.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Richmond Racer
    Leaders caught. All together. Sky on the front.

3km to go
  • frenchfighter
    Bl_Sv1XIMAA43-2.jpg:large
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Evans and Pozzo finally make a move.

Bl_TggzIIAAzlln.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Richmond Racer
    within the final km - attack by Evans, Scarponi, Landa, Pozzovivo and Bongiorno
  • Richmond Racer
    now between old man Evans* and Pozzovivo

*who is giving it full beans here
  • Richmond Racer
    Evans wins

1. Evans
    2. Pozzovivo +3
    3. Landa +9
    4. Scarponi +9
    5. Anton +20
  • Turfle
    Good to see Landa up there. My e/w bet for the Giro.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Joelsim wrote:
    Poor from Movistar, good from Sky given the number of riders they have. And chapeau to BMC and TNE, although the thought of Evans winning the race makes me want to puke.

I presume you now have the sick-bag on stand-by for tomorrow !
  • Richmond Racer
    i'm not mad keen on Cuddles, but have to hand it to him, here
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    Pozzovivo, he'll be gutted to hear, has become my new "Most Annoying Rider", after Rolland (for different reasons)...
    Think it's something to do with almost being amazing and never really looking like he's bothered...
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    Good win for Evans. When he was at his best he could compete with anyone. Still not convinced about his Giro chances. He has fell short this year against the likes of Contador and co. I am not sure he has any real competition in this race. it could be just a bit of a confidence builder. I do like Evans and his climbing ability has been as good as anyone over the years. He has been a very under rated rider in my view.
  • Turfle
    Maybe a bit harsh to ask of a 23 year old, but what's going on with Moreno Moser? Great 2012 season, then Strade Bianche win to start 2013, and very very disappointing ever since.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Good win for Evans. When he was at his best he could compete with anyone. Still not convinced about his Giro chances. He has fell short this year against the likes of Contador and co. I am not sure he has any real competition in this race. it could be just a bit of a confidence builder. I do like Evans and his climbing ability has been as good as anyone over the years. He has been a very under rated rider in my view.
    When he's fresh he can be almost as good as ever, but his recovery doesn't seem as good as it used to. He tends to struggle in the third week these days.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    Mmmm, Just watched Rai's hour and the bad news for Evans fans is that his form is excellent.
    Bossed the rest. Bound to bonk in the Giro's 3rd week.
    The last time I saw the race use this climb was when The Little Prince (also known as the Bastardo, at the time)
    emerged from Simoni's shadow, to take the stage and GC in his 2004 golden period.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    I'm not all that keen on Evans, there's just something about him I can't warm to. That said, his capacity to suffer and fight is second to none, even when he's absolutely and hopelessly doomed to failure. I quite like him then. So I'm sort of looking forward to the massive third week bonk in the Giro, where I'll start to have some sympathy for him and will cheer him on.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format