The Hour *** spoilers ***

Comments

• Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    mr_poll wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Have Wiggins or Martin expressed any interest?
    Wiggins has talked about having a go next June

If a rider prepares exclusively for this event, avoiding inconvenient road races etc, should their record come with the caveat that almost no other riders have the luxury of similar preparation?

Wiggins said ...

In terms, "I'm done with thus cut-throat road business". I guess Bradradaristas know what to believe from the tone of voice. Like I said, my bad.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • I have read a lot of cycling related books and I think this one is the most entertaining. http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Hour-Michael-Hutchinson/dp/0224075209/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409872038&sr=8-1&keywords=hour+hutchinson
    Funny, informative and well written. My wife brought it home for me after finding it in a charity shop. I thought it may not be my thing (I don't time trial or race),but it was a great read. If you fancy a good book about bike riding, do yourself a favour and find yourself a copy.
  • Jens is so awesome, I reckon he'll do it in 59mins
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    possibly, but over the past decade organising these attempts proved impossible. I think the podium finishers at the worlds should be invited by the UCI to give it a go... if they received a formal invitation, it would be harder to decline and the sponsors would find a way to back them up

Dear Mr Martin,

As you are clearly the best guy against the clock currently, you now have to have an attempt at the hour record on a Merckx replica or it's exile for you in a cottage in Southern Ireland with nothing to eat but Runny Grovels forever.

Yours sincerely
    P McQuaid
    Is P McQuaid still active in the UCI? or would Cookson be signing such letters?
    No-one said anyone should be compelled - Ugo suggested an invitation....It may or may not amount to the same thing
    Where is Southern Ireland? I think you meant southern Ireland, Cork or Kerry maybe? The big bit that isn't Northern Ireland is just Ireland or the Republic of Ireland or even Eire if you insist. Lovely spot for a bit of exile!
    What are Runny Grovels?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,366
    Ai_1 wrote:
    possibly,...back them up

Dear M...McQuaid

Is P McQuaid still active in the UCI? or would Cookson be signing such letters?

Don't get pedantic, it was just an attempt at humour. Should it have been signed 'Blatter'?

No-one said anyone should be compelled - Ugo suggested an invitation....It may or may not amount to the same thing
    Where is Southern Ireland? I think you meant southern Ireland, Cork or Kerry maybe? The big bit that isn't Northern Ireland is just Ireland or the Republic of Ireland or even Eire if you insist. Lovely spot for a bit of exile!
    What are Runny Grovels?

Someone help this man. Apparently, it's a bit like 'Stir about' (Ref.: Miles na Galopaleen aka Flann O'Brien)
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Tom Dean wrote:
    There is an hour record attempt at the London velodrome this Friday. Free entry to spectators!
    http://www.visitleevalley.org.uk/en/content/cms/whatson/sidney-schumans-world-record/

Me and the better half popped along to the velodrome to see this.

Sidney set the record for the 80-84 year old category - ~28km. An absolute inspiration.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Anyone know where Jens is going to do it? I can't see that anywhere and if it was possible if be interested in seeing it.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    k-dog wrote:
    Anyone know where Jens is going to do it? I can't see that anywhere and if it was possible if be interested in seeing it.
    Grenchen in Switzerland
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Ah, I bet it's nice but that's a bit far.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • RichN95 wrote:

FFS, I wish they didn't take it so damn seriously... one needs to plan one year in advance to lap for an hour in a velodrome... get real!
    They have to take it seriously, it is not that easy to do. There is a lot to organise with respect to officials, track etc, and you definitely need to prepare for it on the track, it is not the same as a road TT, this is why not many tried it before.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    RichN95 wrote:

FFS, I wish they didn't take it so damn seriously... one needs to plan one year in advance to lap for an hour in a velodrome... get real!
    The first guy to take it seriously ruined it for everyone else I guess.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Daz555 wrote:
    The first guy to take it seriously ruined it for everyone else I guess.

Got to blame Moser, then...
    left the forum March 2023
  • k-dog wrote:

i think eurosport are covering it.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    It's official, they will be showing it on Eurosport, it was on Twitter this morning
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I'll tune in - for the start, and then turn over until the last 5 minutes.

Fair dues to Eurosport for wanting to cover it, but I'm not sure an hour attempt is good TV.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

Fair dues to Eurosport for wanting to cover it, but I'm not sure an hour attempt is good TV.

Depends how close to schedule he rides it. Boardman's final hour was gripping. If he's smashing it from the start (Boardman's superman record), that could be quite exciting too. Suppose it's better to watch if you're into testing.
  • RichN95.
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

It can't any worse than the first four hours of a Tour sprint stage.
  • Guesses about Jens?

I'd say a long 47 Km or a short 48... I think he'll be roughly a mile off pace from Sosenka...
  • Guesses about Jens?

I'd say a long 47 Km or a short 48... I think he'll be roughly a mile off pace from Sosenka...
  • Guesses about Jens?

• Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Guesses about Jens?

Either up to 1/2km over Sosenka or 5km under and never really on pace after the first 15mins is my guess
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    With a bit of technology and graphics like ghost ride of previous attempts and some good punditry it should be a good watch. Does anyone have a time for it?
  • RichN95.
    Guesses about Jens?

He'll beat it. Around 51km. Let's say 50.903km
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    How many attempts will he try if the first is not on target? Is he there for a couple of weeks? Or will he put all his eggs in one basket(one attempt)? I would think the best idea is to plan for a couple of tries and if things don't go well on the first attempt then drop out to fight another day. i.e. don't continue a ride if you know, early on. that you're not gonna get it.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Guesses about Jens?

If it was that easy, it would have been done ages ago. Going 50 Kmh with no aerodynamic help is pretty damn hard
  • Didn't they change the rules back in May, allowing any UCI legal track bike (ie discs, aerobars) rather than the Merckx-clone bikes used by Boardman, Sosenka etc in setting the current 'record'? I'd expect the current 'record' would be well beaten by Voigt.

http://inrng.com/2014/05/hour-record-ru ... challenge/
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    RichN95 wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

It can't any worse than the first four hours of a Tour sprint stage.

I only switch on the end of those too.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:
    Guesses about Jens?

If it was that easy, it would have been done ages ago. Going 50 Kmh with no aerodynamic help is pretty damn hard

You do realise that they changed the rules to allow the aerodynamic bikes about four months ago, don't you?
  • OK let's get down to the important business - does anyone know who Eurosport are going to have commentating on this? I'm rather hoping it'll be Carlton just to see how he plays it.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • OK let's get down to the important business - does anyone know who Eurosport are going to have commentating on this? I'm rather hoping it'll be Carlton just to see how he plays it.

Can't they just mic Jens up and get him to give his own commentary, still chuckling at the Jens soundboard link I rediscovered the other day
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.