The Hour *** spoilers ***

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    edited September 2014
    That's pretty much uncle Jens says in his release that he knows he will not keep the record for long when Spartacus (& others try) but he wants to be the first big name in recent times.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Am I right in thinking that the current record holder was probably doping? I know literally nothing of him other than his hour attempt and that he had a couple of positive tests in his road career.
  • Tom BB wrote:
    Am I right in thinking that the current record holder was probably doping? I know literally nothing of him other than his hour attempt and that he had a couple of positive tests in his road career.

Sosenka's hour is a shamble and an embarrassment for the UCI... the sooner they can delete that name for good the better. He was a mediocre rider, exceeding average only in the dosage of the drugs he used...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Jens won't do it, but it will still be interesting to see how far he goes in an hour... I think he can do a 48 Km
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Did he not also use his height to his advantage to ride in a more aero position than smaller riders could within the rules.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    It's all here, well explained and documented:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hour_record
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    edited September 2014
    This should be interesting, do Trek have a track pursuit type bike? I know they had been developing one for Cancellara but that was to the Merckx rules. I hope Eurosport show Jens' attempt, he'll probably be working on there soon so it will make sense!

I actually read it properly and he's using a modified Speed Concept... :mrgreen:
  • pinno
    It is a nice thought that Jens will be a commentator on Eurosport (providing he's on the English speaking commentary). What an insight that would be. I just hope he carries on the "Well...quite...well..etc" beginning of his comments as it is traditional for ex pro's to do so.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Paul 8v wrote:
    This should be interesting, do Trek have a track pursuit type bike? I know they had been developing one for Cancellara but that was to the Merckx rules. I hope Eurosport show Jens' attempt, he'll probably be working on there soon so it will make sense!
    He said it would be streamed on the internet.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    It will be great for some other riders to have a real crack at it before Wiggo likely puts it beyond reach to all but perhaps Martin.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • RichN95.
    I'm not just saying this because he's a cult figure, but I reckon Cheng Ji should have a crack at it. He's done track, can do monotonous high tempo riding and a Chinese man on a Giant would be big news. And he could probably do it on a standard pursuit bike at short notice. I reckon he could nip in ahead of Jens.
  • Think what ever happens the uncle Jens press release is just the beginning & hopefully should see others come out in favour of having a go, then it's just down to the teams to help fit it in
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • RichN95.
    Think what ever happens the uncle Jens press release is just the beginning & hopefully should see others come out in favour of having a go, then it's just down to the teams to help fit it in
    What's good is that the three best time trialists have manufacturers who would be interested in really going for it - Trek, Specialized and Pinarello.
  • I can see the next 12 month hopefully shaping up for a bit of a battle Re the hour which if all 3 do have a go. Personally am hoping that's the case
  • Have Wiggins or Martin expressed any interest?
  • RichN95.
    Have Wiggins or Martin expressed any interest?
    Wiggins has talked about having a go next June
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    RichN95 wrote:

If a rider prepares exclusively for this event, avoiding inconvenient road races etc, should their record come with the caveat that almost no other riders have the luxury of similar preparation?
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Macaloon wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

If a rider prepares exclusively for this event, avoiding inconvenient road races etc, should their record come with the caveat that almost no other riders have the luxury of similar preparation?
    You mean it's OK to have a go at the record but not to try too hard?

A record is a record, you can't complain that you tried for the record but didn't get it 'cos someone else took it more seriously than you.
  • Macaloon
    bompington wrote:
    You mean it's OK to have a go at the record but not to try too hard?

A record is a record, you can't complain that you tried for the record but didn't get it 'cos someone else took it more seriously than you.

No. That's not what I mean.
  • bompington
    Then what do you mean? I take it your "caveat" is something like a footnote saying "this rider got to train specifically for this record, unlike the others", so how is that different from what I inferred?
  • RichN95.
    Macaloon wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Yes. Similarly, I refuse to acknowledge Neil Armstrong as the first man on the moon as he trained for it and didn't have a proper job.
  • bompington
    Thanks Rich, for saying what I was saying with infinitely more panache :evil:
  • Macaloon
    Thanks. I get it. There's no advantage to be gained from dedicated preparation, or if there is, there's nothing to stop anybody else putting in the dedication. My bad. You can put away the sh1thammers now.

(edited for clarity)
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    Jens won't do it, but it will still be interesting to see how far he goes in an hour... I think he can do a 48 Km

Will he still try and get in the breakaway...?
    Half man, Half bike
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Macaloon wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Wiggins said in the same interview that he might look to have a crack at the hour in June following another attempt on Paris - Roubaix. Not sure if that falls in your category of a convenient or inconvenient race but doesn't indicate he will be living in the Manc Velodrome for the first half of 2015.
  • RichN95 wrote:

FFS, I wish they didn't take it so damn seriously... one needs to plan one year in advance to lap for an hour in a velodrome... get real!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

FFS, I wish they didn't take it so damn seriously... one needs to plan one year in advance to lap for an hour in a velodrome... get real!
    I think it's just when he's got a gap in his proposed race schedule and will have decent fitness
  • possibly, but over the past decade organising these attempts proved impossible. I think the podium finishers at the worlds should be invited by the UCI to give it a go... if they received a formal invitation, it would be harder to decline and the sponsors would find a way to back them up
  • pinno
    possibly, but over the past decade organising these attempts proved impossible. I think the podium finishers at the worlds should be invited by the UCI to give it a go... if they received a formal invitation, it would be harder to decline and the sponsors would find a way to back them up

Dear Mr Martin,

As you are clearly the best guy against the clock currently, you now have to have an attempt at the hour record on a Merckx replica or it's exile for you in a cottage in Southern Ireland with nothing to eat but Runny Grovels forever.

Yours sincerely
    P McQuaid