Carlton Kirby

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    @magnacarter
    @carltonkirby I just overheard a Spaniard weeping at your pronunciation....

@carltonkirby
    @magnacarter Cheer him up by telling him we don't care how he pronounces London

SMH
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I watched the highlights last night, thought he was alright...

Fully accept being in the minority on this one, mind
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

He's still doing is comic Spanish pronouciations of things, that comes across as being rascist rather than informative.

Will be interesting to see if he's picked up that G is leading Team Sky this race and Froome is riding in support.
  • rick_chasey
    sherer wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

He's still doing is comic Spanish pronouciations of things, that comes across as being rascist rather than informative.

The discussion on the skin colours of Italians vs Brits in different seasons during the final gravel section of Strade Bianche rather let the cat out of the bag on that one.

I think he described Italians in winter as "more mustard", I sh!t you not.
  • sherer wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

Will be interesting to see if he's picked up that G is leading Team Sky this race and Froome is riding in support.

That's just crazy talk
  • sherer wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

The discussion on the skin colours of Italians vs Brits in different seasons during the final gravel section of Strade Bianche rather let the cat out of the bag on that one.

Jaysus :shock:
  • rick_chasey
    Ah maybe not the final gravel section - just checked.
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    sherer wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

Next time he plays the thinly veiled racist card, we should complain directly to Eurosport. Whatever you think of his commentating abilities, that is not acceptable.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Wasn't it a comment about Southern Europeans normally tanning while Brits don't or something along those lines - I may be remembering something else but I have never heard him say something I considered racist.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    sherer wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

Next time he plays the thinly veiled racist card, we should complain directly to Eurosport. Whatever you think of his commentating abilities, that is not acceptable.

I tweeted them last season and they ignored it.

I watached Strade Bianchi but I think by the time the race got near the end I had tuned CK out.

If he does the stupid "Especial" comment today or during the rest of the race I will send them a tweet. Always comes acros as rascist the way he says it in a stupid Spainish accent.
  • rick_chasey
    Wasn't it a comment about Southern Europeans normally tanning while Brits don't or something along those lines - I may be remembering something else but I have never heard him say something I considered racist.

Yeah that sounds about it.

Just remembered the mustard line.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    The little people still have to criticise CK, is this going to last all season... how predictable. Grow up ffs....
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Bo Duke wrote:
    The little people still have to criticise CK, is this going to last all season... how predictable. Grow up ffs....
    As one of the big people, can you honestly say that you would rather have him commentating than Rob Hatch, or even Declan Quigley?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Bo Duke wrote:
    Oi, down here, I suspect it is, and that's because he is an absolutely woeful commentator :D
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,343
    He is the worst. Liggett is terrible as well, but nothing is close to CK.

I like David Millar, Rob Hatch & Matt Stephens. Not sure who Declan Quigley is.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    M.R.M. wrote:
    I like David Millar, Rob Hatch & Matt Stephens. Not sure who Declan Quigley is.
    Eurosport commentator with an Irish accent. I think he was doing Dwars yesterday.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,343
    He is excellent as well. Think it's more than overdue for the old guard there to give up the seat!
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270
    Bo Duke wrote:

Well done on the politically correct use of "little people". Less well done asking them to grow up.
  • sherer wrote:

I've said before he comes across as a closest racing and that just about proves it !

Cycle Racing, Motor Racing, Closet Racing - I'll commentate on anything for a few quid.
  • slim_boy_fat
    sherer wrote:

I've said before he comes across as a closest racing and that just about proves it !

Cycle Racing, Motor Racing, Closet Racing - I'll commentate on anything for a few quid.
    Hat!

I noticed in your ramblings whilst waiting to hand over to GW after Catalyuna yesterday you had a bit to say about the girth of Spanish people as they age. How do your bosses let you get away with it? Recently we have had the colour of Italians and now the size of the Spanish!
  • sherer wrote:

Hat!

I noticed in your ramblings whilst waiting to hand over to GW after Catalyuna yesterday you had a bit to say about the girth of Spanish people as they age. How do your bosses let you get away with it? Recently we have had the colour of Italians and now the size of the Spanish!

That's the reason I spout so much dribble - the bosses gave up listening to me years ago. Can get away with what I like now - like Si Clarke, in a get-away, going for Milan San Remo, he's an option you know.....
  • slim_boy_fat
    sherer wrote:

Hat!

That's the reason I spout so much dribble - the bosses gave up listening to me years ago. Can get away with what I like now - like Si Clarke, in a get-away, going for Milan San Remo, he's an option you know.....
    With prose like that I'm sure the awards will come tumbling in!
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    Much prefer Phil & Paul.
  • slim_boy_fat
    Lucan2 wrote:
    Much prefer Phil & Paul.
    Come on, Carlton is not that bad!
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    P-R is again live from the beginning.

Thankfully Carlton's nowhere near it.
  • narbs wrote:

We'll see about that.... That's the one where Si Clarke has a chance, definitely.
  • RichN95.
    narbs wrote:

We'll see about that.... That's the one where Si Clarke has a chance, definitely.
    Surely Turbo Durbo and Eddy Boss will be your picks
  • RichN95 wrote:
    narbs wrote:

Don't be daft, I only back them in races with climbs, clearly their forte.
  • spam02
    spam02 Posts: 178
    RichN95 wrote:
    narbs wrote:

Don't be daft, I only back them in races with climbs, clearly their forte.

Dayer Quintana is surely more your pick for PR. He's DNF'd twice so it must be third time lucky - no?
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    Give the gig to the GCN guys I say.