Paris-Roubaix 2014 "spoiler"

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    OPQS seem to wear them all the time unfortunately. Kwaitek wears it always and Petacchi was wearing it yesterday.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I don't like it Frenchie. I don't like it.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Watching the sporza interview Boonen's gears were stuck in 53-14 from just before he attacked, and were stuck for the rest of the race.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    I wish someone would have banned that idiot before he ruined 2nd half as well of the PL match. That really made me mad. Why would anyone do that? 3 times?
  • frenchfighter
    000_arp3853269_670.jpg

Gaping mouth the whole way - all or nothing - respect.
    20144436_224851_670.jpg

20144436_224858_670.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Watching the sporza interview Boonen's gears were stuck in 53-14 from just before he attacked, and were stuck for the rest of the race.

Eh? From 65ks? :shock:
    No wonder his legs were tired :D
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    paris-roubaix-2014-wiggo-2_zpscac14d31.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    I thought the open zip on the finish line would have meant disqualification in your book FF.
  • frenchfighter
    tumblr_n3z9rv2h2A1qacyk6o1_500.jpg

tumblr_n3z8s986Mg1qacyk6o1_500.jpg

tumblr_n3z6fwZTbA1qacyk6o1_500.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    I thought the open zip on the finish line would have meant disqualification in your book FF.

When you win Roubaix with class its better to come in looking haggard.

01_parigi_roubaix_ballerini_merci_ansa.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    @LukeRowe1990 2 hrs
    That's the classics over for another year. Finished 31st today in Roubaix, happy as a pig in shit with that. Now for a Beer !!!
    paris-roubaix-2014-Rowe-1-630x464.jpg

BlHOtMSIcAA_okx.jpg

@millarmind 8 mins
    Sad I punctured out of the front group near the end, then I stupidly crashed because I gave up a little and wasn't concentrating anymore.
    @millarmind 8 mins
    Happy I finished, especially as I nearly didn't, I stopped after one lap of the velodrome and hung out for 5mins. 18yrs pro, still a moron.

@daniellloyd1
    .@gabrielrasch crosses the line in his last ever race. Congratulations mate.
    BlHDpw7IUAApc9-.jpg:large

@eliaviviani 3 hrs
    E comunque respect per #Wiggins @TeamSky alla faccia di chi pensava fosse follia il suo nuovo obbiettivo

@daniellloyd1 3 hrs
    Might have to wait for confirmation on the speed, said 5hrs38 initially, now 6hrs10

-I saw the 5.38 also. They really need to sort themselves out.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Re: Boonen's gears, I call nonsense.

Re: french fighter's Ballerini pic, I don't think he won that day...
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    Cancellara saying there was a headwind and the others were not really willing to work with him at Carrefour.

--

Mentioned earlier but worth mentioning again: Boonen in 14 participations has only crashed once (2001) and punctured once (today).
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Classic millar there
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Cancellara saying there was a headwind and the others were not really willing to work with him at Carrefour.

--

Mentioned earlier but worth mentioning again: Boonen in 14 participations has only crashed once (2001) and punctured once (today).

crashed today as well I thought?

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    edited April 2014
    Looks like he didnt crash as he managed to stop just in time.

Crash compilation:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... XKc97DKl4Y
    So Roulston crashed because he tried to bunny hop when he didnt need to and messed it up.
    Re: Boonen's gears, I call nonsense.

Re: french fighter's Ballerini pic, I don't think he won that day...

Yeah I know but it is a good pic of a jersey open from a heavyweight!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    ThomThom wrote:
    I wish someone would have banned that idiot before he ruined 2nd half as well of the PL match. That really made me mad. Why would anyone do that? 3 times?

People can only complain if you weren't watching the race really, as watching the race and following a thread at the same time is pretty pointless really.
  • frenchfighter
    So annoying Devolder wasn't here. Pure racer in these races and I am sure it would have been a better race and Cancellara would have been able to make more decisive moves.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    So annoying Devolder wasn't here. Pure racer in these races and I am sure it would have been a better race and Cancellara would have been able to make more decisive moves.

Dumber than a bag of spanners though (well, so they people involved in pro cycling tell me)
  • frenchfighter
    Great photo by Nicolas Demory on flickr:
    13825104644_d267e75e70_c.jpg

"It was frustrating that some of the riders sat on in the move," Geraint said. "If we’d all ridden together then you never know how far we might have gone. They only really caught us on Carrefour de l’Arbre. My legs really started to go there. The rider in front of me left the wheel open and I couldn’t close it.
    "Then it all came back together, but I was on my knees to be honest in the last 10km. I spoke to Brad and he said he felt good. When Terpstra when I looked to commit and try to keep the gap as small as possible. Brad didn’t really have the opportunity to go in the end, so it just came down to the sprint. Against those sort of guys it’s hard enough to beat them when I’m fresh. I tried to hit them on the back straight.
    "It’s nice to get a top 10 again. The way I rode it wasn’t the easy way. We were out front for a lot of the time. It’s satisfying, but at the same time we wanted to get a podium. I think we’ve definitely improved as a whole over the Classics season. We’re missing (Ian) Stannard who would have been a key rider for us today."

Check the glasses he was forced to wear on the podium. No way would a heavyweight racer like him wear them otherwise.
    484588699_3120493.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    iainf72 wrote:

Dumber than a bag of spanners though (well, so they people involved in pro cycling tell me)

I'd believe it. Doesn't matter too much though I guess as his legs do the talking and he has a good palmares and provides excitement for the fans. Likely could win more if he played it cleverer.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Cancellara saying there was a headwind and the others were not really willing to work with him at Carrefour.

--

Missed one. 2011.
  • frenchfighter
    Meant to be 2011 not 2001.

--

"Since I was a little child and I started cycling, Paris-Roubaix was the most special race for me and now I won it it's a dream come true," said Terpstra.

"It was really special. I was so satisfied that I finally had a big one. I already had some nice victories, but always you hear that these are small races. It's the biggest Classic for me that I can win and I was really emotional when I crossed the big line," he said in the post-race press conference. "It's a stupid race - too old fashioned - but that's why it's so special and that's why I love it so much."

"I only believed it in the last corner here. Two years ago, I was fifth. I think that if you can finish in the top 10 here, you can also with a bit of luck win it. Last year I was third, so I was close and now I did it," said Terpstra. "When we came together on the last cobble sector in Hem and Wilfried Pieeters told me and Zdenek to attack and 20 seconds later I attacked and it was the good one."
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Mad_Malx
    Before:

BlFhKl9IYAAykbW.jpg:small

After:
    tumblr_n3z6fwZTbA1qacyk6o1_500.jpg
  • Mad_Malx
    484588699_3120493.jpg

By chance walked past a garage in Brittany a few year's back that had a block in the window - Fred Guesdon's home village
  • iainf72
    Massive amount of finishers, if you compare it to the last number of years.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,450
    Channelling your inner Kelly well there, Iain.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Finally caught up. It seemed an unusual race, the Thomas / Boonen break didn't seem to be a real attack and yet if they'd all worked it could well have stayed away and there was still a very large group with 30km to go. Impressed with Boonen and Geraint as they'd done so much work and in Thomas' case he was probably the only rider trying to close Terpstra down. Disappointed with Degenkolb who did next to no work and celebrated winning the sprint for second. To sound like Frenchie, lacking class!

OPQS finally get their tactics spot on and really pleased for Terpstra although for my PTP I'd have rather it had been Stybar!
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    ThomThom wrote:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSOb9WgT_jt1NLvpQatE_5Rf3zM250_-uomd94CiLSWmdXeEfTY
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000