Paris-Roubaix 2014 "spoiler"

Comments

• nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... crash.html

OK, so who crashed roughly half way through the race between two cobbled sections but rode on?
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    "“I’d rather not say who was involved or where exactly it happened" :roll:
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Such a non-story. It's pathethic.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    After the riders remounted and sped off, Brampton recovered the vial, which has a label with the word ‘TEST’ and a bar code on it, taking it back to the UK with him. He then tweeted his discovery asking what he should do with it.

Interesting that a medical professional was happy to cross borders with potentially illegal drugs on board.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • So is Cancellara now going to go for the hour record? Not seen any news on it.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    So is Cancellara now going to go for the hour record? Not seen any news on it.

http://road.cc/content/news/116554-cancellara-hour-record-bid-ice-uci-mulls-rule-changes
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Macaloon wrote:
    After the riders remounted and sped off, Brampton recovered the vial, which has a label with the word ‘TEST’ and a bar code on it, taking it back to the UK with him. He then tweeted his discovery asking what he should do with it.

Interesting that a medical professional was happy to cross borders with potentially illegal drugs on board.

Also, why would a cyclist carry pills In s screw top container? You wrap 'em up in foil or tuck them under your shorts :lol:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • r0bh wrote:
    So is Cancellara now going to go for the hour record? Not seen any news on it.

http://road.cc/content/news/116554-cancellara-hour-record-bid-ice-uci-mulls-rule-changes

Oh right, cheers! :D
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    iainf72 wrote:
    Also, why would a cyclist carry pills In s screw top container? You wrap 'em up in foil or tuck them under your shorts :lol:

15zfjwy.jpg
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Macaloon wrote:

Hmm. Tis all a bit odd.
  • Macaloon
    I mean, the guy's a vet, and will be well versed in all sorts of medications developed for animals and abused by humans.
  • tom3
    tom3 Posts: 287
    The chap also claims to have 20 plus photos of the crash and the vial falling out the pocket :shock:

Surely it cant be prescribed or sanctioned as it had 'test product' written all over it.
  • Richmond Racer
    tom3 wrote:
    The chap also claims to have 20 plus photos of the crash and the vial falling out the pocket :shock:

Surely it cant be prescribed or sanctioned as it had 'test product' written all over it.

Seriously...was does a label even mean... :?:

Suspect UKAD will hand it over to either CADF or AFLD to test as it was a race outside the UK.

Even if the stuff turns out to be a banned substance, they wont be able to bring a case against the rider for it, even for possession. The chain of custody issue - or lack of adequate chain of custody to be precise - would make that a waste of time.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Would a rider take painkillers during a race like that - in case of a crash or just because of the cobbles?

If not my money would be on it being a legal supplement - if riders are still taking pep pills during a major race it wouldn't say much for anti doping measures. We know that some athletes take all kind of supplements, most probably completely ineffective.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Richmond Racer
    Could be painkillers, caffeine pills, legal supplements

I'd slap a tenner down on this being the more likely scenario than PEDs
  • Macaloon
    The local gendarmes would have been my choice to investigate suspicious paraphernalia. Tweet pics of the handover to chief. He'd have loved it.
  • thomthom
    edited April 2014
    Can't believe this is even being debated.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661

TEST - osterone?

TEST - EPO Variant

;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Richmond Racer
    ddraver wrote:

TEST - osterone?

TEST - EPO Variant

;)

And I can slap a label on a container with any wording and it bears no relation to anything
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    The whole thing smells of a hoax to me.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    He took the substance, not knowing what it was, back to the UK?

Surely he should have called French AD seeing as this was in France and thus it is their jurisdiction and especially because transporting PEDs is a criminal offence in France. What if he'd been stopped in France by the gendarmerie and it was found that these were PEDs? He'd be sitting in a jail cell facing criminal charges for drug running.

I can just see the magistrate now:

"So Monsiuer Brampton, you are telling me that these drugs, they just fell from le pocket of a cyclist during Paris-Roubaix? Mais oui Monsieur Brampton bien sur, et ma femme elle est le Reine L'Angleterre."

Numpty
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    I will laugh myself silly when it is discovered to be anti-histamines or something. I'm popping them left right and centre at this time of year.

Still all very good free publicity for 'Thames Medical' isn't it?
    And I can slap a label on a container with any wording and it bears no relation to anything

Indeed I just ate my lunch out of a tupperware that had 'Vlaamse stoverij' written on it, alas it just contained salad.
  • Richmond Racer
    He took the substance, not knowing what it was, back to the UK?

Surely he should have called French AD seeing as this was in France and thus it is their jurisdiction and especially because transporting PEDs is a criminal offence in France. What if he'd been stopped in France by the gendarmerie and it was found that these were PEDs? He'd be sitting in a jail cell facing criminal charges for drug running.

I can just see the magistrate now:

"So Monsiuer Brampton, you are telling me that these drugs, they just fell from le pocket of a cyclist during Paris-Roubaix? Mais oui Monsieur Brampton bien sur, et ma femme elle est le Reine L'Angleterre."

Numpty

And - as Maca's pointed out - particularly surprising naievety given his line of business...
  • thomthom
    edited April 2014
    Haha, just had visit at the Clinic. Not suprisingly they actually believe that a rider would fill his pockets with peds.. in race with a few cobblestones and slight chance of hitting the deck..

That Benotti guy over there has to be the biggest clown of the century.
  • above_the_cows
    And - as Maca's pointed out - particularly surprising naievety given his line of business...

Which makes you question the whole thing. It really makes you wonder whether it's just a canny way of getting publicity for his company. He's go it named in the Telegraph and I have now looked at his Twitter. If you asked me in light of this to name a veterinary supply business in the Surrey area I would only be able to give you 'Thames Medical' off the top of my head.

Job done.
  • above_the_cows
    ThomThom wrote:
    ...just had visit at the Clinic...

ThomThom, the Rust Cohle of the forum. Going to dark places so the rest of us don't have to.
  • Richmond Racer
    ThomThom wrote:
    ...just had visit at the Clinic...

ThomThom, the Rust Cohle of the forum. Going to dark places so the rest of us don't have to.

:)

ThomThom, every time you come back from an Asylum away day, you've discovered a new clown. Its an entire clown troop over there.

Talking of clown-like behaviour, 'pparently Kimmage is using this to declare that cycling's still as corrupt as it ever was (and as per his heart's desire)
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Crazy to think that anyone in the peloton would ever take any doping products, legal or illegal. Madnesss even contemplating that scenario.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Joelsim wrote:
    Crazy to think that anyone in the peloton would ever take any doping products, legal or illegal. Madnesss even contemplating that scenario.

That's not really it. That a rider would carry a vial basically labelled "DODGY DRUGS" into a race, and that a vet would then smuggle that vial into the UK, is what is madness. It may be true, but it's still madness.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    Now I know I'm a cynic, and I'm not saying that this is a PED, but I thought start-line doping was a big thing as the rider knows that he won't be tested for at least 7 hours. Clearly, there are more subtle ways to take a dodgy pill than to carry a complete vial around.