Giro del Trentino 2014 *Spoilers*

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    When Cuddles is down, he sometimes does great attacks - Remember this one from the 2010 Giro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xaNUHIvS38#t=336
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    My man Aru still right up there.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    13996364764_606c4e1619_b.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Visconti is riding this by the way. Almost last on GC...

In this climbing race, the climbing team from Colombia continues to underwhelm (since they arrived in Europe) and are close to the bottom of the team classification.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    13993386811_9d04911ecb_h_zpsd5b9a512.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Rai's highlights show from earlier:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Ptbc7NxYc8
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 480
    Always loved Evans since Mtb days for some reason, a rider who appears to wring every ounce of skill / ability from his body. Very very ungainly on the bike, 2007 tour was great when he kept getting dropped but just grinding slowly painfully back to within touching distance. Another great ride was in 2010 giro when he and basso dueled up the Zoncolan. Complete contrast between the classy, stable, seated, Basso being marked wheel for wheel by this gurning hunchback wrestling against an unwilling bike.

Ginger / huffy and Aussie mind...
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 480
    13996364764_606c4e1619_b.jpg
    Yellow shoes, white socks, pink top, black bike, red details.... Messy
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    now between old man Evans* and Pozzovivo
    *who is giving it full beans here
    I’d be highly surprised if Cadel Evans (much as I’d like him to do well in the Giro) ends up winner of the Trentino.
    A final climb of almost 20 km length, with almost a constant 7.5% slope over the whole length, might suit Evans more than some steeper climbs, but it’s also the type of climb which allows younger riders to break and stay clear.
    I can imagine a battle to the end between Machado and Aru.
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    RichN95 wrote:
    Good win for Evans. When he was at his best he could compete with anyone. Still not convinced about his Giro chances. He has fell short this year against the likes of Contador and co. I am not sure he has any real competition in this race. it could be just a bit of a confidence builder. I do like Evans and his climbing ability has been as good as anyone over the years. He has been a very under rated rider in my view.
    When he's fresh he can be almost as good as ever, but his recovery doesn't seem as good as it used to. He tends to struggle in the third week these days.

He had a virus. That can be a nightmare to overcome. If Cadel was hitting the numbers he would be at the tour.
    His form the year he won the tour and when he was WC would make him a big danger against anyone. A very under rated climber.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    RichN95 wrote:
    Good win for Evans. When he was at his best he could compete with anyone. Still not convinced about his Giro chances. He has fell short this year against the likes of Contador and co. I am not sure he has any real competition in this race. it could be just a bit of a confidence builder. I do like Evans and his climbing ability has been as good as anyone over the years. He has been a very under rated rider in my view.
    When he's fresh he can be almost as good as ever, but his recovery doesn't seem as good as it used to. He tends to struggle in the third week these days.

He had a virus. That can be a nightmare to overcome. If Cadel was hitting the numbers he would be at the tour.
    His form the year he won the tour and when he was WC would make him a big danger against anyone. A very under rated climber.
    He faded in the 2012 Tour as well, dropping from 4th to 7th.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    13993386811_9d04911ecb_h_zpsd5b9a512.jpg

Well done for taking the colour out of the rest of the shot - as that bank of almost certainly Yank/Aussie middle-aged toss-pots to the right of Evans would undoubtedly be a similar colour to his jersey...
  • ocdupalais
    My man Aru still right up there.

Aru's one of yours too - How many's that you've had already this season?
    Voracious...
  • frenchfighter
    Lol and Lol.

13999464622_5c54a6859a_c.jpg
    13979555376_1f88f48c72_c.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    bettiniphoto_0168757_1_full_670.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Today's break:

KM 92: Malori (MOV, 24), Zilioli (AND, 72), Sella (AND, 74), Moser (CAN, 44), Deignan (SKY, 63), Pagani (BAR, 88), Duque (COL, 93), Rutkiewicz (CCC, 115), Janse Van Rens (MTN, 123), Serpa (LAM, 33), Rosa (AND, 73), Monsalve (NERI, 136)

+3.46 Peloton
  • ocdupalais
    This'll be interesting with Deignan… there's some formidable climbing talent in that break...
  • frenchfighter
    finish-04.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    No TV?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • frenchfighter
    10ks to race. 30 riders left. Wiggins, Evans and Pozzo all there.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Duarte, Evans, Pozzo and Meintjes (MTN) are out front.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    No TV?

Only highlights after I'm afraid - would love to be watching this now

Steephill.tv has the link to them when they've been loaded to YouTube
  • frenchfighter
    8ks 16 in the front.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dsoutar
    Pardilla being dropped, Pelizotti attacked
  • dsoutar
    10 riders in the leading group: Scarponi, Aru, Landa, Pozzovivo, Niemiec, Evans, Pellizotti, Duarte, Metijev, Machado

5km to go
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    @PelotonWatch: #Trentino14 Bongiorno, Rabottini, Garcia & Wiggins dropped
    @PelotonWatch: #Trentino14 10 riders left - Scarponi Aru Landa Pozzovivo Niemiec Evans Pellizotti Duarte Meintjes Machado
  • Italian racing - love it Scarponi - at last?
  • dsoutar
    Meintjes leads, Pellizottie Landa to follow + 0.10, the others + 0.15
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    edited April 2014
    Meintjes attacks. 10" on Pelizzotti and Landa, 15" on Evans group... Wiggins, Garcia and Rabottini have rejoined Evans group.

Now less than 5km to go.
  • dsoutar
    Wiggins having been dropped earlier has made it back to the lead group apparently