Carlton Kirby

Comments

• Allez Mark
    Allez Mark Posts: 364
    @saidcarlton is an account dedicated to the cr@p he comes out with. I wouldn't be surprised if he was playing up to that.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    Allez Mark wrote:
    @saidcarlton is an account dedicated to the cr@p he comes out with. I wouldn't be surprised if he was playing up to that.

Wouldn't surprise me if he viewed it as a collection of his greatest hits.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    awavey wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    It's like watching a train wreck (or a Sky doping thread). Wormhole.
    Indeed. Apparently they are not too bothered about the racing, they just like the funny things he says in the five hours of monotony :roll:

which has its place to be fair, the graveyard slot doing Le Mans 24hrs comes to mind, but its not needed in the last hour of the stage, where there is actually stuff happening to commentate on if he spent more than just 2 secs glancing at the race or listening to race radio before coming up with next joke of the nanosecond. and he's definitely getting worse at it.

Yes this is what is most annoying. I feel that he has the anecdotes and jokes pre planned for certain times, and despite there being a key monent going on, still sticks to what he had preplanned.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    I like him, it cant be easy to come out with stuff for hours on end
  • I like him, it cant be easy to come out with stuff for hours on end

No, doing proper research and watching races other than the ones I'm commentating on isn't easy. Tossing out this bunch of guff is second nature.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Guff by Kirby.
    Sounds like the name for a perfume cheap enough to empty a room.
    Kind of apt. :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,004
    Doesn't feel quite so good being mean about someone when they're present - assuming you are the real deal.
    I am frequently in the 'what are you blethering on about' camp though.

After years of watching dodgy streams I have finally dipped my hand in my pocket and shelled out for Eurosport, because I didn't realise previously I could watch cycling without a full sky subscription and satellite/cable.
  • I like him, it cant be easy to come out with stuff for hours on end

No, doing proper research and watching races other than the ones I'm commentating on isn't easy. Tossing out this bunch of guff is second nature.

If he did proper research, he wouldn't make as many mistakes as he does.

His fan boy support of Team Sky is a disgrace.

It's worth watching back on his tirade against Floyd Landis during the Tour of California a few years ago. That just about sums up his ignorance of the sport in general and how much of a band wagon jumping fan boy he really is.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129

HAHAH excellent :)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    His fan boy support of Team Sky is a disgrace.
    Maybe, but from what I've heard of commentators of other countries (admittedly going by volume and tempo rather than actual language), partisan support for the broadcasting nation's favourites is hardly unique to him.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • sherer

Proper research ? That bit must have passed me by. The other yearvyou repeated the claim that Alp D'Huez had been closed to traffic for two weeks prior to Le Tour stage. A quick check of the facts revealed that wasn't the case no matter how many times it was repeated on air
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    sherer wrote:

Proper research ? That bit must have passed me by. The other yearvyou repeated the claim that Alp D'Huez had been closed to traffic for two weeks prior to Le Tour stage. A quick check of the facts revealed that wasn't the case no matter how many times it was repeated on air
    I don't think that's the real Carlton Kirby any more than you're the real Alan Shearer (the spelling gave it away - sorry)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • sherer
    RichN95 wrote:
    sherer wrote:

I don't think that's the real Carlton Kirby any more than you're the real Alan Shearer (the spelling gave it away - sorry)

Of course not, I've lifted the FA Cup :mrgreen: although I've never scored for England or Newcastle
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    RichN95 wrote:
    sherer wrote:

Not unless he was posting while he was commentating, this afternoon.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,534
    RichN95 wrote:
    sherer wrote:

Not unless he was posting while he was commentating, this afternoon.

It would explain a lot!

There's one way to tell - have they picked Si Clarke in PTP for MSR? Then again, they might not realise Simon Clarke is his real name and not spotted him on the start list!
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    The giveaway is that the forum's Carlton Kirby mentioned Stijn Devolder in the Tirreno-Adriatico thread. The real Carlton Kirby has never heard of Stijn Devolder.
  • Mechanism wrote:
    The giveaway is that the forum's Carlton Kirby mentioned Stijn Devolder in the Tirreno-Adriatico thread. The real Carlton Kirby has never heard of Stijn Devolder.

au contraire, mes amis. I think you'll find after Stijn's couple of spills back in the 2014 Flanders, I decided he was a constant crash magnet and proceeded to mention this & feel sorry for his bad luck, every single time he raced. I had no idea he'd won 2 RvV in the past though of course.
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Mechanism wrote:

This^. CK only knows a handful of riders, the ones he has pet names for, suggesting a level of familiarity I doubt very much he has.

Yes, a tricky job talking for hours on end. But he fails to grasp what to say and when to say it. Very easy to prattle on, we all do it, but this is his career. He fails to spot when racing is happening a great deal of the time, needs to reign in his anecdotes and jokes (occasionally he is very inappropriate), and learn about the professional sport of cycling (namely that there is more than one rider in each team).

Many of us armchair fans could do a better job, but only for a very short period of time. CK can do the time filling, he just can't do the actual racing bit very well.

Plus, Carlton, calm it down in the last few hundred metres, you are going to give yourself an aneurysm
  • sherer
    Mechanism wrote:

This^. CK only knows a handful of riders, the ones he has pet names for, suggesting a level of familiarity I doubt very much he has.

Yes, a tricky job talking for hours on end. But he fails to grasp what to say and when to say it. Very easy to prattle on, we all do it, but this is his career. He fails to spot when racing is happening a great deal of the time, needs to reign in his anecdotes and jokes (occasionally he is very inappropriate), and learn about the professional sport of cycling (namely that there is more than one rider in each team).

Many of us armchair fans could do a better job, but only for a very short period of time. CK can do the time filling, he just can't do the actual racing bit very well.

Plus, Carlton, calm it down in the last few hundred metres, you are going to give yourself an aneurysm
    Yeah i said the same above. I feel the annocdotes are pre planned and so he says them at certain times and just ignores what is going on with the race. if he has something else planned.

I'd rather a fake CK account that WCF commentating on threads
  • mechanism
    Mechanism wrote:

au contraire, mes amis. I think you'll find after Stijn's couple of spills back in the 2014 Flanders, I decided he was a constant crash magnet and proceeded to mention this & feel sorry for his bad luck, every single time he raced. I had no idea he'd won 2 RvV in the past though of course.

My mistake then, I apologise... maybe it was the pronunciation that confused me. It's tricky when they can't be reduced to Michael.
  • mechanism
    Mechanism wrote:
    Mechanism wrote:

My mistake then, I apologise... maybe it was the pronunciation that confused me. It's tricky when they can't be reduced to Michael à la Landa and Kwiatkowski.
  • mechanism
    Mechanism wrote:
    Mechanism wrote:
    Mechanism wrote:

My mistake then, I apologise... maybe it was the pronunciation that confused me. It's tricky when they can't be reduced to Michael à la Landa and Kwiatkowski.
  • sherer wrote:
    Mechanism wrote:

Yeah i said the same above. I feel the annocdotes are pre planned and so he says them at certain times and just ignores what is going on with the race. if he has something else planned.

Amen to that. Fake CK FTW
  • sherer wrote:
    Mechanism wrote:

Amen to that. Fake CK FTW

Thanks - if Si Clarke doesn't take it, I will be led out by Geoffrey Soupe, resplendent of beard.
  • sherer

I've said before he comes across as a closest racing and that just about proves it !
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,559
    sherer wrote:

I've said before he comes across as a closest racing and that just about proves it !

I'm assuming you mean closet racist. To which I would agree...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,534
    It's depressing seeing the replies supporting him!
  • sherer
    dish_dash wrote:
    sherer wrote:

I'm assuming you mean closet racist. To which I would agree...

Ducking auto correct :mrgreen:
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111

For those of us blocked by the tw@t, can you post the text please?