Carlton Kirby

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    Mr Big (bean) pays people to transport him around.

Plaaaaaayer.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,558
    RichN95 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    How can you not have a driving licence? That's bizarre.
    I used to. But then I got a ban for accumulating rather a lot of points & sold the the car which was on it's last legs. I never really got around to reapplying for it. That was thirteen years ago.

I didn't have you down as a rule breaker...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    dish_dash wrote:
    I consider doing 100mph on the M4 a 'grey area'
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

See also the M5 south of Bristol. But care needed around between the Taunton and Tivvy junctions #pointsmakeprizes
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,570
    Mr Big (bean) pays people to transport him around.

Plaaaaaayer.

Well, that's one way to look at public transport. I must tell the bus chauffeur next time about his bump in status - chauffeur to a player.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,558
    RichN95 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

Fair enough... though 100mph is probably pushing the limits of the grey area....
  • rick_chasey
    dish_dash wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

Fair enough... though 100mph is probably pushing the limits of the grey area....

Depends if you crash or not. E=1/2MV^2 and all that.
  • dish_dash wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

If I recall correctly from the speed awareness course, in the same distance that you would have stopped if travelling at 70mph, you would have decelerated from 100mph to 70mph.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    dish_dash wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

If I recall correctly from the speed awareness course, in the same distance that you would have stopped if travelling at 70mph, you would have decelerated from 100mph to 70mph.

True.

Although I had to go on one of those for doing 58 in a bloody coned 50 zone on the motorway.
  • It's apt that a thread on CK has gone way off topic and is now a load of waffle!
  • The not having a driving licence isn't that odd. I took 30 years from being old enough to drive to actually booking my first driving lesson.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    It's apt that a thread on CK has gone way off topic and is now a load of waffle!

It's entertaining waffle. But I quite like Carlton's waffle, as well :lol:
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231
    dish_dash wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

I come at this from another angle: is it not already utterly preposterous that we career along a hardened man made surface, in boxes containing super-heated heavy metal components and combustible fuel and sometimes containing a hefty cargo or our most cherished people? And that we do that at a variety of speeds, sometimes a mere metre away from complete strangers, of massively varying driving skills, reaction times and attentiveness - with dotted white lines being the only suggestion of where anyone should be at any given time and an MOT being the nearest thing to an assurance that their vehicle is road worthy...

Sort all that nonsense out before being churlish and moral about 70 or 100mph.
  • joelsim
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    It's apt that a thread on CK has gone way off topic and is now a load of waffle!

It's entertaining waffle. But I quite like Carlton's waffle, as well :lol:

He has the ability to be a very good broadcaster, his waffle can liven dull stages and he has an innate skill of linking, bringing the co-commentator in, and keeping the flow. If only he stopped trying to be funny, cut out the nationalist stuff and had less belief in his own legend.

If he concentrated on facts (I know, post-truth world blah blah) and accuracy then he could actually become one of the very best commentators.
  • RichN95.
    For those going on about breaking speeds. I wasn't actually going 100mph along the M4.

It was actually officially 107mph.

The M4 was empty at the time (it was during a Wales v England rugby game). No passengers. I got caught. I'm not complaining. (Apart from the local paper named me as the no.7 fastest speeder in Wales despite being faster than numbers 5 and 6)
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    RichN95 wrote:
    For those going on about breaking speeds. I wasn't actually going 100mph along the M4.

It was actually officially 107mph.

The M4 was empty at the time (it was during a Wales v England rugby game). No passengers. I got caught. I'm not complaining. (Apart from the local paper named me as the no.7 fastest speeder in Wales despite being faster than numbers 5 and 6)
    Not a problem while driving in Germany to run at 130 mph+ for miles on end. (But I keep my tyres and the car serviced at all times)

Did anybody hear the multitude of gaffs by Kirby last night at the Revolution track meeting.
    He even agreed with himself that it was rubbish commentary.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    One of the worst things Kirby does is tell you that the cyclists are having X conversation, when he has no clue what has been said, if anything. I seem to recall a race earlier in 2016 where he spent the last few minutes going mental about how EBH had spoken to Cummings and given him the OK to jump off the front in the stage, which he won. In the post stage interview Cummings indicated that there was no conversation with EBH and he had just tried his luck. I'm all for livening up the coverage, but don't just make stuff up. From what I've seen he is getting into that habit more and more regularly as time passes.

A good question for the people on here. Have you ever met anyone in your life that laughs at their own "jokes" (a loose term obviously) as frequently as Carlton?
  • rick_chasey
    I'm about to meet Joelsim so we'll see.
  • RichN95.
    squired wrote:
    One of the worst things Kirby does is tell you that the cyclists are having X conversation, when he has no clue what has been said, if anything. I seem to recall a race earlier in 2016 where he spent the last few minutes going mental about how EBH had spoken to Cummings and given him the OK to jump off the front in the stage, which he won. In the post stage interview Cummings indicated that there was no conversation with EBH and he had just tried his luck. I'm all for livening up the coverage, but don't just make stuff up. From what I've seen he is getting into that habit more and more regularly as time passes.

The cycling (newspaper) media has a long history of making stuff up to spice up the coverage. A Dutchman called Benjo Maso wrote a book about it.
    squired wrote:
    A good question for the people on here. Have you ever met anyone in your life that laughs at their own "jokes" (a loose term obviously) as frequently as Carlton?
    I saw Frankie Boyle once - and he constantly laughs at his own jokes - and he's heard them all several times before.
  • joelsim
    RichN95 wrote:
    squired wrote:

The cycling (newspaper) media has a long history of making stuff up to spice up the coverage. A Dutchman called Benjo Maso wrote a book about it.
    squired wrote:
    I saw Frankie Boyle once - and he constantly laughs at his own jokes - and he's heard them all several times before.

The difference being Frankie Boyle is actually funny.
  • sometimes.

Yeah, occasionally. Other times, he needs a punch
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    makes a change from sitting next to a wild bore in the commentary box
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... ent-304190
  • It looks like Kelly was just hamming it up!

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news ... -in-spain/

DD.
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    tim000 wrote:
    makes a change from sitting next to a wild bore in the commentary box
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... ent-304190
    beat you to it . see above
  • Happy to be in the 'un-cool' gang. I love Carlton and his amusing little witterings. Same as my two favorite TMS commentators of all time never played first class cricket. He is passionate about his job and has the pro-commentator next to him.

Can't wait for the next season.
  • rick_chasey
    Ffs.
  • rick_chasey
    It's not about being cool Tiesetrotter.

it's about being given the right kind of information to be able to know what is going on and, importantly, not giving the wrong information!!!

It's about being able to understand the situation and be able to react accordingly. Wetting yourself with excitement when a rider moves up ahead to take a p!ss isn't good commentary.

Calling the wrong rider, a rider who isn't on the same team as the pictured rider, is unforgivable.

Randomly shouting cyclist names as a 'shout' for a win, and moaning that riders are 'taking too many risks' on decent is just pointless at best, and irritating at worst.

Even the hardest fan relies on the commentator since they have access to race radio, and the fan doesn't.

He might as well be commentating on another race, he's that much use.
  • The thing is...everyone slams him...but I bet all the haters, with absolutely no experience of broadcasting/commentating would jump at doing the job, and be equally as "crap" at it as they constantly remind us that CK is..I personally find him 70% informative, and the stuff he gets wrong..well, we made a national treasure out of the F1 guy Murray Walker and he was totally unreliable, but it mad it all the more amusing...people need to stop the hating..CK has a job, he tries his best in very trying circs..and so what if he makes a bit of stuff up to act as a filler, no one is going to die, it won't alter the race outcome, and ultimately we all get to know the result "officially" a short time after the finish.
    I've got to be honest, if anyone recalls Phil Neville trying to commentate in the World Cup in Rio...well, theres an example of a guy who knows his facts etc, but his delivery made Prime Ministers Question time on a wet feb afternoon seem almost orgasmic, so the knowledgable ex pro angle doesn't always work, look at Sean Kelly, lots of experience, a proven winner, knows his onions, but god is he boring!!
    I personally wouldn't want to try commentary, its fast paced for dynamic sports and needs you to have a lot of ability to fill the pauses with filler..look at the stuff we learn along the TDF route, who knew they all had so much knowledge about French chateuas/churches etc!! It's all in the pre race info and they just read it off the guide as the chopper zooms in, but CK likes to use anecdotes, other info..so what!! Mute the sound and listen to some thrash metal if he annoys you so much.
  • rick_chasey
    Ah, the "if you tried it you'd be rubbish" argument.

Just 'cos it's difficult doesn't mean you can't criticise if it's rubbish.

I criticise pro riders all the time and i'm fairly sure I wouldn't able to keep up with even the worst of them.